Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Murano (01/03 build, purchased 06/03, ~5000 miles) that has developed a problem the last 2 times to the gas station.

I put the pump in the tank, put the lock on the pump so I don't have to hold it to fill the entire tank, let it click off, I don't top it off, unlock the pump and remove it. And then the gas starts to pour out.

It is hard to tell how much, but at least a cup. This didn't hapen with my previous car or with my husband's car (and he pumped the last tank so it isn't me). It was the same gas station both times, but our other car goes there too and it hasn't happen with that one.

This can't be normal... any ideas?

Emily

·
Registered
792 Posts
Seems like the pump is shutting off too late.

I know with these when the pump stops - it is full. You might be able to top it a little bit - but not much. I'll generally go to the next $.25 and stop.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. I'm inclined to believe it's the pump and not the MO. It doesn't happen with every gas station I go to... only particular ones.

Bob K.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Try not setting the pump at "full on".
One difference between pumps is how fast they fill.

And I have noticed with the MO that the fill pipe is particularly small.
This leads to the tank "burping" if it gets air trapped in the pipe.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
This has happened to me before too. I noticed that this happens most often (even on my other cars) at gas stations where the nozzles do not fit all the way into the filler hole. Some look like they are barely hanging on when you push it all the way in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Murano does have a "refueling emission control system" which your other vehicles probably do not (unless brand new). This system could easily make the tank more sensitive to gas pump shut-off characteristics:

Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) System
• ORVR system operation
— From the beginning of refueling, the fuel tank pressure goes up.
— When the pressure reaches the setting value of the refueling control valve (RCV)
opening pressure, the RCV, is opened.
— After the RCV opens, the air and vapor inside the fuel tank go through refueling
EVAP vapor cut valve, RCV and refueling vapor line to the EVAP canister.
— The vapor is absorbed by the EVAP canister and the air is released to the
atmosphere.
— When the refueling has reached the full level of the fuel tank, the refueling EVAP
vapor cut valve is closed and refueling is stopped via auto shutoff.
— The vapor which was absorbed by the EVAP canister is purged during driving.
— The RCV is always closed during driving and the evaporative emission control
system is operated the same as a conventional system.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
turbodog said:
The Murano does have a "refueling emission control system" which your other vehicles probably do not (unless brand new). This system could easily make the tank more sensitive to gas pump shut-off characteristics:

Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) System
• ORVR system operation
— From the beginning of refueling, the fuel tank pressure goes up.
— When the pressure reaches the setting value of the refueling control valve (RCV)
opening pressure, the RCV, is opened.
— After the RCV opens, the air and vapor inside the fuel tank go through refueling
EVAP vapor cut valve, RCV and refueling vapor line to the EVAP canister.
— The vapor is absorbed by the EVAP canister and the air is released to the
atmosphere.
— When the refueling has reached the full level of the fuel tank, the refueling EVAP
vapor cut valve is closed and refueling is stopped via auto shutoff.
— The vapor which was absorbed by the EVAP canister is purged during driving.
— The RCV is always closed during driving and the evaporative emission control
system is operated the same as a conventional system.
Very good writeup. Did it come from the FSM? Sounds a lot more clear than anything the FSM usually shows!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think a lot of the problem is caused by a small diameter gas filler tube that basically pressurizes the tank at the end of the fill based on the inertia of the fuel running in. The filler tube looks like it is no more than 1" in diameter combined with a plastic tank that can swell a bit and you have a problem. If the pump shut off is a bit late tank expands a bit pump shuts off and the tank shrinks depositing the over fill on the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts