Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sent our 09 Murano to the mechanic today and he found the vapor canister is cracked which is why it's throwing a SES light. It's apparently a dealer only part and they want $675 for it.

Is this something that I can repair with epoxy and be fine at least for the next few months, or should I go to the yard and get one? Is this a cross-generation part, or generation specific? Are their some models that are cross-compatible?

·
Registered
565 Posts
So I sent our 09 Murano to the mechanic today and he found the vapor canister is cracked which is why it's throwing a SES light. It's apparently a dealer only part and they want $675 for it.

Is this something that I can repair with epoxy and be fine at least for the next few months, or should I go to the yard and get one? Is this a cross-generation part, or generation specific? Are their some models that are cross-compatible?
It's not a cheap part, but definitely not a dealer-only part. Rock Auto has some aftermarket options for near $200. It's located right behind the rear subframe so not a difficult job if you want to do it yourself. You could try epoxy--not really much to lose if it doesn't work, but I would suggest doing it with the canister off the car and letting it cure properly. If you do try this, let us know if it worked and post pics if possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got it home and was all set to epoxy it. The mechanic way understated the issue. It's not "cracked", it's got one end almost completely gone. I'm going to hit the wrecking yards this week and find a replacement. On the up side they did get the TPMS system sorted, changed the transmission fluid, and got it aligned, so I am still happy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well I got it home and was all set to epoxy it. The mechanic way understated the issue. It's not "cracked", it's got one end almost completely gone. I'm going to hit the wrecking yards this week and find a replacement. On the up side they did get the TPMS system sorted, changed the transmission fluid, and got it aligned, so I am still happy.
One way that canister can be damaged is when the rear-end is jacked up. There's a jack point there, and the manual warns to be careful to center the jack pad on the differential (AWD) or read cross member (FWD) to avoid damaging it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts