Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand fuel economy is related to how we drive. however, i've
driven mostly highway miles close to 60mph by myself or with my wife.
and an empty trunk. still nothing higher than 19.1 mpg.

and GET THIS!

yesterday we left to go to Church which is 20 miles away. as i left
the house, the Distance to Empty (DTE) indicated i had 60 miles left
before empty. well, i traveled no more than 5 miles when the DTE read
20 miles. then i drove another 10 miles when DTE read 2 miles! I
freaked out! i tried to get to my closest gas station. luckily, i
made it with no problems. but how can i rely on this computer if its
screwed up???

I'm very disappointed with Nissan. I think they rushed out the Murano
and did zero quality testing. ANyone feel the same way?

1) Wipers need to be in the up position to clean them or replace
blades
2) Steering off center
3) Fuel economy poor
4) Distance to Empty (DTE) not working properly

is nissan doing anything to help us?

·
Registered
243 Posts
No, certainly don't feel the way you feel, have my MO for about 5 monts and get 19+ in city, I am used to getting about 20 in sedans in this kind of driving. So to get about same milage as a car and get to drive a SUV, no complains.

DTE is just an estimate, based on instant MPG X (estimate of leftover gas), so multiplication of an estimate, multiplied to another estimate is pretty rough guide. If you get in from a highway to a congested street, the miles to empty will be considerably lower.

I have seen DTE jump up and down, but I understand it as computer telling me, hey buddy - with the leftover gasoline in the tank as best as I can guess, the way you are driving NOW you are gonna cover 'may be', say 'roughly' so many miles.

At lower end of tank, say last two gallons, the milage could vary anywhere from 10 to 50 miles, depending on your CURRENT driving pattern.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well, believe me, I will not defend Nissan.

But I love my MO.

Maybe the DTE being bad is a symptom of a failure somewhere.
Let's face it even __________ (Fill in the blank with your favorite car) have failures.

And if the DTE is wrong, have you considered that the MPG is probably wrong too?

I think your DTE AND your MPG calculation are probably off.
They both use the same sensors and the same computer to figure the numbers.

There is a strong liklihood that you are getting better than 19 MPG at 60 mph.

Have you manually checked your MPG?

No comment on the wipers. That's a design issue.
Every car has em.

Steering off center is no biggie. Have them fix it. It's just alignment that may have been knocked awry on the ship.
Or where? Didn't you notice it when you drove it at the checkout?
In any event it's under warranty. (Now of course, it IS a matter of degree. If the thing is off a 1/4", you might be considered unreasonable)

Homer

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've found the mpg indicator doesn't update itself as quickly as I would like but the DTE so far has been bang on.

I personally believe my fuel economy to be excellent for the type of vehicle it is. My two previous vehicles were Pathfinders and the MO beats them hands down. The MO gets in the city what the PF used to get on the highway. On the highway, I'm getting about 850+ km or about 530 miles. If my math is right, that's about 25 mpg. And that's driving about 70 mph (usually around 115 kph). Definitely no complaints here. Now, if I were previously driving a Jetta TDI, perhaps I might have some complaints, but I never have and never will drive a Jetta TDI. A good vehicle, but not my style.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The MPG guage doesn't give an instantaneous reading, so if you did a lot of city driving, no amount of freeway driving will make the value go up substantially. If you reset the MPG display, it will give you the equivalent of an instantaneous reading (or close to it) for a short while. As the the DTE guage, it depends on driving conditions. If your gas needle shows a 1/4 tank and DTE reads 10 miles, then yes there is a problem. If your gas light is on solid and it shows 10 miles, the DTE is working fine.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I can have the vehicle warmed up, stop and refill the gas, reset the indicator, go immediately to the freeway, drive 65, and see 24-26mpg indicated. On level ground (or when coasting in D) I see 30mpg indicated. I get off the freeway, and drive home. By the time I'm there, my mileage has usually dropped to around 22.1 or so.

Next morning, when the vehicle is cold, I have noticed my mileage just s***s until the car warms up. I'll drop way down to 18-19 average (less than 10 indicated), until I hit the freeway again, the car warms up, and boom, up it goes.

I can see how you could easily, depending on your driving habits, get low mileage especially if all your trips are less than 5 miles and on surface streeets with normal stop and go traffic.

The DTE feature is interesting but somewhat unreliable at any particular moment, particularly when the Murano is first started in the morning. Mine has indicated less than 10 miles to empty first thing after a cold start, and then moved up to 20 or more as it warms up. Again a function of reporting it's calculations based on it's current operating conditions.

IMO, the pilot of the vehicle still has to use some logic to interpet what the gauges and indicators are reporting at any given time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts