Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this VERY INCORRECT article regarding choice of octane, fuel economy, and warming up the car. One of the major car mags did a test on octane choices a year or so ago and concluded that a car which was made to run regular receives absolutely no benefit by running super. Also most auto experts agree it is not necessary to warm up a modern car by letting it idle.

Of course, Nissan recommends 91 octane for the Murano, so I can see why people would run super. Having driven my Murano for ~19,000 miles on a variety of fuels, I have found no mileage difference between regular and super, but do notice the car feels noticeably more powerful off the line with super.

Read the article to find out what automotive knowledge was 20 years ago, and have a chuckle.

Fuel economy and octane.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Eric L. said:

Having driven my Murano for ~19,000 miles on a variety of fuels, I have found no mileage difference between regular and super, but do notice the car feels noticeably more powerful off the line with super.

I have to agree with this statement. Besides the MO, I have a '97, 4 cyl. Jeep Wrangler that I put super in from time to time. It doesn't get better mileage, but it does run noticebly better, and regular is the recommended fuel in it. Same for the MO.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
beemer-biker. I notice your signature says "Don't buy Nissan' Do you really feel that way?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Is it my system or i notice that ...

the link provided no longer work?

·
Registered
56 Posts
GripperDon said:
beemer-biker. I notice your signature says "Don't buy Nissan' Do you really feel that way?
Yep.
Although, I have to say, I like my MO, it is the company I am at odds with. I doubt very seriously, (I am softening up a bit, I used to say I definitely won't.), that I will buy another Nissan product, no matter how much I might like it.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Re: Is it my system or i notice that ...

SugarRushMurano said:
the link provided no longer work?
Working for me right now...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Beemer, want to share your experience w/the company? Curiousity.

Glad (overall) you like your MO. I think we all like our MOs.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
You know I had a G35, bought the day they came out, so it was a year one baby also, The experience was similar, some birthing / teething bugs. But the Infiniti Dealer was a jewel to work with. It left a totally different taste in your mouth. Years ago I had a Z sports car back in the mid 80's.. Don't know why but that was a good experience also. I agree Nissan should have taken care of the alt, seat looseness, etc. on there own Infiniti changes my brakes without a recall but with an advisory, changes my clock as you could not see the little hands at night, etc. It must be something I don't understand as they are not the same across the board.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There just seems to be a different culture at the Infiniti house. I think that's the difference. I personally haven't had any problems from my Nissan dealer, but I know I've ready a lot of people on here have, but I have to say, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Infiniti dealers and service. I know someone who bought one of the old Sentra-based G20's just to get access to the Infiniti service department so they wouldn't have to worry about buying a used car....

·
Where's my money?
23 Posts
Eric L. said:
Of course, Nissan recommends 91 octane for the Murano, so I can see why people would run super. Having driven my Murano for ~19,000 miles on a variety of fuels, I have found no mileage difference between regular and super, but do notice the car feels noticeably more powerful off the line with super.[/URL]
I don't know what the 03/04 MO owner's manual says, but the 05 says:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION:
Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock
Index) number (Research octane number
91).
For improved vehicle performance,
NISSAN recommends the use of unleaded
premium gasoline with an octane rating of
at least 91 AKI number (Research octane
number 96).
Which is the opposite from what my 03 Z owner's manual says:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION:
Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index)
number (Research octane number 96).
If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded
regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI
number (Research octane number 91) may be
temporarily used, but only under the following
precautions:
I Have the fuel tank filled only partially with
unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with
unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.
I Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.
However, for maximum vehicle performance,
the use of unleaded premium gasoline
is recommended.
My guess is that the Z ECM has aggressive ignition timing that will retard timing when knock is detected while the MO ECM has mild ignition timing that will advance timing until knock is detected and save that trim value. *shrug*

Michael.

·
Where's my money?
23 Posts
beemer-biker said:
Yep.
Although, I have to say, I like my MO, it is the company I am at odds with. I doubt very seriously, (I am softening up a bit, I used to say I definitely won't.), that I will buy another Nissan product, no matter how much I might like it.
Nissan may not be the best auto manufacturer, but it could be worse. FAR worse. My g/f's 2000 Merc Cougar was breaking down left and right... AND IT ONLY HAD 45K MILES! I know it's not her particular car as the problems were common for many other Cougar owners on the Cougar board.

Imagine a sunroof that had really cheap plastic rails that were prone to breaking often and costing $1300 to replace every time. Or brake rotors that were so soft that they wore 2x faster than the factory pads. If my g/f didn't buy a 5yr/60k extended warranty, then she would have been up the creek w/o a paddle for $6k in repair costs this year. THE CAR'S ONLY WORTH $7500!!!

The most memorable moment at the Merc dealer was at the cashier's office. There was long line of old ladies willing to fork over the green for repairs on a 3YO car. One lady willingly wrote a check for $3k in repair costs!

Michael.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts