Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent half an hour trying to get the gas filler hatch open. Finally gave up and pried it open with a screw driver, breaking the latch (I was desperate for gas). Not sure if I will get it fixed again - seems to work ok this way and should never stick shut again. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The doors were unlocked - in fact I had left the vehicle running when I first pulled up to the pumps and tried to open it, then I pulled away to work on it awhile(kind of embarrassing!).

·
Registered
114 Posts
You probably needed to hit the unlock button again to unlock the filler cap. Opening the front door to exit the vehicle doesn't unlock the filler cap.

BTW, why on earth would you leave the car running while pumping gas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried that several times. Still wouldn't open. It was running to warm the car up because it was very cold(ok, not the smartest thing to do).

·
Registered
717 Posts
Running while filling with Gas

Careful! This is a well documented cause of oxygen sensor failure in Nissan engines (regardless of the obvious saftey issues.) Once one oxygen sensor starts to fail, the others seem to fal in right behind.

Please break this habit ASAP!! :cry:

·
Registered
16 Posts
HUH???? Are you saying that idling the engine will cause O2 sensor failure????? Or are you saying that gassing up while that engine is idling will cause O2 sensor failure?????

I am not an expert, but I can't say that I believe any of that. Obviously it is a terrible idea to leave the car runinng while filling up. But to suggest that warming the car up, regardless of whether you are at the gas station or not, will cause imminent O2 sensor failure, is just wrong.

Point me to some official document that says otherwise and I will humbly eat my words.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What he means is that running the engine with the gas cap removed has been blamed as a reason for premature O2 sensor failure.

It has nothing to do with whether you are warming up the engine. It has to do purely with running engine while the gas cap is off...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow!!!

I had know idea it was bad for the 02 censor to fill up while running the engine......just another reason to not do an idiotic thing.:14:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts