Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced feeling sort of a "grinding" feeling in the gas pedal? I can feel a slightly harsh "movement" in the gas pedal while driving. Any clues???

(SL AWD, SuperBlack, Leather....FULLY LOADED, born on 5/03.)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
You should not feel anything in the gas pedal while driving since its not really connected to anything - the gas pedal in the Murano is electronic and uses a sensor at the base of the pedal. So unlike traditional accelerator cable pedals, this one should not transmit any vibration from the engine. If you are feeling excessive vibration and are sure nothing is binding the gas pedal (like maybe your floormats got pushed back too far), then it is worth taking your car to the dealer to have the engine mounts inspected.

·
El Pomidoro!
28 Posts
While driving on a somewhat bumpy road I feel a slight slight harshness pressing and releasing the accelerator. It's usually smooth though. I am going to drive my parent's pathfinder tonight or tomorrow to see if there is a difference.

Leo

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gas pedal grinding

I also experience the "grinding" or "vibrating" pedal feeling. As a result of the CVT transmission there is some vibration that is dampened and not felt throughout the rest of the vehicle. However the pedal offers a path of transmission for the smallest of vibrations. No worries!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gas Pedal....

Thanks for the responses, glad to see that it's not just me experiencing this....although I hope that's not indicative of yet another widespread problem that Nissan needs a TSB for.

(By the way, I do have the adjustable pedals.)

(SL AWD, SuperBlack, Leather....FULLY LOADED, born on 5/03.)

·
El Pomidoro!
28 Posts
Good news. I do not have the adjustable pedals. The feeling is more of a vibration from the friction of the road. Just something, I suppose, to get used to. I dont find it too worriesome though.

Leo

·
Registered
114 Posts
I get that grinding sensation as well. I can see the difference when I drive my 2001 Accord v6 which is extremely smooth.

I just have about 350 miles on my Murano. Will the gas pedal start feeling smoother as I keep driving once break-in is achieved ?

Question to folks who have been driving their Murano for quite sometime now. Are your Muranos' gas pedals smoother now than when you purchased it ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hmm.. strange problem. I'm not noticing a grinding feeling. In fact, the gas pedal is TOO smooth. I find myself with less resistance than I am used to, and on bumpy roads I have to keep my foot REALLY STEADY as to not fluctuate the pedal from all the bumps...

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
My experience parallels Dooms.

And since this problem has only seemed to happen to 4? people in the whole year, I think y'all need to get this looked at at the next oil change.

Most certainly, there is no basis for a TSB here, yet.

Homer

·
Registered
114 Posts
One reason could be the roads are way smoother and better paved and maintained in NJ than in LA. But then when I accelarate to about 3000 RPM, I do sense the roughness on the gas pedal.

Doombringer,

Did your car feel as smooth as it is now when you bought it or has it eventually become smoother due to break in ?

I got my car from a dealer who in turn got it from another dealer and it had 46 miles when I bought it. Is it possible that the guy who drove from the first dealer to the second, really drove it harshly during the 30 miles between the dealers and could this be a reason why I am feeling it ?

My Accord has other engine noises that fortunately the MO does not have. But my 32k Miles Accord feels a lot smoother.

Any idea how I would describe this problem to the dealer and what specific components I should ask them to check ?

or should I just renew all the vehicle fluids including CVT fluid, engine il etc even though I only have 350 miles on it.

If this is common among new MOs until break-in, I would wait for the next oil change to describe this problem to the dealer.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's kinda hard to remember how it was back when I first got it as compared to now. I think now it has a bit more get up and go and better gas mileage, but don't quote me as gospel.

My dealer also had it driven in (30 miles or so). It's entirely possible that something happened, but I doubt it.

I tried feeling for the sensation tonight while driving... what I DID feel was vibration. This happened at certain speeds, particularly when the CVT was working hard (acceleration from a stop). It felt like the same vibration was coming through the floorboard in general, so I wouldn't say this is specifically a problem with the gas pedal mechanism (what little there is).

I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm generally hypersensitive so it says something when I can't feel something. I was a loud voice on the FA forums about the quirks of the CVT (heavier engine braking at lower speeds, a 'release' sensation at 15 MPH, occasional 'grab' sensation when cancelling engine braking by hitting the gas, etc), figuring it was a problem. Turns out it was how the darn thing was supposed to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got the same "grinding vibration." It's constantly present, but does change periodically in intensity. It does not seem to be related to the road condition.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Doombringer,

While smoothness is very subjective, I can relate to what you are saying. Vibration when accelarating at certain speeds and CVT is extremely sensitive. Like you said on minor bumps/dips if you cannot hold the gas pedal, the CVT is sensitive and reacts by reducing or increasing the speed momentarily. I think it will be a learning curve just to use the CVT properly, which anyway is a new experience and one of the reasons I bought the MO rather than a conventional automatic or manual.

I will put this issue to sleep for a while. I am planning to go to the nearest dealer as soon as I get the number plates or oil changes whichever comes first, may be have all fluids replaced. In my experience with some new vehicles, I have seen smoothness improve after the first few oil changes and minor service.

mhuckaby,

How old is your vehicle and how many miles do you have on it ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had some vibration in the gas pedal, but not a grinding noise. And it only happens when the Mo is cold and goes away as it warms up. It might be the vibration from the exhaust systems? Not sure :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think I found out why.

It's that useless hand brake, the one you press to avoid the vehicle from slidling on slopes. I believe it was slightly pressed. I never use those brakes unless parked on a slope. One of my friends testdrove my vehicle a few days back and he must have engaged it slightly by mistake. However the brakes were not completely engaged so I think my vehicle is OK.

Some people have the bad habit of engaging those hand brakes when not needed.

I disengaged them and the vehicle appear to be a lot smoother.

When you have someone else test drive your vehicle, make sure the brakes are not engaged. Nissan should have kept those brakes in another location where visible. I will keep watching if the smoothness continues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts