Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the car runs out of fuel and there are some 50 miles left the fuel lamp comes on. But because it is in the same amber color as the rest of the instruments I already twice nearly ended up without any fuel left - once the DTE said "2 miles to empty", the other time it just said "you are busted - we are empty" (showing * instead of the distance).

So why is that vitally important light camouflaging? Any way to make it brighter, and make it red so it jumps into my face when it gets on? Can I exchange the bulb? Or LED or whatever?

I'm not even talking about the accuracy of the DTE display- this seems to be heavily dependant on the car's inclination (try parking uphill, and then downhill)

Anyone who can help me here?

Lutz

·
Registered
487 Posts
It would be nice to have an indicator come up on the display screen (NAV version), like what pops up for maintenance reminders and if a door is ajar.

I think you can change the bulb, but it would be hard to get to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree. I was very dissapointed the other day when I intentionally let my tenk drop into the E. I was expecting a big red picture of a fuel pump in my NAV display and maybe even a "Fuel Level is Low" voice prompt from the NAV DVD - similar to my 1985 300ZX. But the little yellow light just came on without so much as a chime to warn me to look for something. I'm hoping for a firmware upgrade in 6 months or so to add some of these kinds of features. Otherwise, I love this car more than any I've had before.

Jon

·
5,244 Posts
I understand you guys but then again, after driving for several years in place where from one gas station to another was sometimes 200 -300 kms i got to a habit always checking the fuel level. (learned it hard way, a gas station was closed, next one -150 kms away! Made it on vapor!) Since then I said - never again!

Now I almost never drive with needle below 1/4.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
LOL...

My father owned a car that the gas guage didn't work in. He would want to drive it somewhere and I'd ask him how much gas he has and the reply was "oh we got 50 miles at least". Yeah well, we got 5 miles down the road and poof. Next time he said he'd drive, I said oh no you won't, not until you get that POS fixed, I ain't ever riding with you again, you ride with me if we're going! He never did get it fixed, just went to the bone yard that way. But I never rode with him in that car again.

I refill mine at half tank unless on a long trip. And if a car is going to set for a while, I fill her up. Cuts down on the water build up.

·
5,244 Posts
OK, you got me thinking so I have bended my rules and tried to run out of gas. The light at fuel gauge indicating “low level” came on when needle was at approximately “E” – empty. The computer was indicating 50 MTE. I drove another 30 miles – computer drop to 16 MTE. Got really scared. Put in 17.6 gal.

So, Nissan claims tanks capacity 21 5/8 US gallons. It would mean that there still was 4 gallons left! RESERVE??????

After filling up the tank computer indicated 500 MTE and 24.5 mpg. What does all this mean? For us probably that computer “assumes” approximately 20 gallons of gas in the tank. When the light comes on there is still 3 – 4 gallons left.

Anybody out there with similar experience?

·
El Pomidoro!
28 Posts
I've driven my MO to the lights several times now and within a few miles of it turning on i fill up to just under 19 gallons. The last time i drove 30 miles with the light on, with ac and going 75 on the highway. i as i was driving into the gas station my indicator was on the E line.

I shut off and filled her up. 20.4 gallons and $37 later i put the fuel nozzle back on the pump i hear my MO burp for a good 5-7 seconds. probably since she drank so much and the fuel compresed the vapors to the top by the gasket. i didn't put any more gas in though... i probably would have fit another .6 gallons.

I think it is safe to say that there are about 25 highway miles @ the light... more if you turn off the ac and drive 60mph.

Leo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Running the fuel low....

Besides the possibility of running out, Running the fuel low can damage the fuel pump.
The pump is mounted inside the fuel tank, and is "cooled" by the surrounding fuel. It is also lubricated by fuel, and if the fuel level is low, it may cause cavitation, and air will enter the pump. (Increasing wear) Also, dirt has a better chance of finding it's way into the pump when the tank is low.

Keeping the fuel level from going below 1/4 tank, will help insure long fuel pump life. (and avoid a breakdown!) :eek:

·
El Pomidoro!
28 Posts
Ah, thanks for the info Muranizer. I'll be sure to keep a bit of extra fuel in the tank.

btw... where in s. florida are you? maybe we saw eachother pass by?

i find myself in jupiter a lot.

Leo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, Red.

I am also around the Jupiter area alot. I have seen a few MO's on a regular basis.
One is silver, another is white, I have seen a gold MO on Donald Ross rd. several times. And a black SL at the grocery store where I shop. I even met the owner of the black one. (A woman) She was caught checking out my Pewter SL awd.

All the other MO's, I see while riding my bike. They must think I'm wierd while I am always waving, or giving them a thumbs up!

·
El Pomidoro!
28 Posts
well, you've spotted me alright! i'm the gold murano on donald ross. i use that road to get to work.

I've seen a black MO with front tinted windows around the winn-dixie on indiantown rd a couple times.

I've seen a silver MO going north on US1 several times with aftermarket rims.

Haven't seen the white one yet.

I dont think I saw you on the road but I did see a pewter MO the other day that was parked in the publix plaza in front of barrymores. was that you?

Leo

·
5,244 Posts
RedPomidor - why name like that? Why not just RedTomato. Kidding only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, Red Toma- I mean Pomidor,

Every Tuesday & Thursday evening, I can be seen riding my bike on Donald Ross between US1 & Prosperity Farms. (That's part of my 22 mile workout ride.) Since hills are scarce around here, I have found a route that takes me over three bridges. (Blue Heron, Don Ross, & Prosp. Farms). I finish my ride going south on Military Trail (Hood rd to Northlake)

So if you see some guy riding a red Cannondale mountain bike with a small cooler srtapped on the back waiving to ya, That's Me!

·
El Pomidoro!
28 Posts
Kris,

You got it, pomidor is tomato in Russian and a few other languages. I've had variations on Pomidor since I first got on the net in 97.

Muranizer,

that sure is hell of a trek! you remind me of a professor i had... he rode his bike all over the place in that general viscinity (mainly military).

If I see you I shall definately wave!

Leo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts