Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since gasoline prices have increased (too much recently), I started monitoring the fuel economy of our 2004 SL. Both the computer and manual calculations resulted in 16.4 MPG and this was all highway driving for 600 miles. Has anyone had this poor of performance?

·
5,268 Posts
I am getting 22 - 24 highway driving (70 - 80 mph)

City, or "suburbia" driving - 18 - 20 mpg.

My FX35 which is driven in heavy traffic (and my wife has lead foot!) gets poor 16 mpg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is 18.5 avg

My avg for mixed city and hwy is 18.5 in my awd sl. I have 3500 mi on it so far with no problems.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mine was about 19 in mixed driving. These past few tankfuls I've been making an effort to NOT pass everything in sight and I've gotten it up to 21.5. Go figure.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ours is still getting better - about 22K miles. It could be due to the weather being warmer and having it reach operating temp sooner - but we are getting about 17-18 in Chicago rush hour traffic.

For those that don't know - that is flooring it at every light - staying in it until you have to stop - not letting off the gas to early because someone will sneak in on you - accelerating because someone turned on their blinker to move in - honking - and then riding their bumper for the next 2 miles or doing anything you can to get in front - just to prove your point :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm at 10k and I'm getting about 19 in city driving....around 22 on the highway.

GM....If that's really the way you drive, I'm glad I don't live in Chicago! :2:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I get about 15mpg driving in the city, and about 20-21 on the highway doing about 75 mph. Its not EPA numbers but other than Hondas, I have not heard of any cars getting EPA numbers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting 19 to 20miles/g in the summer and 17 to 18 in the winter (in Minnesota). I drive 5 miles to work. I think this is pretty good for the vehicle size. I went on a trip 200 miles and registered only 20m/g at speeds 70 to 90miles/h, but on the way back got 24miles/g at around 65miles/h; the speed is crucial as expected. Also important is how one accelerates. This car leaves the stop like like a bullet without realizing it; notice the traffic around you, it gets always well behind. One has to watch the acceleration. I love the car, but would look into a hybrid Murano (CVT is a must).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have gotten as high as 26mpg with cruise set at 65 for a 50 mile trip, and as low as 12 in the city stop and go. I averaged about 18.2 both city and highway (~75mph), but have switched to synthetic oil and now get 19.5 mpg average.

·
Registered
792 Posts
fdonaghy said:
I'm at 10k and I'm getting about 19 in city driving....around 22 on the highway.

GM....If that's really the way you drive, I'm glad I don't live in Chicago! :2:
A slight exaggeration - very very very slight.

;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been experimenting quite a bit to see where the optimal balance is for speed and mileage. I commute about 160 km each day so with gas prices climbing I thought I had better make an effort. What I have found is obvious but some empirical support is always nice. Slower = better milage. I have gotten the following results consistently during highway driving.

100 kph avg = 10.2 l/100km ==> 62 mph = 23 mpg
110 kph avg = 10.8 l/100km ==> 68 mph = 21.9 mpg
120 kph avg = 11.8 l/100km ==> 74 mph = 19.9 mpg
130 kph avg = 12.3 l/100km ==> 80 mph = 19.1 mpg
140 kph avg = 12.7 l/100km ==> 87 mph = 18.5 mpg

I have about 20,000 km on my MO now so I think the mileage is as good as its going to get with age.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the 04 MO, SL with touring package only few days ago . In the very first tank of gas I got just 14.2 miles/gallon (mixed driving). Is this normal for the initial weeks? Will the fuel economy ever improve? Any comments?

Regards.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Your low fuel economy is a combination of the fact that your engine is new and not yet broken in, and a heavy foot. The Murano can get EPA numbers if you drive it VERY conservatively.

That said, I drive to keep up with traffic, and as a result, I get around 15mpg city, 20 highway. Do a search for fuel economy and you will see that most people get low mpg in the Murano (its too fun not to stomp on the gas).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah Max,

Bought my MO about 3 weeks ago and I'm in the same boat as you. Sometimes I get 12-13 miles in the city, LOL! I'm working on the engine break in thing too; do a forum search for "engine break in" and you'll find some informative posts from the experienced and tech savvy MO owners here. I've also tried a little light-footed driving and managed to get 25 mpg on the hwy, so I know that she can do it.

I gotta say that it's real hard to resist stepping on the gas and feeling the V6 and and the CVT set you back in your seat though! You gotta have some fun with your MO once in awhile!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have found that a reset of the computer can have a positive effect on your gas mileage I had the alternator replaced a couple of weeks ago and last week the cd player both times the dealer disconected the battery to perform the work. Each time I noticed a substantial increase in gas mileage from 16.5 to 17.5 on the first go round and now up to 19.4 on the second. I drive 30 hwy 70% city and try to stay out of the gas peddle unless someone is messing with me then I blow them away.

After the last reset I noticed a the response on the gas peddle was harsher and I could feel a bit more of a kick in the pants when I hit the gas where as before it was quick but smooth.

I think the learning computer some times just goes in the wrong direction when you drive the Murano hard it softens the response and your gas mileage over time. I think I will be resetting the computer every few months when I see it has picked up bad habits
again.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My Mo at almost 7000 miles but hardly on the interstates geting 20.8 MPG. I was hoping to break the 21 MPG barrier for a couple of months now but it has not happened yet.
My Altima with the same 3.5 engine now at 27000 miles but gets a mind blowing 27.8 MPG. The Alti is my highway transport and 90 percent of the driving with that car is zipping along at 70-80 MPH.

Bob1

·
Registered
203 Posts
I tried something a couple of days ago. Got behind a Big rig with a 48' box, drafted him at 98 km/hr (61 mph) and reset the computer. After a few minutes the new reading came up 29.8 MPG. I then pulled away from him, reset and tried at the same speed but no draft, 22.5 mpg. This is not recommended by any means, I was just curious to see the difference. Best gas milage seems to be between 55 and 60 mph.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yeah Snow. The Murano came out of a designers pen, with only a little help from the computer/wind tunnel.
It has a very high CD of .36 or .37.

We could have better MPG.......course it would look like an assteck.:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would drive a Murano even if it got 25 gallons to the mile rather than be caught dead in an Aztec. :BARF:

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you reset the computer, do you have to re-program all the extra features (seatback on exit, auto lights sensitivity, auto light shutoff seconds, memory seats, etc...).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts