Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Dunlop SJ5 true winter tires installed on monday morning and we have had our first snow in Quebec city last night. Those in the snow belt know how slippery the first snow is, lots of car crash etc. I could not even move my C2500 Silverado as this 5500 lbs rock, equipped with new all season Michelins kept gettting stuck in 3 inches of snow. My son complained also on poor traction with his Mitsubishi Lancer with winter tires. Well I thought it was a good opportunity to test the Murano and the Dunlop tires ability under adverse traction conditions. What a joy! The Murano is amazing, it was so slippery it was possible to spin the 4 wheels yet directionnal stability and accelaration were impressive. I tested the time of reaction of the power transfer to the rear wheels and it is almost instantaneous although there is a slight advantage in using the AWD lock. I did not feel any perceptible change in the lock position when the system engaged or disengaged at 19 mph. I could perform some tests on the road (streets) as there was nobody out last night. The MO has the directionnal stability of FWD and the ease of control of a RWD when it starts to skid outward. I could engage the ABS system going fast and downhill hitting firmly on the brake, but the car stopped quickly without activating the ABS when braking to stop normally. This car is the most performing and stable vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. In this respect, I believe that the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 are very decent winter tires, in fact the best I ever had. I do not doubt that Nokians, Toyos or Blizzaks may be better, but the closest match to the Dunlop, when and if available were twice the price.The braking and cornering abilities under very slippery conditions where other vehicles experienced severe traction problems speaks for itself. The Dunlop SJ5s are DOT approved, rated Q and run fine on dry road at speeds up to 90 mph. For once, I feel the winter will be too short.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What size did you get them in?
Stock 235/65-18?

·
Registered
21 Posts
For what it's worth, I have been told that the SJ5 will not be available in the U.S. this winter.

Pirelli also has a winter tire in our size that, apparently, is not yet available in the U.S.

DavidG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Dunlop SJ5s are 235-65-18 104Q and may not be available in the US this winter. At least I can tell that the tires installed on my Murano do exist, perform very well and will allow those who can get them to fully benefit from the Murano's snow capabilities.

Sorry, I have to quit to drive my Murano down the Mont Ste-Anne ski slopes before the security guard gets in!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to hear that u are enjoying your SJ5's.Mine have been put aside for me and awaitng for install,We did'nt get the snow that u got the other day here in Montreal.We had alot of rain that froze on the ground and MO.Even though I'am not a fan of the stock Good Years they did a good job at handeling any slush build up that I was able to put Mo through.
I'am only hoping that the SJ5s will not be to squirmish at highway speeds as I like to go up too Ste. Agathe on weekends.For those of u not from the area thats 20 miles south of MT.Tremblant.ski resort and a great place to visit.
I did see the Nokians the other day but at $270.00 a piece it just makes no sense compared to the $135.00 pre season that I paid for the dunlops.
Anyways i wiil watch for any future posts as the snow gets closer & closer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts