Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy Murano SL 2006 and wanna ask owners about Fuel Economy?

I did read some reviews saying that the real numbers is 14/19 and not 19/24.

thanks

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hey nice choice..... it so depends on your driving habbits. Its true that if you keep it under 60MPH, do all highway and are light on the gas members have reports 24MPG. But lets face it, those conditions might not be realistic. For me I'm pretty light on the pedal, do about 70% highway at speeds of 70-80MPH. I am averaging about 19.5 MPG.

Also if you do decide to get the Murano, keep in mind that until the engine is full broken in your gas mileage will be less.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Bellorusha-

No matter what car you are looking at, the EPA numbers are always greater than the actual numbers. The EPA numbers do not reflect real-world driving cycles.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
there are only a few dozen threads on this here.
Do a search.

I would sell the car if I couldn't get better than 19 at a stead 75 MPH on the interstate.
I have always gotten 24+ at that speed.

The problem come with in town driving.
There is no, including the EPA test, way to standardize in town driving.
It will depend on traffic lights, traffic flow, driving habits, temperature, gas used, etc.
But, in just average driving with NO interstate driving I get about 17.2 MPG in what I would call "suburban" driving.

Everybody starts to get their best mileage starting in and around 10,000 miles.

(I really need to write this up once and cut and paste it it. I must have answered 2 dozen of these because people are too lazy to do a search.)

Homer

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
hfelknor said:
there are only a few dozen threads on this here.
Do a search.

I would sell the car if I couldn't get better than 19 at a stead 75 MPH on the interstate.
I have always gotten 24+ at that speed.

Homer
Homer I don't doubt you but how do you get that kind of milleage at 75 MPH?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Bellorusha-

I understand your concerns, especially after reading the Edmunds review.

First of all I would like to point out that in the review Edmunds states "The Nissan Murano has the best fuel economy in its class". That is nice to know.

The test model that Edmunds used only racked up 5,000 miles. The VQ engine is not fully broken-in until 10,000 miles. It is not surprising that they were unable to generate better numbers.

I found it hard to believe when I first read it, but it is true, the MO does not yield it's best fuel efficiency until around the 10,000 mile mark.

Lately I have been getting 17 around town and 23 on the highway.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
As stated 24 MPG at 75 MPH. This means interstate driving of course. (I don't drive 75 on secondary roads)

How do I do it?
Well, I fill up at a gas station across from the motel, compute my MPG manually, get on the interstate, set the cruise at 75 and drive until lunchtime.
I pull off the interstate and stop at the Cracker Barrel for lunch. I fill up at the gas station across from the Cracker Barrel, and compute my MPG. I drive that afternoon until about 4 or 5 pm and find a motel near the interstate. We often walk to a nearby restaurant for dinner, but sometimes drive a mile or two. We are not looking for haute cusine.
The next day I do it again.

I use Synthetic oil, Mobil1 5W-30
I ran my Goodyears at 33 pounds.
I drive at +5 MPH w/regard to speed limits where possible.
I do get on it pretty good at on-ramps but that is only twice a day.
I use only Top Tier Premium Gas. (typically Shell. But look at the Top Tier website to see what other brands are recommended by BMW, Toyota and Honda.

And that's it.
I average about 24.3 or 24.4 with the air on, i passenger, and typically 200 pounds of luggage, etc.

Homer

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There has never been any demonstrable difference in gas mileage, etc between 2003, 2004, 2005, and now 2006 models, except many 2006s have yet to get 10K miles.

Homer

Reactions: K_ogre

·
Registered
54 Posts
I commute every day to work on part highway and part city streets and my fuel economy hovers just under 20 mpg on mostly 89 octane fuel. I also run my tires at 36 psi all around and don't give a damn where I get my gas at. :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I average 15-16mpg for my around town driving (short trips, about 5 miles each) and 21-22mpg at 75mph on the highway. 93 octane always.

I can get the EPA 24mpg if I set the cruise on 65mph, but then I'd imagine driving at that speed is so boring that it is what it must feel like to be dead. I have no idea how Nissan came up with 20mpg for the city EPA number, because that is impossible to obtain unless all you do is coast downhills while suffocating inside a hot car with no AC or windows open.

·
Registered
92 Posts
According to the MPG average on the computer I get about 23.1 MPG. Rarely any highway. Of course it is a computer measurement and isn't totally accurate but I did the math a couple times and it was within 1 or 2 mpg. I was dissapointed when I traveled interstates to Florida as the gas mileage was about the same. I guess the RPMs stay the same throughout the driving so that prevents it from going any higher. All in all I am happy because you can't find any other SUV with the same power with as good gas mileage. It's a great car as well in other factors. LOTS AND LOTS of legroom. I sat in the passenger side the other day with my legs straight out and I'm 6'1".

·
Registered
78 Posts
After slightly over 3k on a new 2006 SL I'm getting 22.5mpg on the highway at about 70mph. One thing that makes a huge difference is the amount of hills in your area. You can never make up the difference used going uphill even if you coast on the downside.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got about 2.5K miles on my '06 Murano. My tire pressure is at 35 pounds. I dont accelerate very fast and break gently. I use cruise control as much as possible and I put regular gas. My mileage in the city is on average 17mpg and on the interstate it is about 22-23 mpg although once I gotten as high as 25.8 mpg. I find it difficult to get an accurate estimate on the exact mpg because (as most other posts have pointed out) the driving conditions vary between each refills. I take comfort in teh fact that it offers the best mileage in its class AND it is a classy car.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
MrGrin said:
I've got about 2.5K miles on my '06 Murano.
MrGrin-

Your MO is still "brand new" and the engine is far from being broken-in. Your MPG should continue to improve and will peak at around 10K miles.

-njjoe

·
Registered
34 Posts
njjoe said:

MrGrin-

Your MO is still "brand new" and the engine is far from being broken-in. Your MPG should continue to improve and will peak at around 10K miles.

-njjoe
I have 23k miles and I get the exact same mileage as MrGrin. I do tend to accelerate pretty hard from traffic lights though. Can't help it - it's so much fun! :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do 06's require Premium as Consumer Reports indicate? I was wondering as I could not see any difference between the engine output of the various years.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts