Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any issues with the tailgate not opening during cold weather? Getting hit here with some cold weather lately and the lift-gate won't open. All the options to open it result in it popping open, moving about 3 inches and then closing again. When in the garage and thaws a bit it opens fine. It's been exposed to colder temps before with no issues.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I haven't had an issue with my lift gate but I did run into issues with my power windows, especially drive side. The passenger would go all the way down and up but very very slow. The driver side would go down very very slow but wouldn't come back up.

Someone on this forum once said that the dealer told them that Nissans aren't built for cold weather. I believe it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Someone on this forum once said that the dealer told them that Nissans aren't built for cold weather. I believe it.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there aren't any cars built for cold weather. They can add various type of heaters to help starting and such, but that's about all.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Two days ago here it was -40C, which is the same as -40F, at 8:00am and it did not get much warmer during the day. Just a regular winter day when experiencing an Arctic Vortex.

My '18 SL performed just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two days ago here it was -40C, which is the same as -40F, at 8:00am and it did not get much warmer during the day. Just a regular winter day when experiencing an Arctic Vortex.

My '18 SL performed just fine.
Thanks for the info. Weather here is pretty much the same. I figured something is up cause its been in colder weather and worked fine. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know the lift gate can get an ice accumulation on the top so you might have to break the ice off so that the sensors don't think it is hitting something.

Had about of foot of snow this week and the contractor here who clears the snow was late so when I got to work I just parked in all that snow. The drive home was weird to say the least...something did not feel right and then when I went on the highway I felt like I was riding a huge vibrator. I was certain I had a flat tire, but all the sensors were fine. I have never experienced anything like this in all my days driving. Spoke to a tire guy in my bowling league that night and he said it was a snow accumulation stuck on the rim. Drove the Murano into my back shop the next day and let it warm up...was a mess, but that night the problem was gone....he was right.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah I'm currently having the same highway speed vibration. I most likely have snow build up somewhere on a rim. It's normal after driving through snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it into the dealer a couple weeks ago and of course it was working fine the day I took it in. I had taken a video of what it was doing so it gave them an indication of the issue. Service advisor said there was a "stain" in the system saying it had encountered an obstacle either opening or closing which threw off the system. Worked as designed for about a week. got cold again and yup.... same issue, but at no time did it encounter an obstacle when opening or closing. Took it back in again with another video. This time they tell me there is nothing they can do because the system didn't log any issues and its working fine. Service advisor was kind of beating around the bush with an explanation till I said to him "so your telling me its a design flaw." He gave me the subtle head nod which was all that was needed. Pretty pathetic on Nissans part to not realize the vehicle is going to be used in cold climates. Its doing it again, so I'm going to stop in to the dealer without and appointment when its malfunctioning again and keep doing it until they get it fixed. I'm starting to wonder if its just an issue with the struts cause I can't believe this is that common of a problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anyone have any issues with the tailgate not opening during cold weather? Getting hit here with some cold weather lately and the lift-gate won't open. All the options to open it result in it popping open, moving about 3 inches and then closing again. When in the garage and thaws a bit it opens fine. It's been exposed to colder temps before with no issues.
you did not mention the year model of your Murano so consider this. The two lifting struts on the lift gate provide a lot of the force to lift the gate. The motor provides some of the lift but the struts provide the rest. If they are several years old then they may not provide adequate lifting power, especially during very cold weather, to lift the gate. The next time the lift gate will not open try lifting up on it during the process and if it lifts ok then it is probably the struts. Luckily this is an easy do it yourself type fix and not expensive.

Edit. Even if the vehicle is fairly new it still could be the struts, they fail on newer vehicles also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, forgot about that. it's an 18 so still covered under warranty. When its acted up it pops about 3 inches and then the motor pulls it back down. I've turned it off via the button in the glove box and it still will not allow me to open it. Allows me to lift it about 5 inches and then it won't move anymore and I don't want to force it (although if something breaks they will have to fix it then, lol).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts