Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although much has been posted on the fuel tank shield recall, I do recall seeing any mention of the fuel TANK recall. The following was posted on MY SERVICE PAGE:

Campaign Number : 06V054000 Date : 2/21/2006

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY

Defect Summary: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, A FITTING FOR VAPOR RECIRCULATION, WHICH IS WELDED ON THE FUEL TANK, MAY COME OFF THE FUEL TANK BECAUSE INCORRECT MATERIAL WAS USED.

Consequence Summary: THIS COULD RESULT IN THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL COMING ON AND MAY RESULT IN SOME FUEL LEAKAGE. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL TANK WITH A NEW ONE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 20, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

I believe this recall affects certain 2005 MOs only.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

-njjoe

·
42 Posts
Sheesh, even my Ford didn't have this many recalls, or for that matter ANY recalls that left it with butt ugly bits of obvious / visible plastic. So much for Nissan workmanship and design.

I hope this one isn't as incompetently designed as the shield was.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mdave2 said:
I hope this one isn't as incompetently designed as the shield was.
No, from what I understand the "new" tank is the same OEM tank but with the correct fitting welded on. As stated in the recall, the problem is not with the tank, but with the welded fitting.

I wonder if the new tank comes with the new ('06) style stick-on rubber shield. I'd like to think so.

-njjoe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts