Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering do the 2005 and 2003 Murano's get any different gas mileage? I just bought the 03 and was looking at the 05 and the computer on the 05 said 26 mpg. We were quite suprised at the poor mileage we have gotten on our new Murano. (1600km in 6 days) As all reports were it is not that bad on gas. Mind you I just love the ride. But just curious.
Thanks

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
wetz1415-

If you drive with a light foot it is very possible to achieve 26 MPG at 60 MPH. Driving faster or more enthusiastically will cause the MPG to plummet.

-njjoe

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just drove to PEI from Toronto and maintained a consistent 115km's per hr. I managed to get 20.2 MPG / 11.5 ltr per 100km. So....26 MPG seems pretty amazing to me!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
crash-

From what I have experienced, the optimum speed for best fuel economy is in the 40 - 55 MPH range (64 - 89 km/hr). Once you exceed that range the fuel efficiency drops.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm not going to do the conversion from Liters per fortnight, I'll leave that to you.

But at 115Km/hr MY 03 Murano will do 24 and change.....carrying two people and 400 pounds of cargo.
If I got the 20.2 MPG that you get, I would sell the car. :)

Homer

·
Registered
191 Posts
weird.....admittedly in New Brunswick, there are some hills - but mostly it was on cruise. And as the wife was with me, I wasn't going nuts on being agressive.

I've always found that my readings never really change. When I'm in the city doing stop and go, it stays around 20 MPG...but when on the highway (recent rounds of speeding tickets have prompted me to respect the posted within 15 KPH :cool: ) it stays the same. It sounds like you guys see changes consistently.

Even stranger is I run a K&N filter, 100% with premium fuel & before the trip filled up the tires (38 PSI) and had an oil change.

·
5,244 Posts
crash,

did you reset the mpg readings prior to the trip?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Kris said:
crash,

did you reset the mpg readings prior to the trip?
That is what I was thinking. Sounds like the computer on crash'e MO is either averaging over a long time or it is not reporting correctly.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Anybody check Crash' math.
And remember NO Imperial Gallons!

Homer

·
Registered
842 Posts
crash said:
I just drove to PEI from Toronto and maintained a consistent 115km's per hr. I managed to get 20.2 MPG / 11.5 ltr per 100km. So....26 MPG seems pretty amazing to me!
Crash
11.5 liters per 100 Km works out to 24.8 mpg (imperial gallons) The Mo only reads in Lts/100 Km or miles to US gal. I have been successful in getting 9 liters/ 100 Km when doing 100 Kph ( 62.5 Mph). I did that on my last trip to Victoria B.C. going over two mtn ranges and all on cruise control.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also run a k&n filter and was running about 120kmph and on the way to our trip I was getting 19-20 according to the computer. So I started recording on the way home and on the way home on 45 litres I got 390 kms. Which I though was better. But still really disappointed in the mileage of the vehicle. I ran a cleaner through the system at the previous fill up. According to the books and research I had done the fuel mileage is not even close.But with this vehicle I love driving it so much that I don't want future gas prices to price it out of the market for us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back windshield wiper

I tried to replace the back windshield wiper and could not get the metal arm off. I believe I am a pretty handy and thought this to be a snap. I ended up just taking the rubber off and replacing that. Is there another way to replace this?

·
Registered
191 Posts
zebelkhan said:

That is what I was thinking. Sounds like the computer on crash'e MO is either averaging over a long time or it is not reporting correctly.
Hey folks,

It was bugging me so I was playing with it on the drive home (what else are you going to do while stuck in traffic??)....I held down the fuel econ button and it reset itself to be a more dynamic rating - dumb that I didn't know that before, but I do now. I found that yes, my mileage did change quite a bit...

As for the MPG readings - I was just quoting off the dash from when the E/M button was hit...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
crash-

Excellent!! At the push of a button, your MO is now getting better (reported) fuel mileage. :D

-njjoe

·
Registered
842 Posts
wetz1415 said:
I also run a k&n filter and was running about 120kmph and on the way to our trip I was getting 19-20 according to the computer. So I started recording on the way home and on the way home on 45 litres I got 390 kms. Which I though was better. But still really disappointed in the mileage of the vehicle. I ran a cleaner through the system at the previous fill up. According to the books and research I had done the fuel mileage is not even close.But with this vehicle I love driving it so much that I don't want future gas prices to price it out of the market for us.
Wetz1415
According to my handy dandy fuel economy calculator your fuel consumption of 45Lts to 390Kms equates to 11.4 Lts/100 Km or 24.5 Mpg/imperial gallon. Considering you where driving at 120 Kph that sounds pretty decent.

The fuel economy figures that the car manufactures get are from the testing that they do with Transport Canada, and they test on ideal conditions like a flat track, warm day( 20C), no stop and go driving and at a set speed of 100 Kph. In the fine print the car dealers always state that your fuel ecnomy will vary depending how and where you drive.

You can always test your car by driving at differant speeds over the same road. I would suggest though that your reset the computer at the start of every test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts