Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 10K milkes on my Murano now, half mostly city driving and the rest from a 5K road trip this summer. Before the trip, in fairly heavy footed city driving, I was getting 15-16 mpg pretty regularly. The car was well broken in by the time I went on the road trip.
Now that I'm back, I'm getting about 18.5 mpg in the same type of driving - heavy foot, city driving. I run 87 octane all the time.

This is not a complaint! Me smiling!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Gas mileage is supposed to increase as the car gets broken in. You had what, less than 5K mile on your Mo when you took the trip. Thats nothing.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Cryogenix said:
Even during the break-in period, when I was driving easier than I am now now, I never got above 13.1 MPG. I regularly get 12.4 MPG freeway/city. Just about the worst vehicle I've ever had for gas mileage--nearly as bad as my 383 & 440 '70 Cudas..
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you say in the past that you drive with the MO mainly in Ds..... well...... :14:

I drive fast on the highway but fairly genttle with the gas.... currently I'm averaging just under 20 MPG based on my own calculations with each fill-up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You had what, less than 5K mile on your Mo when you took the trip. Thats nothing.
Hmmm, I've had numerous new vehicles and typically the break in is done by 5k MIles. Nissan says it's over at 2k. It just seems like a fairly significant shift to me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you read the OM it refers to what you call Ds as second gear... so of coure if you are driving around in second gear all the time you are gona get worse gas mileage. I only use the Ds when I need a little extra go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Weird. I don't think I've ever gotten less than 19. I got 22 last week on the freeway with a full load of stuff. SL AWD, using premium gas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
did you reset your mpg meter? mabye its still running on the average from your long trip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought mine in Feb this year and during the breakin period I had about 16 - 18 mpgs. This was taking it easy and driving only in D. After 7.5k miles I get about 17.5 - 20mpgs city driving and 21 - 24mpgs highway driving. I still occasionally see 16 - 17mpgs but that's when I pop it into Ds and L a lot! Gotta have some fun sometimes right? :D I was really worried about the mpgs in the beginning too but now I am somewhat satisfied with the results and hoping it gets better as I put on more miles.

I usually put 87 octane (NY gas prices are CRAZY) and the occasional premium when I take trips down to NJ. I also reset the MPG display every fillup.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Trip from Rochester NY to Virginia Beach, 99% Freeway and cruise set at 75, 2 adults and small dog... and about 200lbs of stuff aboard. I got 22.5 mpg. Premium gas.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Cryogenix said:
Pre-break-in can't be that drastically poor on fuel economy.
It's been my experience with this, now my 3rd VQ motor, that break in is not complete and the vehicle doesn't reach maximum fuel efficency potential until about 8-9,000 miles.

I have detailed records documenting virtually every fillup and the mileage, back to 1994, starting with my 95 Maxima, that will support this statement pretty clearly. 95 Max was totaled with 192,xxx miles on it, 00 Max has 142,xxx on it now and the 03 Murano has 28,xxx on it.

How about trying a tank of premium gas, and using D instead of Ds, keep the rpms GENERALLY under 2500, and then let us know what you get?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Cryogenix said:
I've been trying to drive in D mode the since filling up a couple of days ago. Not working... Ds is just way more fun...
I agree completely with you!

I just don't think it's fair to drive in Ds, using phrases like "during high acceleration" and then kind of complaing about your gas mileage not being high enough!

Like I said, baby it for one tank, avoid the high acceleration, and you'll be significantly higher in mpg but probably not in spg (smiles per gallon):2:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you reset your mpg meter? mabye its still running on the average from your long trip.
Yep, I did. When I'm curious about mileage (usually only when the vehicle is newer), I check it manually anyway, keep a log on long trips. The Muranos electronic version was within .1 of a mpg overall, pretty accurate really.

Still not complaining, especailly if I can look forward to it getting better yet. I need to slow down a bit too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have also noticed that milage has improved as I put on some miles, now have about 14K. It also "feels" like the engine is more powerful but that is subjective.

Just finished a long road trip over the Sierra and back, and got 23.4 mpg with premium gas.

Have seen a lot of postings re problems and I hope I do not jinx myself by saying that I have had absolutley zero problems since the car was new, no rattles, everything works and it is probably the best car I have ever owned.

Ray

2004 SL AWD
touring package
Mobil 1

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know how short your 'in town' driving is, and am also unfamiliar with the Murano's software... but, it is possible that, during your road trip, the ECU 'learned' to lean out the mixture. The ECU will store offsets for fuel/air ratio, and it might have gone leaner due to the extended highway miles. Of course if this is true, it will probably adjust richer over time now that you're back in your 'in town' driving mode. Just a theory.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Interesting but I would think that the MO would be leaning for any type of operation except for hard acceleration of if it detect detonation (Asside from adjusting timing) city or highway.

·
Registered
844 Posts
turbodog said:
I don't know how short your 'in town' driving is, and am also unfamiliar with the Murano's software... but, it is possible that, during your road trip, the ECU 'learned' to lean out the mixture. The ECU will store offsets for fuel/air ratio, and it might have gone leaner due to the extended highway miles. Of course if this is true, it will probably adjust richer over time now that you're back in your 'in town' driving mode. Just a theory.

I do not know any computer controls that learn from anything. Everything is programmed to handle certain conditions unless re-programmed to handle new parameters.

Gas economy depends on a lot of varibles such as weather conditions, the way you personally drive, to the type of fuel/oil you use, altitude.

The only thing that you have any control over is the speed in which you drive. The higher RPM that your engine operates at the more fuel that you will consume. A fact most of us can attest to is that the Mo is a joy to drive at any speed, but if you drive it with a heavy foot you will pay for it at the pump. It is all about the choices you make.:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stoker said:

I do not know any computer controls that learn from anything. Everything is programmed to handle certain conditions unless re-programmed to handle new parameters.

Actually, many (maybe all) do. It is a fundamental requirement in order for them to assure the EPA that the system will remain emissions legal for many years/miles - as sensors age/drift, etc.

I suggest reading
http://www.customefis.com/GMEFI.html

or

http://fastfieros.com/tech/how_gm_electronic_fuel_injection.htm

Admittedly, these pages describe GM EFI (the only system with which I am intimately acquainted)...

Look for references to "Block LEARN Mode"... where the ECU "learns" to offset fueling to compensate for a variety of other factors.

Again it was just a theory, and probably wrong... but not because the 'learning' capability doesn't exist.

·
Registered
844 Posts
MPG

Thanks for the info

1 - 18 of 18 Posts