Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
For the first few thousand miles it is going to be less than stellar. I think we were getting 15'ish. As time went on we were getting 17-18 in town and 23-25 highway before we sold it at 43K miles. Keep in mind - I'm in Chicago and our 'city' driving is worse than most places.

Also, cold weather will have some affect - cars tend to idle higher and longer during the winter months.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I find gas mileage varies *a lot* depending on ambient conditions. I usually get around 16-17 in the city, and 20-23 on the highway depending how fast I go (23 at 65, 20 at 80mph). This is on 93 octane super unleaded.

Extreme cold weather (extended warm up times) and hot weather (AC usage) will also lead to poor fuel economy.

Yesterday I made a drive from Chicago to Champaign, IL and got terrible fuel economy, around 17mpg doing 70mph. I figure it was either some bad gasoline, or a really strong headwind. I'll verify on the next tank of gas.

·
136 Posts
23/24 in town and 23/24 on the highway. Worst fillup was 22 MPG. I generally run regular and am sometimes guilty of coasting to red lights but never hold up traffic.

The Mileage display is usually fairly accurate but sometimes off 1 MPG

·
Registered
147 Posts
I get 17.7 to 18.6, depending on traffic.

On the highway I've gotten as high as 25.8 at 65mph. At 80mph it drops down to around 17.8 or 17.9.

The trip and milage computer on my Murano is amazingly accurate. I check up on it every so often and it is usually dead on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I get around 18 in stop and go, and between 20-25 on the highway. It depends a lot on how I drive. Using 87 octane or 91 doesn't seem to matter much.

·
Registered
94 Posts
21-23 mostly highway, super unleaded only.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Sgt_Beavis said:

You're wasting your money.
I disagree. It has been discussed before. Many of those who use super unleaded (including myself) experience about 1 mpg or better gas mileage improvement which translates to about 20 miles more per tank which again translates to one gallon less per fillup. Now you are paying about 20 cents per gallon more which is about 4 dollors per tank but saving the cost of that extra gallon (about $2.50 these days). Performance is difinitely much better with super so you will be paying at most $1.50 per tank more (over regular) to get better performance. I don't know of many modifications to the engine which will cost you less and give you the kind of inprovement this does. So wasting money? Not a cent!

·
Registered
73 Posts
absolutely, without question, the Murano runs better on premium. Have tried them all, and the car is noticeably sluggish using regular. Don't notice a difference in gas mileage though, but it would seem that if the car is sluggish using regular, one would probably go heavier on the gas pedal in an attempt to 'recover' the performance, thus lowering gas milege.

·
5,244 Posts
lawbroker said:
absolutely, without question, the Murano runs better on premium. Have tried them all, and the car is noticeably sluggish using regular. Don't notice a difference in gas mileage though, but it would seem that if the car is sluggish using regular, one would probably go heavier on the gas pedal in an attempt to 'recover' the performance, thus lowering gas milege.

I would agree with this statement. That is how I feel too. After 3 -4 for tanks of regular I put premium - there is a difference! No doubt!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I'll chime in and say that I notice a marked improvement in performance on super as well. Most noticeable is off the line performance, on regular its a bit sluggish. If you accelerate the same as other cars, you will not notice the difference. If you are a green light jockey like me, you will.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Here is an informative little post from one of our own.

http://www.zfilms.org/Stories/Murano/2004/11-14/index.html

About the middle of the page there is mention of changing to higher octane. Now, it could just be better performance and not have much change on MPG.

For the 10 cents per gallon @ 20 gallons x 1 fillup per week x 52 weeks per year = $104 a year / 365 days = 28 cents a day for a little extra umph...it's worth it.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I set the cruise on 70 MPH today and was able to get 22.3 MPG on a 180 mile trip on regular gas with a relatively "tight" (5,000 miles) engine.

I couldn't get 22 MPG in my Jeep unless I was driving down Pikes Peak!

By the way, it sure ain't easy driving for almost 3 hours with the cruise control set at 70! I was looking forward to the toll plazas just to be able to feel some speed!!

-njjoe

·
Registered
155 Posts
For the 10 cents per gallon @ 20 gallons x 1 fillup per week x 52 weeks per year
Lucky you.
In Canada, the extra amount paid for 91 octane (highest grade generally available) and 87 octane is at least 10 cents per liter - or 40 cents per US gallon.

Changes the equation rather dramatically!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
bruno said:

Lucky you.
In Canada, the extra amount paid for 91 octane (highest grade generally available) and 87 octane is at least 10 cents per liter - or 40 cents per US gallon.
I would love to hear an oil executive attempt to justify that. :bsflag:

IMHO, I don't think there is any rationale for it.

-njjoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Normal everyday driving mix I get 19.2.

On a round trip to to Chicago (320 mi) this week I milked 25.4. At one point prior to stop and go I was @ 26.6 but fell back.

This on regular gas, without center muffler, 2,500 miles on Mo and dashboard calculated..

·
5,244 Posts
See5 said:
Normal everyday driving mix I get 19.2.

On a round trip to to Chicago (320 mi) this week I milked 25.4. At one point prior to stop and go I was @ 26.6 but fell back.

This on regular gas, without center muffler, 2,500 miles on Mo and dashboard calculated..
How do you like Murano without center mufler? What did you do to it? Pictures?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts