Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The government has opened an investigation into whether the fuel tank in the Nissan Murano sport utility vehicle is susceptible to punctures from road debris during normal driving.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday that the inquiry involved about 124,000 Muranos from the 2004-2005 model years. About 140,000 of the sport utility vehicles from the 2003-05 model years were recalled in August because of concerns that a broken wire within the alternator could deplete power and lead to a crash.

NHTSA said it received four complaints of the fuel tanks being punctured during normal driving conditions, leading to fuel leakage and the need for a replacement tank. The agency will conduct a preliminary investigation to determine the extent of the problem.

Nissan spokeswoman Jeannine Ginivan said the automaker had not received a significant number of complaints but was working with NHTSA to investigate the issue. There have been no injuries or fatalities linked to the potential defect.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Wow I'm surprised! If anything they should investigate the leaky coolant smell that so many have reported. ;)

I hope that this is not an issue... saftey and sure doesn't look good for Nissan.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
zebelkhan said:
We had one member who had a leaky fuel tank. I don't recall his name though...
Oh! Might have been me, maybe that was when I had diarrhea. :2:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Maybe it isn't leaking - maybe they are getting really poor mileage.

I don't remember anyone reporting this - but I'm sure if it is the case it will be treated with a bit of urgency as gas is both flamable AND expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
GripperDon said:

Oh! Might have been me, maybe that was when I had diarrhea. :2:
So one could almost say you had a gassy incident. Har har har. Or should I say "ARRRRRR" - since today Sept 19 is "Talk like a pirate day." :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
A punctured tank has got to be the worst way to drive and run out of gas... Can we smell another recall coming? That could be a huge recall on every Murano made to date...:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
It's always amazing to me how easily and inexpensively it would have been to protect a plastic gas tank. An aluminum alloy shield would have been penneys for each Mo.
:rolleyes:

·
5,244 Posts
mgthe3

you are right. However remember bean counters run the company. And when you multiply pennies by the number of manufactured Muranos one can see real money. Problem is this is very shortsighted...

·
Registered
420 Posts
TC936 said:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday that the inquiry involved about 124,000 Muranos from the 2004-2005 model years.
Is this a typo? How come the 2003's aren't listed? Did they change the design after 2003?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
CopperKat said:

Is this a typo? How come the 2003's aren't listed? Did they change the design after 2003?
Maybe they used a metal shield on 2003 and left the 2004 and up with plastic, just like the front scoop.....:3:

Viewmont

Did you have your tank replaced? Sounds like Nissan might have to make it right for you. Also, did you send the gift you promised to Buster? :)

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Maybe they used a metal shield on 2003 and left the 2004 and up with plastic, just like the front scoop.....:3:
Another 'savings' made by Nissan during 'Goshn era' ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Viewmont

Did you have your tank replaced? Sounds like Nissan might have to make it right for you. Also, did you send the gift you promised to Buster? :)
I have been really busy with work and have not even sent the tow bill in to nissan for reimbursement. I have faith in the patch that Buster put on it so I'm a little slow to act. I also got hit in the windshied on the same trip but a different day. When I go to get my car inspected by my insurer, I will have to fork out $600 for deductibles and I don't want to do that. :eek:

I am holding off sending anything to south eastern texas as Katrina has messed things up a bit. Any ideas on what I could send when stuff settles around that area?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I wonder what makes the 2003 exempt from this investigation. In either case, it makes me feel better.

·
5,244 Posts
Eric L. said:
I wonder what makes the 2003 exempt from this investigation. In either case, it makes me feel better.

Me too!!!:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts