Nissan Murano Forum banner

Which fuel tank shield do you prefer?

• A7285-CC25A (Conformal Aluminum)

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • A7285-CC27A (Vertical Plastic)

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • A7285-CC27B (Conformal Plastic)

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • None (I'll design my own or go without)

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
A7285-CC27B (Conformal Plastic).

It is the least obtrusive and I do not go off road. If I did I would go with MightyMo solution.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Enforcer-

Nice idea. Too bad the customer support personnel at Nissan NA aren't keeping tabs on the results.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Enforcer said:

Who says they don't?
I am actually giving them benefit of the doubt. Because if they are monitoring this site and still not doing anything obvious to change our perception of them being non-responsive to our concerns then they will not be getting any repeat business from me. It is obvious that others also feel the same.

-njjoe

·
5,268 Posts
I do. And if things do not change within a month or so they will definitely not get a repeted business from me...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee I've never heard that before. The longest thread I have ever seen with respect to that issue is this one. 3,694 replies and 155,523 views as I write this. And to this day, Nissan hasn't fixed the issue on the 03's-05's, jury is still out on the 06s. Maybe we need a new poll :D. But I just have to ask this question. Three people voted they prefer the vertical plastic shield so far, please post why?

·
5,268 Posts
Enforcer,

the link you posted confirms Nissan rashed products to the market and their support sucks. It is a very shortsighted policy. It is going to bite them back.

Right now I am planning to keep Murano for another two years. If Nissan does not change, it seems theay are not going to, I will definitely look somwhere else. Oh, and despite loving it, no more CVT!

PS. It is beyond me how somebody would like to keep the plastic, vertical shield! Unless this somebody works for Nissan consumer affairs..... :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have chased this recall for over two months. My recall was done on 31 March 2006. Since then, I have found out that Nissan has made 2 more changes in the recall shield. 1 metal, one plastic. I recently found a metal recall replacement for the ugly hang down shield for the original racall in March. With help, my Nissan dealer tracked down a metal replacement shield and it has been shipped for installation next week (Oct 9). I would prefer the plastic contured shield, but metal will beat the ugly hang down shield.

goodls

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Just found this thread. Wow that's crazy I never seen all 3 styles before. We always just install the ugly plastic ones. Mine have em too. I'm thinking of swapping to the aluminum or molded plastics, which would you recommend for me, lowered AWD, no offloading, all streets?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
T-

I bought the aluminum pieces and had the dealer install them. They are much less obvious than the black boxes.

From what I recall, there were one or two reports of FOD puncturing a tank, which caused Nissan to implement the program. There was never any mention in this forum of a ruptured tank.

In your experience have you ever seen an unprotected MO tank damaged by FOD?

Since your MO is closer to the ground than your average MO I would think it is also more susceptible to damage. In that case I would spend the $20 and go with the aluminum shields, that is if they are still available.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I bought some aluminum ones a year ago but the day it came in, we got a customer who had the typical flapping plastic vertical ones that were damage and loose so I talked her into the aluminum ones and all we had were mine in stock. Being that my murano was out of commission for a few months getting the body kit done, I let her have em. Now that in piecing everything back together I figure I'd order them again.

I have not seen any ruptured fuel tanks on Muranos. Only tank damage I've seen so far in 8 years has been a recent NV2500 that had damage from road debris and caused a fuel leak.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I bought some aluminum ones a year ago but the day it came in, we got a customer who had the typical flapping plastic vertical ones that were damage and loose so I talked her into the aluminum ones and all we had were mine in stock. ...I let her have em.
Now that is excellent customer service!! :4:

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Nice. That's awesome you helped her!

My MO went in for a recall of some kind and it came back with those damn plastic snow plow ones. I was pissed. Looked on this forum and found the aluminum ones. Much happier with them.

I went to my cousin's house and it has a bit of off roading to get there. Ran over a sizeable rock and put a good dent in the fuel tank shield. Will be taking it off soon to pound it back out. :p

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yeah the part numbers still work. I just checked at work and the parts guy was confused that i was asking the for aluminum kit because he said all they've ever sold were the vertical plastic ones. Said he didn't even know there were other ones available. But yeah the numbers still worked and as far as i know, they're still available.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts