Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer (Ann Arbor Nissan) offered to do the fuel tank shield recall when I went in for an oil change today since he had the part in stock. (I haven’t received a notice in the mail as yet). It took about a half hour and changes the side appearance of the MO somewhat since the shield is visible from either side if you’re standing more than a few paces away from the car.
Dealer also ordered parts for a seatbelt recall.

Here are a few pictures of the shield.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Great clear pictures! Thanks. I should get mine done soon as well.

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jballchat said:
Thanks for the great pics. Is the shield metal or molded plastic?
Looks like plastic.
The shield is black molded plastic. Also the dealer said that no drilling is required. NNA figured out a way to bolt it on it using existing mount points.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Wow! Has your MPG gone down with that thing?

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I'm still waiting to see what the aluminum shield looks like. I have a feeling I'll like it better for my Platinum MO than the black plastic one.

Has anyone seen it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Am I missing something or is the bottom of the tank not shielded still? IF so what's the point of this?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Corin said:
I'm still waiting to see what the aluminum shield looks like. I have a feeling I'll like it better for my Platinum MO than the black plastic one.

Has anyone seen it?
It will most likely be black painted aluminum, so the look will not be different. An example is the oil pan on the MO - its aluminum, but also black color.

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
samwlee said:
Am I missing something or is the bottom of the tank not shielded still? IF so what's the point of this?
You are correct. Only the front of the tank is shielded. I guess they expect anything kicked up by the front tires to hit the front of the tank. The shield extends a little below the level of the tank and they may be expecting that "lip" to protect the bottom of the tank from anything coming at it from an angle. I would have preferred the shield to continue along the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Holy crap that looks like ass. And I mean that in the most sincere "let's take a beautifully sculpted SUV body and add a snowplow to the bottom of it" kind of way :2:

Absulutely no disrespect intended at mdave2 or his MO, btw. In fact, thank you for posting so many good pics of the part. :29:

·
5,244 Posts
It looks absolutely awful! I cannot imagine installing this on my car. The middle muffler is ugly enough. And now this! I think whoever designed this “protector” should attend classes in art.

I had a look at my car and am positive I could do much better. And most likely I will.

Still it is beyond me how somebody can design such beautiful cars (latest Nissans and Infinitis) and not see such an ugly thing…..hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kris said:

I had a look at my car and am positive I could do much better. And most likely I will.
I notice it jutting out everytime I approach the MO.
Kris, (or anyone else for that matter) if you figure out a better shield please share it with us. I for one would love to get rid of this misplaced air dam on my car. I really do not like the look of it from the side, (not to mention possible issues with deep snow, aerodynamics, mileage etc).
If the svc mgr had not mentioned the fact that he's seen a couple of damaged fuel tanks, I would probably take the damn thing (pun not intended) off.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
:28: U G L Y

It looks like it belongs on a Ford F-150.

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 152 Posts