Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2020 Murano Platinum. It has as all Murano's have a 19-gallon tank. So I estimated that every quarter of a tank marking on the gas gauge should be around 5 gallons. I have only had two gas tank fillups. The first it was 3/4 empty and only took 11 gallons (I would have thought around 14.5 at least). Today I filled up at 1/2 tank and it took just a little over 8.2 gallons. What gives?

My trip computer for the fillup today estimated I was getting 21.1 MPG (we were on a road trip and the gusty winds were blowing directly against us). So today it had 150.9 miles on it, the tank was at 1/2 full and when I filled up it only took 8.2 gallons which means I was only getting 18.4 mpg? Plus it was exactly at 1/2 full and only took 8.2 gallons (I would have thought it would have taken 9.5 gallons at least). I don't get it?

Tony

·
Registered
857 Posts
From my experience both gauges on multi vehicles I have owned have had some degree of error...

On my '19 the trip computer is also as optimistic as yours, about +10-15%... My '03 trip computer was around +5-10% higher than when I calculated it manually...

I wouldn't worry about it, there's not anything that can be done about it that I know of...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Every car I have ever owned does not give an equal quantity per quarter tank reading. Not just Nissans. The gauge can fluctuate while you’re driving so it’s definitely difficult to rely on the quarter marks as definitive gallons remaining or used.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As the others said, the gauges do fluctuate and unless you reset the trip computer each time it’s going to keep a running average. I’ve not found mine overly optimistic, usually very close to manual reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do reset the trip computer at every fillup. Perhaps I will give it a while just seemed strange. Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
Gas gauges and tank sizes are approximate. Manufacturing variations change tank size slightly from car to car. Gauges often read differently in some parts of the fill than they do in others. Once you've used it for a while, none of this matters because you know the vehicle.

If you want to know your real mileage: at each fill-up, note the miles traveled since your last fill-up (I use my trip odometer for this.) Note the amount of gas added; divide number of miles traveled by amount of gas added.

Or - just get the MPG from your car's computer readout.

Normally you will find that the car's system has computed the mileage accurately enough that manual calculations are a waste of time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2 cents: the tank is not 19 gallons. Miles to empty shows 30. Drove 3 more miles and went blank (like I have no more miles to drive). I filled the tank with about 15 gallons. It was filled all the way up to the cap. So, with 4 gallons left in the tank is showing me no miles to empty…

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
Typical. Most tanks have at least 2-3 gallons remaining when readout says Zero miles left. They don't want you to walk home, they want you to get scared and fill up first. It also helps cool the fuel pump, which depends on being immersed in fuel to stay cool.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 2 cents: the tank is not 19 gallons. Miles to empty shows 30. Drove 3 more miles and went blank (like I have no more miles to drive). I filled the tank with about 15 gallons. It was filled all the way up to the cap. So, with 4 gallons left in the tank is showing me no miles to empty…
I would not fill it all the way to the cap.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Maybe I am wrong, but I always topped off up to the cap so I can go the extra mile and I am doing this for at least 10 years. I see no signs of any type of issues. I am not saying that this is the right thing to do, but its just a way how I do it

·
Registered
778 Posts
Correct, topping off is bad for your evaporator canister. I see no reason to put any more gas in after it clicks off assuming the pump is filling correctly. I almost never let my tank get below 1/4, so not really that concerned about how accurate the miles to empty is most of the time. I typically get 13-14 gallons in, so it seems about right for capacity.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
Overfilling can ruin your evaporation canister. Don't push it.

My Murano always shut off early so I could add another gallon or so, but that's an individual variation of vehicles. In general, based on what you have learned about your own vehicle you should either call it good when the nozzle click off, or add just a bit until you get a second shutoff. That's as far as you should go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I bought a 2020 Murano Platinum. It has as all Murano's have a 19-gallon tank. So I estimated that every quarter of a tank marking on the gas gauge should be around 5 gallons. I have only had two gas tank fillups. The first it was 3/4 empty and only took 11 gallons (I would have thought around 14.5 at least). Today I filled up at 1/2 tank and it took just a little over 8.2 gallons. What gives?

My trip computer for the fillup today estimated I was getting 21.1 MPG (we were on a road trip and the gusty winds were blowing directly against us). So today it had 150.9 miles on it, the tank was at 1/2 full and when I filled up it only took 8.2 gallons which means I was only getting 18.4 mpg? Plus it was exactly at 1/2 full and only took 8.2 gallons (I would have thought it would have taken 9.5 gallons at least). I don't get it?

Tony
I have a 2015 and the fuel gauge is annoying. When the gauge registers 1/2 tank the mileage driven and the mileage left on the tank are no where near the same. I reset the computer at each fill-up. That said, the mileage calculated and the computer are not very far apart. The best I've done is 30.9 mpg (calculated) with big caveat - Albuquerque to Amarillo - downhill without a head wind. When filling up, I set flow to maximum and round to the next 5 cents after it clicks off. The most fuel ever purchases was 17.0 gallons. Computer had ceased to register for some time. While I generally do not let that happen, I figure that I have about 40-50 miles once it does. Your mileage will probably get better once you have some more miles on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It’s a fault I think my 06 Mo when full shows 7/8 on the fuel gauge after 2 or 3 short trips it shows empty so have to go by trip counter.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I find that fuel gauge drops quickly during the first half of the tank and slows down as you approach the bottom half. Most of the time I find myself sitting between 1/4 and 1/2 empty as the first halfs reading drops so fast after a fill up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In the aviation field it is said the only time to trust the fuel gauge is when it reads empty and you want to be on the ground when it does. Any other time it is an estimate. I carry that over to me cars.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
Let's face it, the gas gauge is only there to give you a close idea of how much is left. Expecting it to be highly accurate has never been realistic.

As the old saying goes for those who wait till the last minute to fill up... "They run just as good on the top half of the tank as they do on the bottom half of the tank."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts