Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this? I know several members have posted their experiences with the MO fuel tank but it looks like it is being looked into by the feds..

"AUTO INDUSTRY REPORT: Nissan Murano probed

September 20, 2005

The government has opened an investigation into whether the fuel tank in the Nissan Murano SUV is susceptible to punctures from road debris during normal driving.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday that the inquiry involved about 124,000 Muranos from the 2004 through 2005 model years. About 140,000 of the SUVs from the 2003 through 2005 model years were recalled in August because of concerns that a broken wire within the alternator could deplete power and lead to a crash.

NHTSA said it received four complaints of the fuel tanks being punctured during normal driving conditions, leading to fuel leakage and the need for a replacement tank. The agency will conduct a preliminary investigation to determine the extent of the problem."

·
5,244 Posts
I think somebody mentioned it.

It looks like I can get both, the alt and the tank fixed during same dealer visit!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Kris said:
I think somebody mentioned it.

It looks like I can get both, the alt and the tank fixed during same dealer visit!
I wonder why the 2003 is not effected/included in the investigation?
They forget about 03s? or it is not effected at all?

·
5,244 Posts
Good question. Did Nissan change tank design from 03 to 04? I doubt it. So it is likely all Muranos are affected. Let's wait and see

·
Read Only
554 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into this. I mean, come on - you run over something and it flies up and hits your gas tank. Hit something hard enough and it will puncture any tank - not just the Murano's. Unlike the alternator issue, I'm betting this goes no where. Ask yourself - where is the defect? Gasoline tanks were never meant to be bullet proof. Besides, four complaints in a vehicle population of how many? I'm not going to worry as I continue to drive my Murano with the upgraded alternator!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I'm not loosing sleep over it any how but I bet there are federal standards that the tank must pass. So it would seem that it is just a matter of ensuring the tanks meets these standards and that there isn't a weak point in the tank itself.

"Remember, its not the gas that will kill you its the fumes" - 1987 High School Science Teacher

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similiar problem for you. We just bought our Murano on Wednesday, Dec 28th 2005. The Murano had 29 miles on it at delivery. BTW, it was raining when we bought it... We left the dealer after being there 4 hours with a small child. We went to get some dinner. We got out of the car after a 6 mile drive to the restaurant. Upon exiting the vehicle I smelled gas. I assumed it was the vehicle I parked next too. We then came back from dinner back to the Murano and proceeded to our next stop. When I got out again, I smelled gas again. I begin to get suspicious. We came back and didnt smell it. We went to the next stop and smelled it again. The next stop after that was home. I pulled it in the garage and looked for a leak. No leak found because the underneath was wet from the rain. The whole next day, I spent clay baring, and washing the car twice, and applying a fresh coat of wax. The car didnt move the whole day.

I called the salesmen that day and told him about the gas smell, he said that the guy probable overfilled the tank when he filled it up. He said it took 22.5 gallons to fill it up. I said okay, I will buy that, I guess.

The next day we left to go to a friends house with my son and wife in the car. When we got to there house, low and behold we smelled gas again. I looked under the car and saw gas leaking from the top of the tank and running down the front of it and dripping on the ground. I called the dealer and took the car in. He asked if I thought it was safe to drive, I said I hope so.

I pulled into the service lane and got out, still smelling raw gas, not burning rich but raw gas, like sticking your noise in a gas can.

I gave the keys to the man, and he wrote me up. He said how many miles are on it, I said, "about 50 or 60 miles. He said okay and went out and looked at it, to get the exact mileage. The worked on the car and gave us a loaner. I call them around closing time and they tell me they found the leak for sure, but could find anything wrong yet. I will have to be without the car for the weekend at least, until they can trouble shoot some more. He did say they called California Tech line and they told them to replace the tank. They didnt have any other thing to tell them.

I found out I have to bring the loaner back to get another loaner. So I go back. I tell them, that I dont want this Murano. I dont want to wait for them to figure out what is wrong with this brand new Murano and wait for parts. I want either my money back or to get a new Murano. Afterall this one was defective and unsafe to drive from the moment it was delivered. They told me not to worry about it. They will make things good, just hold on until monday. Well they gave us another new Murano to drive as a loaner (it was a demo, but very nice). We left Friday night and came back home. I get a call Saturday morning telling me the Murano we are driving as a loaner is sold. So I have to drive 25 minutes back there to give them that car back. They are going to give me another loaner. I had my fill of all this nonsence about now. I told him I will be there in about an hour. But I want my money back and my old car (that was perfectly fine). OR I want them to find me a 2006 Murano and give this as a replacement and they can disect this one and find out what is wrong with it.

I get the run around when I get there. They try to charge me 1500 in depreciation becuase they had already sent the title work of and electronically delivered the car through Nissan and could reverse the sale. We decide that is a no go for sure.

Next step is 1-800-Nissan-1 . I am going to have to call and make a stink with them to try to get a replacement vehicle. We have only put about 35 miles on the car since it was delivered to us. All 35 miles were unsafe and leaking gas near the hot exhaust pipes. I hope things can get solved ammicably.

One pissed of Mo owner. I guess you can figure out the reason for the username.

Brian

·
Registered
51 Posts
LeakyMo, I am in NC also, was wondering what dealer you are dealing with? I think you have a 3 or 30(not sure which one) day period that you can return car for any reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will refrain from using any names yet. There used to be a 3 day (cooling off) period that was mandated by the Federal Trade Commision. However this law is now governed by the individual state. NC does not offer this 3 day right of recision anymore. Except on door to door sales, or sales that were solicited. So neither one of those apply to us in this case.

It seems rather rediculous that Nissan would not make good on this deal. The car is undriveable, and was delivered to us in an Undriveable (and entirely unsafe) state. We didnt drive the car except to take it home, and bring it back after the leak was found. We are just asking for a vehicle change, so we arent out of our vehicle before we even got to put 40 miles on it.

Hopefully Nissan will do something to alleviate the problem. Its not that the quality sucked at delivery, you are taking the the lives of your family in your own hands when you buy a vehicle like this.

BTW, we traded in a perfectly good 2001 Nissan Maxima Anniversary Edition with 57K miles on it. Just traded it because we wanted something bigger because we are expecting another baby in June.

Brian

·
Registered
78 Posts
some good some not so good

Leaky,

I am in NC also, around Charlotte. I bought mine in Greensboro and had a good experience. I had a so-so to poor experience at another dealer in the area, and then an excellent one nearby as well at another place. PM me if you want the dealer names.

Good luck getting the Murano right, it will be worth the wait.

Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts