Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a funny smell coming from the car after you accellerate rather hard? I have 600 miles on my SE AWD, and last night had to "gun it" pulling out into traffic, and a slight burning smell came into the cabin. I'm hoping it is just because I haven't broken the car in enough yet, but the tach didn't go over 5K (I know it is not supposed to go over 4K until broken in, but hey, gotta keep my eyes on the road).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I smell something too, like oil burning off of the engine. It usually smells when stopped after 10 minutes of driving (when the engine has heated up on the first drive of the day). The smell is still there after 1000 miles, but improving.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
82 Posts
anonms8, muran03: from what i experience when testing new cars (and i do mean "testing" them) it will have a wierd smell. just like when you get into a brand new car, it has that brand new car smell. same scenario with the engine.

now, if you can distinguish that smell to oil, and you smell oil??? 2 things. either they spilled oil on the engine before you purchased it or there is a leak somewhere. check that out! look for oil around the engine cap (where you put oil in) to see if it is clean or not. if it's clean and you still smell oil, take it back to the dealer ship!!!! honestly, if the smell is still there after a 1k miles, there is a problem. engines get VERY hot and will burn up any oil left on it very quickly. smell should disappear w/in a few days or a couple hundred miles. (i'm not a mechanic-based on experience)

·
4,664 Posts
In the winter, if someone was sloppy with the undercoating, it might take a while to burn it all off the engine/exhaust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks dubfly, jaak... the car was rust proofed before I picked it up. That must be the problem. But I will check around the engine for leaks.

·
4,664 Posts
You're welcome. I remember having that on a couple of cars that had been rustproofed. The stink went away, after it finally cooked off. Doesn't hurt to check though, just for peace of mind!

·
Registered
82 Posts
no problem muran03. also, when you leave for work and your murano has a chance to sit over night, check for drops on the ground after you pull out. leaks can come from the top or the bottom of the engine. from the top, that's bad. that means it is traveling from the top to the ground. from the bottom, not as bad (depending if it's a drop or a puddle). at any rate, engines shouldn't leak anything anyways!

good luck!

·
4,664 Posts
One other thought did come to mind, if you are detecting a funny smell from the vehicle.

Maybe you ran over a clown?

Sorry, couldn't resist.... :roll:

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
anonms8 said:
Anybody have a funny smell coming from the car after you accellerate rather hard? I have 600 miles on my SE AWD, and last night had to "gun it" pulling out into traffic, and a slight burning smell came into the cabin. I'm hoping it is just because I haven't broken the car in enough yet, but the tach didn't go over 5K (I know it is not supposed to go over 4K until broken in, but hey, gotta keep my eyes on the road).

Just my two cents worth..

"According to a recent study conducted by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Australia's leading government research group, "new car smell," so cherished by car owners around the world, may in fact be deadly. According to the study, vinyl and plastic materials in new cars may emit toxic gases.
The study's authors report that long-term exposure to such "new car gases" may cause cancer and birth defects. In the short-term, the toxic chemicals can cause headaches, nausea, and drowsiness, potentially contributing to accidents. In addition, Benzene, a known carcinogen, was detected in several cars analyzed."

and "The 10 Most Dangerous Toxins in Your Household"
"Vinyl chloride is the source of "new car smell": The plastic interior of a new car offgasses this known carcinogen. Water sitting in PVC pipes overnight may be steeping into a toxic tea. Very large exposures can lead to "vinyl chloride disease," which causes severe liver damage and ballooning of the fingertips;
"

Ouch..

·
4,664 Posts
I've heard that that "New Car Smell" is actually nothing to do with the vehicle itself, but is actually the smell of a New Car Salesman. Once you've had the vehicle away from the dealer for a while, it starts to fade.

Apparantly Used Car Salesmen have a different smell, that tends to emanate from Plaid Jackets as well.

:?

·
Registered
82 Posts
good one jaak ha ha hahaaha.

you know, just more toxants i need to worry about in my everyday life...second hand smoke, lead in water and paint, non-organic food and sitting at my desk for 8 hours!

i hate those reports. they always say they may do this, they may do that, blah blah blah. good to know, but i what i wanna know is answers, not speculations. guess i will just drive with my windows down and wear north pole clothes. next thing you know, car trees will stunt your sex drive! :lol:

oh well. 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about this smell?

In the three I sat in on the lot and in the one I bought, when you lift up the insert in the large cubby between the front seats it stinks like mothballs. (the big area where you can fit a laptop)

One of these days I'll air it out, but whats up with that!

Bye the way... That burning engine parts smell is worth every penny. You can only go round once in life (or with a new car).

·
4,664 Posts
Many materials emit gas when they are new, as a result of the manufacturing process or their content. You could try leaving it open, or stick a peice of charcoal or a box of baking soda inside to absorb the emitted gases. That would reduce the smell. After a while, it would probably be fine.

It's also an issue with some of the very air tight new houses. If the ventilation's not good, you get that same effect from many materials such as carpets, etc.

As pointed out above, it has been suggested that some of this, may not be good for you, just like second hand smoke, and sticking a radio transmitter next to your head (cellphone), staying out in the sun too long.. etc.

:shock:

It's dangerous to live. It's about risk management. If it's easy to fix something, then do it.

I'm amazed at the number of people that drive vehicles that are not at an entry level, and yet are too cheap to put in a handsfree kit for their cellphone. But that's another rant... :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
to add to your rant (jaak), then the non-multitasking morons slow up traffic and have the nerve to be in the fast lane! :x

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can't agree with you on that one jaak. I don't think people are too "cheap" to buy a handsfree kits. It's the fact that cheap handsfree kits are cheaply made and sound like crap. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't cheap in quality and poorly designed. Usually the OEM handsfree systems through the radio are the nicest but I'm not going to spend >$1200 for that option. I have tried several aftermarket options and haven't found one yet that was worth anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't see this mentioned, but I"ll mention it. For cars being imported via ship (I dont know, was the murano built in japan?), that burning smell could just be a treatment they put on the car for transport.

·
4,664 Posts
Hi Taylormade.... Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences.

Any in car kit (and I'm talking a real one, not a headset) from the Phone manufacturer, can work well IF and only IF installed correctly.

I've had both Nokia and Motorola kits and they both sound fine, IF the speaker and mike placement is correct.

So IF installed by someone who only claims they know what they're doing, but doesn't know, it will sound like crap. And there's lot's out there.

So keep an eye out for a good installation and ask who did it.

The OEM ones work, because they figured it out and did it right (usually) in the factory.

I'm looking at putting a Bluetooth one in next, so I don't have to pull my phone out of the briefcase. Now that'll be cool... :lol:

Dubfly, Don't get me started on that one.... Heh heh... Although the best I saw was a woman using a curling iron and brush on her hair while looking in the rear view mirror. Yep, driving with her knees on the highway! I really hope she didn't breed.
:shock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts