Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question please advise. When you open your gas tank tab you are suppose to hear a sound right? The wooisshh sound of the tank vapor pressure and Im not getting that. Also today when i steped on the gas the car stalls. So my question is:

1- Is the fuel pressure sensor in within the Fuel Pump Module Assembly itself? or separately

My OBD is not throwing a code for it but when i go and do the emissions test on the OBD it says that my evap system fails

Everytime I work on my car something else breaks. I changed the fuel level sensors because I was getting a code for it but then again my gauges don't work properly. Im assuming it has to do with the Evap pressure issue. I have a 240sx that it was turning on and running but when i did a fuel pressure test it fail. It also wasnt doing that woooisshh sound once you open your gas tank tab. I changed the fuel pump and back to normal after testing and the wooiisshh sound came back to life again :) In this case what confuse me is that I see that they sell a fuel pressure sensor and then the sending unit as well. What is What? And where this sensor goes?

Thanks

·
Administrator
9,283 Posts
Didn't you post this same problem recently? Perhaps my memory is incorrect.

If the emission test shows that he car fails, believe it. The next step is diagnosis. The most common emissions test failure these days is probably a bad gas cap. It's so common that when my 2007 was tested at a Colorado government test site, the gent there suggested that it was most likely the gas cap. It was.

You seem to be confusing some things. What a 240ZX does is irrelevant to what a Murano does. They're completely different generations of technology and emissions.

You used OBD twice, but they don't seem to mean the same thing. By the first "OBD", what kind of test do you mean? If you mean these are stored trouble codes, who read them - you or a shop? What does the second "OBD" mean, and what kind of test was it? Evidently not the same thing. Please be specific about what kind of tests were performed and by who.

If you're drawing a lot of vacuum in the tank, then that could indeed prevent fuel from feeding properly. In many cases, that could be a plugged evap system, often caused by overfilling the tank.

If you can separate the issues and be specific about how your information was obtained, maybe we can be of more help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't you post this same problem recently? Perhaps my memory is incorrect.

If the emission test shows that he car fails, believe it. The next step is diagnosis. The most common emissions test failure these days is probably a bad gas cap. It's so common that when my 2007 was tested at a Colorado government test site, the gent there suggested that it was most likely the gas cap. It was.

You seem to be confusing some things. What a 240ZX does is irrelevant to what a Murano does. They're completely different generations of technology and emissions.

You used OBD twice, but they don't seem to mean the same thing. By the first "OBD", what kind of test do you mean? If you mean these are stored trouble codes, who read them - you or a shop? What does the second "OBD" mean, and what kind of test was it? Evidently not the same thing. Please be specific about what kind of tests were performed and by who.

If you're drawing a lot of vacuum in the tank, then that could indeed prevent fuel from feeding properly. In many cases, that could be a plugged evap system, often caused by overfilling the tank.

If you can separate the issues and be specific about how your information was obtained, maybe we can be of more help.
All tests have been done by me with two different OBD's. Is easy to read and diagnose with them. When I used my 240sx as an example even though they are different i mean wayyy different generation when it comes to gas pressure they all do the same sound once you open the gas cap. By the way I already bough a couple of gas cap with no change.
It was a simple question as to why Im not getting the woooiiisshhh sound which i had before and i think is because of a faulty pressure sensor in which according to my search is within the fuel pump assembly.
Thanks for your help I will get it to the shop tomorrow and see what they come up with. Stand By!

·
Administrator
9,283 Posts
OK, back to my question. I'm trying to understand what testing you have done, and what are the two systems you refer to. I am guessing that you are referring to one or more external diagnostic systems which plug into the OBDII port...but what kind, I don't know.

I evidently have a different expectation than you do. I do not expect there to be a vacuum in the fuel tank causing a "whoosh" when the cap is removed and air rushes in. That should not happen.

But if the evaporative circulation canister or system is plugged, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no trouble code, as it's not an electronic system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, back to my question. I'm trying to understand what testing you have done, and what are the two systems you refer to. I am guessing that you are referring to one or more external diagnostic systems which plug into the OBDII port...but what kind, I don't know.

I evidently have a different expectation than you do. I do not expect there to be a vacuum in the fuel tank causing a "whoosh" when the cap is removed and air rushes in. That should not happen.

But if the evaporative circulation canister or system is plugged, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no trouble code, as it's not an electronic system.
Ok, The OBD scanners that I have lets take that out of the subject for now is not rocket science to read an OBD and diagnose yourself. Anyways The first code that i got for it was my fuel level sensors which is P0463 so I bough new ones and got them install myself Oh btw is was a pain in the ^%$ to lock the driver side. Then after installing them i see my fuel gauge is not doing whats suppose to do and my car is startlling at high speed. At this time im not getting a code maybe ill get one later who knows how long the ECM will take to pick that issue. What I do know is like i said before that Every car once you open the fuel cap you hear the preassure from the tank coming out no going IN as a vacuum like you said, on the contrary i repeat the sound or pressure is coming out of the tank, HAve you never heard that sound once you go and fill your tank? . Soo basically that means I have a faulty fuel pump because the fuel preassure sensor is integrated in the fuel pump assembly itself and thats what I was searching for and the reason for I was confuse is because they do sell a fuel pressure sensor separately but is better to buy the whole fuel pump assembly.

·
Administrator
9,283 Posts
The only time I've heard air rushing out of a tank is on my 38-year-old 1983 280ZX Turbo if I fill it at the end of a hot day. Didn't happen on my 07 Murano, nor on either of our BMW 3-series, and not on our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

You may very well be right, but I still think something is not right in the evaporative emissions system. I wish you good luck! (y)

·
Registered
218 Posts
" It also wasnt doing that woooisshh sound once you open your gas tank tab."
Like Pilgrim said I think you posted this same issue before.
As I stated in the previous post you should not get a "woooisshh sound " when you release your gas cap.
Some vehicles did it in the 60's and 70's but not in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well after replacing both fuel level sensors and didnt work I had to replace the fuel pump assembly and that FIXED tthe Issue and no more codeP 0463, still want to do a fuel pressure test maybe tomorrow. The misfire code got fixed as well no more code for it. Now I got the code for P057 Idle Control system RPM Higher Than Expected. I already checked for any vacuum leaks and its fine. I just order the Engine : Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve / Solenoid and install it next week, Still have the infamous P0420 code on bank1 so I bough the bank 1 catalictic and a Fuel/air sensor since i already replace the downstream O2 sensor with a good brand same as for the catalyctic. So im not doing the Cat until I get my Selenoid part to see if that makes any difference. Almost there! OH Btw does anyone knows where is the location of the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor please dont tell me is at the tank :) I cant find anything where it pinpoints the exact location.
Thanks

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts