Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned my silver 03' MO today after a while, like a month and half. Pollen getting on it, and bugs like crazy. Bugs must love MO's with a passion, cause its allllllll over my front bumper, and side window "thingys"........

I washed my car today with this one brand, it worked good...
Cept, I couldnt get some bug stains off the front, it pissed me off. There was this tiny paint scratch too, I got madddddddd :1:

How can I get those stupid bug guts of my MO!!!

Thanks, I love you guys.. :D

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Would these be love bugs (those things that fly around in pairs, connected backside to backside)? It's getting to be that season here in Louisiana.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You think it's bad now?? Just waiti until the 17 year cicadas emerge this year in the east. I remember the last swarm. My car had them all over the front. They are quite a mess to clean up. :mblah:
Here's an article:

Brood X cicadas to swarm region

By Candace Smith
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Unwelcome red-eyed, winged visitors are expected to drop in on the Washington area this spring by the millions.
Periodical cicadas, underground for 17 years, will tunnel out of the dirt, fling their winged bodies through the air and sound off day and night. Bug experts say the brood due this spring is the largest.
"It's quite a sight," said Gary Hevel, a Smithsonian entomologist. "Settlers interpreted them as being the Old World locust."
Some cicadas emerge annually in the eastern United States. Others come out every two, four or 13 years. But this variety, known as Brood X, invades every 17 years.
The last time they covered the Washington area was in 1987. Remnants of cicadas covered roadways and sidewalks. Residents pulled them out of their hair. And the bugs drove some outdoor events, like weddings and graduations, inside.
When exactly they emerge this year will depend on the weather.
"Mainly, they're waiting for a little moisture in mid-May to really cause them to start coming out," Mr. Hevel said.
Wingless nymphs will dig out of the soil, crawl onto a tree and break out of their hard shells, after which their wings quickly dry and their bodies darken.
"They're a really attractive insect, as insects go," Mr. Hevel said. "These are characteristically black, basic color with reddish tinges. The eyes are red, in fact."
They fly off looking for a mate. The males vibrate their tymbals to attract females.
"So they'll congregate in a tree and all chorus together," Mr. Hevel said. He described the sound: " 'Thehr-oooh-ah' ... The other ones will do a 'chick, chick, chick.' "
Once they mate, the males die and the females lay their eggs in tree branches before perishing. The nymphs hatch, drop to the soil and burrow several inches underground.
The aboveground cycle lasts less than four weeks.
"This May, 17 years. Oh, that's disgusting," said Rob Garretson, of Ellicott City, Md., who lived in Arlington in 1987.
"I just remember being in my back yard with a tennis racket swatting them, and you come back with four or five in your tennis racket after each swing," he said. "That's how bad it was."
Not everyone sees them as a disgusting pest.
"They're eaten and chased by cats and dogs and birds, and even I've see copperhead snakes gorge on them, and of course, people do use them in recipes also," Mr. Hevel said.
Mr. Hevel said the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History is planning a cicada exhibit in May, complete with sounds and live specimens.
Mr. Garretson said he has a plan of his own for the cicadas:
"I'll get my tennis racket out, I guess."
For a map of the areas that will be effected, see: Cicada Watch 2004 :mblah:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Dij

It probably is the love bugs. It is getting to be that time of year here in Florida. They are really bad here as well. Between the pollen and the bugs, spring is really rough here. Then we graduate to the 100 degrees with 99% humidity in the summer where you run from the house AC to the Car AC to the work AC. Fall/Winter is the best time of year to live in this climate.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Sean,

Sounds like our weather is like yours. It's getting to be love bug season here, and the pollen is the pits.

The temperature is perfect right now but it won't be long until it's hot and humid. You are so right about running from AC to AC.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hp Xtreme said:

How can I get those stupid bug guts of my MO!!!

Thanks, I love you guys.. :D
Hp

I'm not a pro detailer by any stretch but the best I've found for the crusted on remains and stains is Goo Gone. I've tried a bunch of 'em and it seems to work the best. Still needs some elbow grease but at least it works.

·
5,268 Posts
hi guys,

you are complaining about bugs - try cane toads or migrating crabs!

:D

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Kris,

On second thought, those love bugs sound just dandy when compared to toad or crab parts on your Mo! Blech.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Dij

I'll second that!

·
4,664 Posts
Reminds me of a 2 day drive I took through the Rocky Mountains in BC with a white rental car. At the end of it, it looked like someone got a bunch of relish, mustard and ketchup packets and squished them all over the bumper.

Something I've noticed about the Murano. While the styling minimises it, the front end is pretty big. So I'm not surprised to see so much. And stone chips? Big target, so it's going to get quite a few, depending on where you drive. Unfortunately, the Nissan paint seems to be pretty chip prone. Saw that on my Maxima too, but then there were lot's of gravel trucks around my old neighbourhood!

Time for the clear bra!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
if you want a quick and very good bug and bird dropping remover, i found that the dryer fabric softner cloths work EXtremely well. all you do is wet them with water and get the soap to start foaming fromt hem, then you just rub the affected areas with them and bam, no more bug guts and bird crap. the you just wipe the area dry and it's all good in the hood. try it

·
Registered
545 Posts
I guess I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to keeping the MO clean. Every time I drive it after it has been raining or gets a bit dirty or dusty, I get out my pail of cool water with a clean rag and rinse off the dirt.

I used Classe All in One for the MO's 1st waxing and since that first application, I've never had to use more than just water to do a cleanup and get MO looking great again. The trick is to do this on a regular basis, providing you have time, and don't let too much dirt accumulate.

After the last "rinse" I reapplied the All in One and the car looks brand new again.

Not looking forward to sloppy winters since this method of cleaning will not be practical.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Reading through the posts, and it seems like Clear Bra is the way to go for me. Has anyone in the Toronto/GTA area gotten the Clear Bra installed, and if so where did you get it done. Looking through Google, and can't find where to get it....other then through dealer.

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts