Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cars giving me problems accelerating uphill and my gas gage is not reading properly. I jus got the car from my mom as she works at a dealership and the car came in for a trade off. When I first got the car the battery and break light were on so I changed the alternator. No lights on since. But the previous owners said their mechanic said the fuel pump had to be changed so I'm at the mechanice about to change it now. Will a bad fuel pump effect my mpg and mph? It stalls sometimes while I'm driving and the mph and Mpg are doing down drastically. My mpg is at 10.8 and my mph is at 9.5. Any suggestions? Can it be the fuel pump alone? I also bought spark plugs to do a tune up as I don't know when was the last time it received one.

·
Administrator
9,283 Posts
How much do you know about cars? It's not clear from your post.

Priority #1 is to have a shop read the trouble codes. If none are present, that's good, but chances are that there are some. If so, deal with them.

The previous owner's mechanic may have been right or wrong. Something is causing the drop in mileage, but why would a bad fuel pump reduce mileage?? Stalling might be a symptom if the fuel pump is no delivering enough gas, but there is probably a different reason that gas mileage is down. You need to find out what's going on.

You "mph is 9.5?" It's not clear that you know what that means: that means the car will only travel 9.5 miles per hour. I doubt that's true.

Have your mechanic check the oil in the transmission (it's a CVT) and READ the owner's manual. The CVT transmission is different than ANY other kind of transmission you have ever driven. it has no gears, just pulleys.

Changing the spark plugs requires removing and re-installing the intake manifold. If you're not good with tools, don't try this yourself. If you are good with tools, your first stop should be Nicoclub.com to download the service manual.

Have the trouble codes read before getting carried away with changing aprts.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The problems with accelerating uphill can be caused by a relatively common problem, a leak in the engine air intake duct. Inspect it carefully for holes/rips/tears, especially in the folds.

Also have it scanned for OBD2 error codes, then post them here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much do you know about cars? It's not clear from your post.

Priority #1 is to have a shop read the trouble codes. If none are present, that's good, but chances are that there are some. If so, deal with them.

The previous owner's mechanic may have been right or wrong. Something is causing the drop in mileage, but why would a bad fuel pump reduce mileage?? Stalling might be a symptom if the fuel pump is no delivering enough gas, but there is probably a different reason that gas mileage is down. You need to find out what's going on.

You "mph is 9.5?" It's not clear that you know what that means: that means the car will only travel 9.5 miles per hour. I doubt that's true.

Have your mechanic check the oil in the transmission (it's a CVT) and READ the owner's manual. The CVT transmission is different than ANY other kind of transmission you have ever driven. it has no gears, just pulleys.

Changing the spark plugs requires removing and re-installing the intake manifold. If you're not good with tools, don't try this yourself. If you are good with tools, your first stop should be Nicoclub.com to download the service manual.

Have the trouble codes read before getting carried away with changing aprts.
Replacing the fuel pump worked and fixed my problems. Thanks tho

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problems with accelerating uphill can be caused by a relatively common problem, a leak in the engine air intake duct. Inspect it carefully for holes/rips/tears, especially in the folds.

Also have it scanned for OBD2 error codes, then post them here.
No codes came up but replacing the fuel pump seemed to have worked so far so good.

·
Administrator
9,283 Posts
No codes came up but replacing the fuel pump seemed to have worked so far so good.
Just for grins, I suggest you check the air intake hose too. It's a common failure part, and it can be intermittent. And checking it is free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My cars giving me problems accelerating uphill and my gas gage is not reading properly. I jus got the car from my mom as she works at a dealership and the car came in for a trade off. When I first got the car the battery and break light were on so I changed the alternator. No lights on since. But the previous owners said their mechanic said the fuel pump had to be changed so I'm at the mechanice about to change it now. Will a bad fuel pump effect my mpg and mph? It stalls sometimes while I'm driving and the mph and Mpg are doing down drastically. My mpg is at 10.8 and my mph is at 9.5. Any suggestions? Can it be the fuel pump alone? I also bought spark plugs to do a tune up as I don't know when was the last time it received one.
That would be more of a fuel injector issue not the fuel pump. Have them run test on the injector

1 - 7 of 7 Posts