Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after reading through multiple pages on the fuel shield recall, which I got a couple weeks ago, did anyone get the notice on the voluntary recall to replace the ENTIRE fuel tank? My 2005 SL MO apparently needs the whole tank replaced, according to the dealership. So, go figure...they put on the ugly, but potentially fire-preventing fuel shield and sent me home with an parts order in for the tank. Fuel shield first, THEN the tank replacement? okaaaay... I'm a little weary of the order they are doing the work, and I really hope they give me the gas back that was in my old tank, or replenish it.

Here is the recall info I found on-line:

Recall Date:
FEB 21, 2006

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, A FITTING FOR VAPOR RECIRCULATION, WHICH IS WELDED ON THE FUEL TANK, MAY COME OFF THE FUEL TANK BECAUSE INCORRECT MATERIAL WAS USED.

Consequence:
THIS COULD RESULT IN THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL COMING ON AND MAY RESULT IN SOME FUEL LEAKAGE. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL TANK WITH A NEW ONE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 20, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Which order would you have done it in, assuming you didn't have the tank in stock?
Seems to me they are doing the only thing they can do from a liability POV.

Homer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you're probably right, but even the service department couldn't explain why they put the shield on first, when they called to tell me the new tank was in. Then again, with my dealership, it doesn't surprise me! I just wonder if any other MO owners (Mo-bies? HAHA) got the notice for entire tank replacement. The dealer took my recall notice from me at the 1st appointment, so I don't have it anymore.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's a pretty small number of vehicles affected. Given that NISSAN probably outsources their tanks to someone, maybe there was a bad run of tanks in your year?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I received the recall notice for:

"1. Install protectors in front of the fuel tank.
2. Install protectors on the webbing of the rear seat belts."

There is no mention of a new fuel tank needed for my 2005 Mo. Were only a small amount of 2005 Mo's affected by the entire fuel tank replacement recall?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Fuel tank is part of the vapor hose recall

Jim C said:
More details posted originally here:

Two More Recalls Thread
Thanks, Jim! Although I took delivery of my Mo on 30 March 2005, it appears that it's "build date" must have missed the window for the full fuel tank recall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nissan replaced the tank on my 05 SE and they drained the fuel and replaced it in the new tank. Then they installed the garbage plastic shields but that's another story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts