Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On ocasion, my fuel door will not unlock. I have had to lock/unlock the doors sevral time to get it to open, and a couple times I had to reach in behind the trim panel in the back to manually slide the actuator back in.

Anyone else have this challenge?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Never had that issue on my MO. What happens if you lock and then unlock the doors? Does it help?

Somewhere on this site someone had an issue and they replace the solenoid. Pretty straight forward. I'll be that is all it is. Bad solenoid.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only time I couldn't get it open was when I locked the vehicle after I got in and then got out to get gas. None of my other vehicles did this so I wasn't aware of it and thought it was stuck. Boy did I feel stupid when I read the manual and realized all I had to do was unlock the doors via the switch or keyfob.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I have 2 vehicles besides the MO, europeans... and..

as i recall, both of them have this if-door-is-locked-gas-cap-is-locked-too features.

I think it is for security.
Consider this scneario:
Imagine if you are a son of an embassador (or an important man).
Driving the MO. All of the sudden, someone who is paid to kill you drives by on a motorcycle. Then he pop the gas cap, open it and throw in a cigarete lighter into it. BAMMM... there goes your life and the MO :).

By activating the door lock, you lock the gas cap (door) as well.
Some cars will also lock the trunck at the same time, so it can not be manually open by pressing the trunk-knob.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
mattsmurano said:
On ocasion, my fuel door will not unlock. I have had to lock/unlock the doors sevral time to get it to open, and a couple times I had to reach in behind the trim panel in the back to manually slide the actuator back in.

Anyone else have this challenge?

BUMP:

I do. My fuel door will not open. I have about 1/2 a tank and will get it to the dealer. I know all about the unlock feature. The thing won't open. It happened first a few weeks ago. Then it worked fine for awhile. Now it's seems dead. I've searched these forums looking for an alternate way to open the cap. Is there another release? Has anyone else experienced the non opening fuel door?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, I've had this same problem at less than 1000 miles. The release solenoid is failing or has failed. The first time I took it to the dealer , they 'lubed' the release which worked for a tank or two. Next time, they replaced the solenoid mechanism on warranty and it has worked fine since. Both times, I was running on fumes or so I thought. In reality, you have at least two gallons/ten liters of fuel remaining when the DTE shows zero distance remaining as * on the fuel economy screen.

In the meantime, if you're desperate to get the door open from the inside:
- lift up the spare tire cover and hook it to the ceiling with the strap provided
-remove the small cargo bin cover on the left side in the back
-remove the plastic bin, there are two 10mm bolts retaining it The plastic bin must be wiggled and twisted to get it out, but it will come after you've taken out the two bolts which are obvious.
-pull out the bottom of the fabric inner fender panel, out enough to get your hand/arm in
- you'll see a white plastic assembly on the fender, with a white arm sticking out. Depress the arm/plunger and the fuel door will pop open.

The fuel door can be left slightly ajar when you drive if you have to wait for parts.

The above is not difficult to do and requires only a 10 mm wrench, adjustable wrench or even a pair of pliers to accomplish. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
bruno said:
Yes, I've had this same problem at less than 1000 miles. The release solenoid is failing or has failed. The first time I took it to the dealer , they 'lubed' the release which worked for a tank or two.
That's exactly what they did this morning!!!!

I'll wait for the next failure and insist on the replacement solenoid. Would you have a part number I can quote them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't have a part number, but there are only two parts up there. The one you need is the solenoid assembly. Ask your dealer to order one now, you'll likely need it. The other part is the cabinet door style release. if it doesn't work, you'll be able to pop the door open manually from the outside. If the solenoid fails, you're pooched until the part comes. Worse, you'll have no way to get gas in until you can manually release the fuel door. I'd carry a wrench with me in your position.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dealer has "not been able to verify" the complaint 2wice now. I unplugged the sylenoid so I don't get locked out anymore. It just won't lock now. Ooh well... Nissan service is the most aggrivating I have ever worked with...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Running on fumes, I pulled into the dealers garage this morning. Instead of unscrewing and removing the plastic bin, the mechanic kid just popped off the rubber door hatch seal on the gas cap side of the car. He was able to reach in and pop the solenoid. I had the parts girl order the solenoid and she will call when the part is in stock.

Everyone reading this should keep that bit of info in the back of your head somewhere. Hopefully you'll never have to "break in" to fill up, but ya never know...

I was lucky because the cap would not open in the garage no matter how many times the unlock feature was used. It's BS when the dealer says; "sorry, we can't reproduce the problem, therefore you must be a liar"

bruno said:

In the meantime, if you're desperate to get the door open from the inside:
- lift up the spare tire cover and hook it to the ceiling with the strap provided
-remove the small cargo bin cover on the left side in the back
-remove the plastic bin, there are two 10mm bolts retaining it The plastic bin must be wiggled and twisted to get it out, but it will come after you've taken out the two bolts which are obvious.
-pull out the bottom of the fabric inner fender panel, out enough to get your hand/arm in
- you'll see a white plastic assembly on the fender, with a white arm sticking out. Depress the arm/plunger and the fuel door will pop open.

The fuel door can be left slightly ajar when you drive if you have to wait for parts.

The above is not difficult to do and requires only a 10 mm wrench, adjustable wrench or even a pair of pliers to accomplish. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Ooh I'll keep my fingers crossed my gas door does not hang up on me. But, the last time I said something like this it was about the alternator and it died on me on my drive home that evening! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"Instead of unscrewing and removing the plastic bin, the mechanic kid just popped off the rubber door hatch seal on the gas cap side of the car"

Could we clarify this one a bit.
Shooy, I don't even have a Rubber Door on my Murano.
Must have been an option.
:rolleyes:

No kidding, what exactly are we talking about here?
Pictures?

Homer

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Pictures would be nice but I thought they were referring to the rubber seal about the body where the hatch closes and mates with.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
hfelknor said:
"Instead of unscrewing and removing the plastic bin, the mechanic kid just popped off the rubber door hatch seal on the gas cap side of the car"
Could we clarify this one a bit.
Shooy, I don't even have a Rubber Door on my Murano.
Must have been an option.
:rolleyes:
1. Open rear hatch.
2. Locate rubber gasket.
3. Gently lift gasket edge away from carpeted sidewall.
4. Lift carpeting enough to stick your paw in there.
5. Helen Keller your hand towards gas cap.
6. You will feel a smaller opening that your hand will fit through to allow access to the actuator.
7. When you feel the actuator (it feel about the diameter of a pencil) pull it towards the rear.
8. Gas cap should pop open, if not, while lifting actuator, press on the cap door like you normally would.
9. Fill 'er up.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
IF you got locked out why did they touch the solenoid... that is for the gas cap. There is a TSB if you get locked out that should be applied.... its for a harness in the door. I had it done.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think he means the solenoid for the power locks. Which raises another issue about the rear hatch - how do you unlock it if the power locks are disabled? There is an emergency release inside the hatch cover, but its inaccessible from the outside.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I see... I saw the title but then saw that you said you where locked out. I was thinking out of the car and not the gas filler port.

I got it now. Thanks. :1pat:

·
Registered
33 Posts
It happened to me

My wife called me at work yesterday with this complaint. She was at the gas station and couldn't get the damn thing open. She had appointments and could not take it to the dealer so I ended up bagging a day at work to go and sit at the dealer while they fixed it. The wound up lubricating the latch and sent me on my way.

Didn't mind getting out of work, but spending the afternoon at the dealer is not how I expected to spend my time... :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sticking gas door

I have an '03 and just experienced this same problem of the gas door sticking and took it to the dealer (15,000 mi.). He replaced the part that moves the plunger. Afterwards the problem reoccurred. So that wasn't it.

The next time, I played around with it and found that if I pushed the door in and simultaneously pressed unlock on my key fob, it opened everytime. My guess is that the metal strip on the gas door with the hole in it for the plunger gets hit or snagged during a fill-up and puts it out of alignment so the plunger binds against the strip. (I have the same issue with the back door of my house.)

1 - 20 of 128 Posts