Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question::

will the offset on the FX45's 20" rims fit okay on the MO??? and can you turn the wheel (steering) from lock - to- lock without binding/issue??

more importantly, im in negotiation with getting the same rims a s a member here has (axis alegis in sliver 20" with 275-45-20" goodyear wraps........)

how can i determine how 'off' my speedometer will be a s aresult of this increased circumference??? and more importantly, how can i compensate for it (recalibration of the speed sensor on most new bikes fixes this within 3%)

please advise

thanks

scott

ps- the members screename is "N2MURANOS"....i hope your nt too upset with the copycat idea.....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The offset will NOT be OK.
The FX45 is RWD. the Murano is FWD/AWD.

And who knows about bolt pattern and hub size.

Easy to spot - FWD have spokes and center hub on outside edge, RWD has spokes and center hub in a "deep Dish".

Homer

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hmmm. Well, tirerack has a single model of 20"s available for the Murano
http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?changeColor=Choose+Color&filterSize=20&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=Pricing&autoMake=Nissan&autoModel=Murano+FWD&autoYear=2003

They are spec'ing with 265x50x20 which is a +2 ap and should have the same outside diameter (within 5% so they say). I can't find it right now, but I swear tirerack had a web based calculator where you entered the variables (width, aspect ratio, wheel size, overall diameter) and it would spit out whichever variable you left blank. Can't find it now.

My S2000 is rwd and has a 35mm offsett, similar to my prior FWD VW. Some RWD cars nowadays aren't 'dished' in as much as before.

Well, that probably didn't help much but I gotta admit the 20s have the *ahem* bling factor :4:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Halo you are probably thiking of the old Tire Comparison page from Miatanet.
I know that you referenced it before and I use to use it in the days when I owned my 99 Miata.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It indicates that the difference between the stock 235/65-18 and the proposed 275/45-20 is LESS THAN 1% and would be acceptable from that single POV.

Is it too wide to turn the wheel? What would the unsprung weight of the tire and wheel do to the handling?

Who knows?

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
Nice looking wheels. What is the size of tires?

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kris said:
Nice looking wheels. What is the size of tires?

thas my next dilema (found a dealer for the axis line; i'l get a good price)...

tirewise, i want the similar looking proportion (dont want ultra-small low profiles!!)

choices???

255-50-20's or 275-45-20's(pictured are the 255's on m2muranos)

i also wanna keep the clearances free.........

·
5,268 Posts
255-50-20's would be a better choice. But it is only my opinion....

·
5,268 Posts
stock tires - 235 and pretty much the outside tire walls are lined up with the car body. I do not like tires stick out of the body. Now 255 is only 20 mm wider. I could probably live with it. 275 is 40 mm wider. I am worry that the extra with will protrude outside of the car body. And i do not like that kind of look. Also we need to remember the wheelwell with!
Again, it is only my opinion ............

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kris said:
stock tires - 235 and pretty much the outside tire walls are lined up with the car body. I do not like tires stick out of the body. Now 255 is only 20 mm wider. I could probably live with it. 275 is 40 mm wider. I am worry that the extra with will protrude outside of the car body. And i do not like that kind of look. Also we need to remember the wheelwell with!
Again, it is only my opinion ............
K-- this is the info i have been needing!!

also, i need to know which profile best 'fits' on the wheel......

i DONT want jeep tires (sorry jeep owners) that stick out...(looks ill-fitting), AND i wanna be able to turn lock-to-lock without clearance issues.....

so the 255's are the MAX width.......

now, sidewall size............... Decreased to offset the bigger dia. wheel??? i do want to get it close to oem (for odometer/speedometer reasons!!) but i dont wanna have the look of low-profilers either....

i wish the n2murano member would post up here (tried pm's with no luck)

-S

·
Registered
275 Posts
TIRE SIZES

Was just reading about the tires. Here is some information I got from Tire Rack on specific tires.

235/65R18=30.0" Tall
275/45R20=29.8" Tall
295/45R20=30.5" Tall (What I have on mine) No rubbing issues, lock to lock.

They don't really "stick out" of the fender wells. I would be happy to post pictures of them if you are interested.

Matthew

(2003 Murano SE Polished Pewter):D

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: TIRE SIZES

mattsmurano said:
Was just reading about the tires. Here is some information I got from Tire Rack on specific tires.

235/65R18=30.0" Tall
275/45R20=29.8" Tall
295/45R20=30.5" Tall (What I have on mine) No rubbing issues, lock to lock.

They don't really "stick out" of the fender wells. I would be happy to post pictures of them if you are interested.

Matthew

(2003 Murano SE Polished Pewter):D

please do!!!

i just bought (ordered) 20's with 255-50-20's on it.... i saw it done already, and liked the 'oem' sense it still gave off...

so, im adding about 1" in total height by my change?? (1" diameter...½ rad......)??

i hope im close

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay.... i did it for myself....

it seems i am VERY close!!

235-65-18 = oem.... 255-50-20 = new....

672 rev.s per mile (oem) 671 (new)
sidewall = 6" (oem) 5" (new)
total radius = 15" (oem) 15" (new)
circumf. = 94.3 (oem) 94.4 (new)

"speedo reading with non-stock tire is 0.0% slow... when your speedo reads 60.0, yeou are acutally traveling 60.0 "

looks like i will have the same inacurate speedo readings as oem!!(lol)

pix when they arrive.........

1 - 20 of 40 Posts