Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I test drove an Infinity FX35, and then within 1 hour I drove to a Nissan dealer and test drove the Murano again (third time).

Interior: The FX35 seems much better built than the Murano. The doors seemed more solid and the cockpit was far nicer than the Murano. I really liked the memory power adjustable steering wheel. Also the gauges looked far nicer than the three pod cluster of gauges on the Murano. Both had the same digital display in the middle. The seats were a close tie for comfort, though the FX35 had more power adjustments available. The back seat in the FX35 seemed much tighter in leg room than the Murano, and also it was much harder to get into the back seat of the FX35 then it was the Murano (I had to maneuver my feet to get into the FX35 like I would a Jetta).
The hatch back area of the FX35 is not as tall a birth as the Murano for taller cargo, but looked about the same whith and depth (with the seats reclined) as the Murano. Overall I though the FX35 had a better interior if backseat riders are not a daily necessity.

Exterior: The FX35 and Murano both have standard 18" alloy wheels, so I don't have a huge preference on that. Both the Murano and FX35 look great on the road. The FX35 has a sleeker longer "pumped-up" stationwageon on steroids look to it, where the Murano has a taller stealthier SUV meets futuristic minivan on big wheels look. Both are great in a different way. I did prefer the FX35's paint choices over the Murano (much better metallic paints).
Also, I like the fact that the FX35 has HID lights standard on its base model. Both have aggressive duel exhaust ports.

Ride and power: The FX35 had a nice robust V6 with 280 HP. It was fun using the optional tiptronic shifting on city streets for those of you who like a little more action with your drive. The Murano is smooth as silk, and in "S" mode takes off very quickly and somewhat faster than the higher HP FX35.
The ride on both is nice. The Murano's so far that I have test driver have all been SL's, and the FX was just a standard base model with 18" wheels. Overall both SUV's where fun to drive, comfortable and powerful. I really noticed that the Murano had better visibility for sightseeing than the FX, but the FX was fun to rip around city streets using the tiptronic system.

So far I am stuck on both SUV's. The Murano that I want will run me close to $36k MSRP with Nav, and the FX35 will run me $37k without the Nav, but with all the same options as the Murano plus superior warrantee service over Nissan (Infinity even lets you use a free G35 for as long as your FX is in the shop!).
So both have advantages and the price is really close.

·
Registered
76 Posts
seems like you're leaning towards the FX35.. i don't blame ya! In canada a lot of the packages are different so price is a lot different as well. SE Murano here comes standard with everything except for NAV, i paid $44,550 Canadian. We also test drove the FX35 and the price of that was, if i could remember, a few thousands more than original standard price of MO.
by the way, i thought the FX35 came with 20" wheels.. or is that only for the FX45?
anyways both are fabulous cars! have fun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
oh and one more thing. i bought my car from a Nissan/Infiniti joint dealership and their service was great. i bought extended warantee that entitles you to free oil changes for as long as you own the murano plus a few extra goodies. i had to bring my murano in for help with the power seats, and they let me take home a G35 for the day! now i want the g35... as an addition to the murano of course!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i<3mymurano said:
oh and one more thing. i bought my car from a Nissan/Infiniti joint dealership and their service was great. i bought extended warantee that entitles you to free oil changes for as long as you own the murano plus a few extra goodies. i had to bring my murano in for help with the power seats, and they let me take home a G35 for the day! now i want the g35... as an addition to the murano of course!
That would make me move towards a Murano, but all Nissan dealers where I live are separate from the Infinity dealers, and have very difference service. Though there are more Nissan dealers within just a couple miles of me than I can shake a stick at, none really want to go above and beyond the call of duty to solve problems and offer free rentals (word to Nissan if you are reading this). Most of the time when I mention a problem with my 350Z, they seem to act like I am crazy... "What window grease problem?", "Paint chips?, we use the best paint on the market." yada yada yada...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tikiman,

There is a raging debate (well maybe not) going on over at freshalloy.com about this same choice/dilemna both in the murano and fx35/45 forum.

That individual looks like they finally picked the FX 35. It really comes down to what you are going to use it for, how it makes you feel to drive it, and probably $$$ for many of us.

If considering the latter, there is a pretty big difference in the base price between the two, once you start adding options then it is not so great (on the 35)...but you probably know all that.

I would not mind getting an FX45 just for me ;) the 35 made no sense for my family however.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here is one MO owners opinion,

both cars are great, i chose the MO cause it was cheaper,
when i do trade in my MO, i will be upgrading to the FX,
or the equivilent bionic cheeta at the time.

-Nerf

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's still a tough decision for me.

I really love the extra room in the Murano, and I like the fact that it is just as easy to get in the back seats as it is the front seats (but then again I don’t ever drive anyone else around other than one occasional passenger and my Beagle).

I also like the fact that the Murano gets better gas mileage, but it is really close.

Also (though I have never used one before) the Navigation system on the FX35 is a $9600.00 option because you can only get it with the remote start, and some other bells and whistles that really don't apply to my needs (I have no reason to start my car from my remote, I live in California). Where on the Murano it is just a $1999.00 option for just the Nav system.

Otherwise I am still at odds on both vehicles. I guess I need to decide if a Navigation system is something that I will really use????

·
Registered
65 Posts
another thing...

I did not see this mentioned in the other threads, but for snow and bad weather driving, the front wheel drive may be a plus on the Murano. Depending on where you are in Ca. this may or may not be an issue.

If it is just you and your beagle, then have you driven both yet? I found the CVT to be a blast. I enjoyed it more than the FX 35, but you may like the 35 transmission feel and interior better?

If it were just me and a beagle and a busting bank account, then I might go with the FX 45, but not the 35. I like the looks of the Murano equally to the FX but the Murano driving over the 35 and the Murano interior layout had more pluses than either FX for me. Maybe you have a preference either way on the styling, but definitely go take a test drive if you have not already.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: another thing...

copperstreak said:
I did not see this mentioned in the other threads, but for snow and bad weather driving, the front wheel drive may be a plus on the Murano. Depending on where you are in Ca. this may or may not be an issue.

If it is just you and your beagle, then have you driven both yet? I found the CVT to be a blast. I enjoyed it more than the FX 35, but you may like the 35 transmission feel and interior better?

If it were just me and a beagle and a busting bank account, then I might go with the FX 45, but not the 35. I like the looks of the Murano equally to the FX but the Murano driving over the 35 and the Murano interior layout had more pluses than either FX for me. Maybe you have a preference either way on the styling, but definitely go take a test drive if you have not already.
I drove both within just a couple hours of each other. Yes, price is a major factor in my decision, but also is practicality and common-sense. So with that, the Murano somewhat tops the list, but I really like the Infinity service over Nissan's, and I am a little leery about how well the Murano will hold up over time verses the FX, and I really don't want to have to sit for hours in a service center or with no car for days.

L

·
0 Posts
I also looked at both and for the money and room I just could not pass on the Murano. I did think that the FX was much nicer but the added cost justified it. Plus, there is only one Infinity dealer that is 40 miles from home. So price and dealer location played a big part in buying my Nissan.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Comparison of the two from AutoSpies...

Someone did the comparison already... so enjoy!

Link to Auto Spes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts