Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 2006 Black Murano owner. But my question is on my wife's 1994 Honda Accord.

After filling the accord gas tank, I simply forgot to put the gas cap back and left it on my trunk as I drove off.

My question is, is it alright to drive the car. I do plan on replacing a new one. Thank you:confused:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I certainly would not want to go riding around without a gas cap for an extended period of time. If it is hidden behind a fuel door I would think it is OK. Seeing that it is a 1994 model I do not think the CHECK ENGINE or SERVICE ENGINE SOON lights will come on.

I would make a trip to the auto parts store at your earliest convenience.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
njjoe said:

I would make a trip to the auto parts store at your earliest convenience.
Agree. Gas caps are cheap.

You might even go back to the station and ask if they found it.

Years ago I pumped gas (when it went over 50 cents a gallon people whined). Anyway, we had a small collection of recovered caps available.

Anyway, replace it....today.

·
5,244 Posts
I agree. Driving a car without gas tank cap is dangerous. Not only to you but others...

·
Read Only
554 Posts
pre-1996 cars are not OBD II equipped, so you shouldn't trigger the "check engine" light. However, the potential damage is more than simply to the environment from evaporative emissions. A missing (or loose) gas cap, even behind a fuel door, will leak some gas that can be smelled in the passenger compartment. Annoying at least and potential dangerous as you can be overcome by gas fumes. Also, leaking gas is none too good for the paint around the fuel opening. Besides fumes, gas itself can leak out creating a significant fire hazard. So for the safety of the vehicle occupants, aesthetic and fire hazard reasons, get a replacement. As others have said, they are cheap and readily available at most aftermarket parts stores. I believe Slant is one of the more popular aftermarket brands available in locking and non-locking versions.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It won't harm your vehicle but its rather polluting since the vapor pressure of gasoline is so low. It shouldn't be difficult to find a gas cap at your local Autozone for $5.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Interestingly enuf, starting in 2008 Ford won't have gas caps.
They are going to the capless filler that came on the GT.
No cap to lose. No cap to turn far enough or the engine lite comes on. No emissions escape. none.

Shouldn't be too long after that that Toyota or Nissan will claim that they invented it.......... :rolleyes:

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hfelknor said:
Interestingly enuf, starting in 2008 Ford won't have gas caps.
They are going to the capless filler that came on the GT.
No cap to lose. No cap to turn far enough or the engine lite comes on. No emissions escape. none.

Shouldn't be too long after that that Toyota or Nissan will claim that they invented it.......... :rolleyes:

Homer
Thats fine if the capless filler works for the lifetime of the car. A gas cap is old tech, but its also a cheap part that hardly ever breaks.

·
5,244 Posts
I like this new technology!
Let's hope it will find it way to mass market sooner rather than later.

Reliability? This is an unknown. And without knowing the details I do not think we can even speculate on how reliable it will be.

Eric,
you are right. The gas caps are proven technology and cheap.

Homer,
yes, Japanese did not invent many things, but they are masters in improvements!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
One example of an "improvement" that is on almost every car now are hood struts. They let you keep the hood up without the metal prop rod. But almost certain as well is that in five years, the strut will begin to leak or lose pressure and no longer hold the hood up, whereas the metal prop rod works forever. If you don't agree, tell me how many station wagons or hatchbacks have their rear lid struts working like new after 5 years.

I'm on my third set of hood struts for my 97 Maxima, and expect my Murano to require a new set in the future too. I used to cry "cheap!" when I saw that Toyotas still use hood prop rods, but when you want a car that lasts 20 years, you also want the hood to not fall on your head when you are sticking your melon under the bonnet.

An idea like this was what I was alluding to with my gas cap comment. I like new tech, but I don't want to pay later on for something that will fail and take away a basic function.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Hmmm... A capless gas cap. Very interesting. But why? Can it really be cheaper to manufacture? Is it any more safer? Will it improve my mileage? Was there a grass-roots movement from a group of loons claiming they suffered carpal-tunnel syndrome due to the twisting action required to remove a gas cap? Can it really be called progress if no one benefits from it?

:rolleyes:

-njjoe

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Joe,

so what you are saying it: if it ain't broken don't fix it!

I do not have problem with the current solution. But the new one looks kind of neat. And am sure it wil lprevent few people from driving off with cap off!

I have not seen it so cannot comment on usability, reliabiity and longevity.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris said:
Joe,

so what you are saying it: if it ain't broken don't fix it!
Well, in this case, yeah. The gas cap is a relatively simple part. It is inexpensive, rarely if ever fails, needs no adjustments or maintenance, and usually lasts for the life of the car.

Putting the cap-less gas cap on the Ford GT or the Corvette is fine; putting it on a Geo Metro does not make sense to me.

Just my two cents...

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"rarely if ever fails"
Not knowing, I wondered about that.
And more importantly what was the cost( to our world) if the cap did fail and was still being used.........

Here's a couple of things that I found.
Looks like the failure rate is low.
but looks like the environmental cost is high.

My position is neutral. I am not opposed to technology.
OTOH I positively hate BMW's "Idrive" which has overly complicated the art of driving (and controlling the subsystems) a car.

I thoroughly enjoy my power windows, but will concede that
A- they cost more to buy than "cranks".
B-They cost more to repair than "cranks".
C- the only thing I can do that is better than Cranks, IMO, is lower and raise other windows besides my own.

I also like my CVT, but fully realize that a standard transmission can do the same thing.......and maybe more efficiently.

So, I am an adopter of technology.
In any event I STILL say that the capless gas cap will be on the Murano in the future. :)

Homer

"
Conclusion

The Air Aware project is an important initiative because this air shed is within 91% of the
National Ambient Air Quality Standard for the 8-hour National Ambient Air Quality Standard
for ground-level ozone. Gas caps can leak volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air,
contributing to the formation of ground-level ozone.

According to the Summer 2000 study “Air Quality Emission Reduction Analysis for the
Regional Ozone Action Program,” conducted by the Regional Air Pollution Control Agency
(RAPCA), a VOC emission savings of 192 tons is projected for 2000 gas caps. Our goal of 1000
gas caps was a realistic goal for Bernalillo county. We met that goal by 64%; which may have
reduced the VOC emissions by 58.8 tons. "

http://www.cabq.gov/airquality/pdf/gascapexchange2004.pdf#search="Gas cap failure"

"Statistics and Results

The Gas Cap Testing and Replacement Program resulted in a measurable reduction in
evaporated emissions for Lucas, Wood, and Monroe Counties. As stated previously,
4,756 gas caps were tested and 198 leaking gas caps were replaced. The number of gas
caps replaced suggests that the program has eliminated 39,402 lbs. of evaporated
emissions from entering the air annually. Listed on the following pages are statistics
compiled throughout the 2003 season. This program helped educate many people about
the importance of doing their part in the on-going battle against air pollution. "

http://www.tmacog.org/CommuterServices/Gas_Cap_2003_Summary.pdf

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Homer-

I read the program summary from TMACOG. It was an interesting program. However, like many government programs they exaggerated their results. It looks like they assumed a "worse-case scenario" when they calculated the volume of pollutants their program prevented from entering the atmosphere. They assumed 199 pounds of emissions per car per year, which is one pound shy of the 200 pound maximum they stated.

Regardless it was a good program.

Thanx for sharing the info. You can learn quite a bit on this forum.

Thanx again,
-njjoe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mr3Putt said:

Agree. Gas caps are cheap.

You might even go back to the station and ask if they found it.
I once left my gas cap at a station in Hannibal, Mo. Around 2 years later, after another pass-through that city, I stopped at the same fueling station to fill 'er up. I figured that since I was there, I would check and see if they had recovered my locking gas cap. Sure enough, they still had it in a drawer with several others.
Please note that I still had the key on my key ring- that should give you some indication of how lazy I can get :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts