Nissan Murano Forum banner

FX Rearview Camera in MO

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  kita32 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if you can install the FX's rearview camera system on a MO with nav?

#3 ·
That would be the expensive way to do it. If you have Nav, you have a video capable display that will accept RGB input. All you need is a camera that either provides that, or can be converted to that and to tap into reverse indication circuitry and you're in business.

It would be nice if the FX parts plugged in, however the transmission is different, so this may not work. If I get a chance, I'll look in the service manuals, but most likely someone else will take this hint to do it instead... (I'm on lunch break and don't have the time right now!):D

#5 ·
I'm curious to know where the FX camera is... it's definitely nicely integrated.

I'd like to find a good aftermarket setup... something that doesn't jut out from my tailgate like a sore thumb.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm sure you've heard of AVElectronics and their Nav/TV tuner. If possible, I'd prefer not to mess with my nav (which I love) and potentially void my warranty. I would be willing to pay a little extra premium to make sure that everything works as it should.

#9 ·
Check out these threads:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthr...&Board=FX45&Number=67513719&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthr...7537671&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Here is the link to their website: http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm

I actually contacted Sam over at AVElectronic, who told me that some people have installed it in their Murano. No pics or testimonies. Heavily considering it, but like I said, I'd prefer not to void my warranty. Don't care much about watching TV up front - I really just want the rearview camera.

#10 ·
Hey Shindig,
I just finished installing the NAV/Tuner from AVElectronics this week and it works great. I have 3 A/V inputs available now plus the TV tuner. I am looking for the right camera for the job now.
I see that you are in Chicago... let me know if you need any help.

--Mojo

#11 ·
Mojomn7g said:
Hey Shindig,
I just finished installing the NAV/Tuner from AVElectronics this week and it works great. I have 3 A/V inputs available now plus the TV tuner. I am looking for the right camera for the job now.
I see that you are in Chicago... let me know if you need any help.

--Mojo
Just the person I was looking for! Where did you get the work done? Pics and info. would be great, especially regarding install prices. You can PM me or email me at shindig@lycos.com.

As for the camera, check out hitchcam.com. They have a new "framecam," which is a rearview camera integrated into the license plate frame. Pretty smooth, IMHO.

#12 ·
Doombringer said:
I'm curious to know where the FX camera is... it's definitely nicely integrated.

I'd like to find a good aftermarket setup... something that doesn't jut out from my tailgate like a sore thumb.

the cmera eye is between the license plate lights (have to look 'up' to see it)

very stealthy, indeed....... (wish it could zoom and pan though...lol)]

#13 ·
I'll have to see if my local pro audio/detail shop has anything in the way of rear cameras. I'd love to do a real stealthy installation, similar to the FX in whatever way possible, just so there isn't a nasty camera hanging out somewhere.

I guess Nissan didn't want to add a backup camera because they needed to save something for the FX. This and the intelligent cruise control COULD have been in the MO (same with rear air/heat controls, probably) but it would make the FX less desireable.

Then again, back up SENSORS would have been nice. The MO rear window is so high, you can't see anything down low.

#14 ·
Hey Shindig,
I did the entire install myself. Not really that bad if you know how to use a soldering iron. The hardest part is making sure you match the RGB and Sync wires correctly behind the NAV screen. It took me a good 2 hours to complete the install and run all my cables.
I wish I had my digital camera this last week as I have installed my EcoStar Reverse Sensors, NAV/Tuner, and side moldings from Dawn. But I lent it too my parents for their vacation. They will be back this weekend, and I will be sure to post the pics.

--Mojo

#15 ·
Mojo -

I don't trust myself to do work like that on my baby. Do you know anyone/any place that will do the install?

Let me know how the tuner works out.

Also, how do like the reverse sensors? I was thinking of those as an alternative to the rearview camera. How much were they?

#16 ·
I live in the Western suburbs and would love to get a back-up camera installed ala FX. Abt has the Audiovox unit but it's white and not stealthy at all. Tweeter says they can do it but I'm a little hesitant to be a test install

What I like about the FX back-up camera are the guide lines they have superimposed. They go from green to yellow to red to help you gauge your distance when parking. I would think that the FX unit would be compatible with Murano's with Navi, since they seem to be the same unit that's in the FX.

If you find a place that will install a nice stealthy unit please post, I would probably go with them too.

#17 ·
FX backup camera

My local Infiniti dealer told me that the FX backup camera wouldn't work with the Murano ....something about the connections.

#19 ·
Actually

Actually, the Infiniti dealers are the ones who ARE installing satellite radio for Murano owners....in fact, it was while I was getting my sat. radio installed there when I asked the question about the back up camera.

#20 ·
dklanecky1 said:
Yea, but those are the same guys who said the Infiniti SAT radio wouldn't work in the Murano either.

I find it almost impossible to believe the back side of the FX radio head unit is any different than the Murano's.

:2:
I would tend to beleive that the rear view camera used in the FX would be compatible with the Murano w/ Navi. Does anyone know who manufactures the rear view camera unit for the FX? The thing I like about the FX unit over aftermarket camera's is the distance lines for gauging your proximity. They go from green to yellow to red.

#21 ·
dklanecky1 said:
Yea, but those are the same guys who said the Infiniti SAT radio wouldn't work in the Murano either.

I find it almost impossible to believe the back side of the FX radio head unit is any different than the Murano's.

:2:
Actually, if you go back to the beginning of the SAT issue with the Murano, you'll find lots of posts and people who were told by their local Infiniti dealer that it wouldn't work.

Mine was one of them back in July. Even after I had bought the parts, and installed them, they still refuse to believe it worked just the same as in the G35 Sedan/Coupe.

You may now be able to reap the benefits of all the hard work done by Jaak, etc, but Infiniti was way late to come to the party with admitting that the Infiniti SAT units would work in the Murano.

To my knowledge, Nissan still refuse to admit that the 2003's can be retro fitted for SAT using stock off the shelf Nissan/Infiniti parts.

#22 ·
OK...

I stand corrected on Infiniti, my local Infiniti dealer was all too happy to help me, they didn't even question it...they just said "sure, bring it in!"

Also, I learned just yesterday from my Nissan dealer that they now have a kit that they can order from NNA,....they've already retrofitted one Murano.

#23 ·
dalascby, that is BIG news. If you have a Nissan dealership who is getting a SAT radio kit from NNA to retrofit a 2003 Murano... that's amazing. Where is this dealership?

I'm curious if my dealership will do the same, and if not, if the Infiniti dealership across the street would. "Sure, bring it in!" would be a response I'd love to hear from them.

#24 ·
Nissan...

Victory Nissan in Richmond, VA. One in Richmond, one in Mechanicsville-(a surrounding suburb of Richmond) . My local V. Nissan is the Mechanicsville dealership.

(Interesting, the news came about 2 weeks after I turned in my initial survey, in which I wrote a scathing note to NNA about the satellite issue and the customer service problem that they are causing for their Nissan dealerships.)

#25 ·
Of course no problem, but is a very simple matter.
This rear view camera allows you to monitor areas where it is difficult to set up a standard camera. It allows you to get a good sized image even several feet from the camera. A great tool for reversing into parking spaces while assuring there is nothing behind you. This 1/3 inch CMOS reversing camera allows to you to reverse into any parking space with the benefit of 120 degrees of angular vision. A great item for both beginning drivers as well as seasoned city dwellers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.