Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Murano 10 days ago. I absolutlely love this car!

I had a full tank of gas when I drove it from the dealership. After about 270 miles the empty tank light came on. I went to the gas station and only put 16 gals in it instead of expected 21.
Is that normal on new Muranos or do I have to check it?

Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The one time mine came on, I had about 3 gallons remaining in the tank. I would wait and try again.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Its best not to run the tank down too low. The in tank fuel pump uses gasoline as both a lubricant and coolant for the unit - running it down to fumes may overwork the pump.

The Murano has 3-3.5 gallons left when the light comes on. The DTE is also conservative - you have about 2 gallons when it shows a *

I usually fillup between 16 and 18 gallons.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Gas tank Capacity

I would not put a lot of faith in the low fuel light alarm as I have varying results with it. One time the light came on I had 3 liters ( less that a gallon) and another time I drove the car 75 Km with *** in the DTE line. I always cross check my fuel consuption with the tripomonitor to cross reference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My experience has been over the past 7500 miles that the DTE is off by 2 gallons on my 03 SE AWD. Always good to know there is a little bit extra left past empty! ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've found that if you park the MO at a sideways slant, like on the side of the road near a ditch, the fuel sensor cant detect fuel on one side of the tank. Therefor, when you turn the car on, it thinks you have low fuel, and the light will stay on until you turn the car off then back on. It's happened to me a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ppeter78 said:
i have almost put in 24
The tank capacity is 21.7 gallons. I hope your gas station is not ripping you off by overestimating the gallons.

·
Registered
33 Posts
these tanks are not exact they are molds but either way i did put in that much mind you i topped it off and never run out but i guess i have come close... i would be interested in driving it till emply just to see how much i can really get in that tank...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Ok I believe you that you think you put 24 gallons into the tank.

But the fact remains - casting molds are not off by 10%+ - the tank holds 21.7 gallons maximum, and thats only if you ran out of gas and pushed the car up to the pump.

I mentioned this before - I hope your gas station is not ripping you off by charging you for more gallons than you actually get. It has been known to happen.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
ppeter78 said:
these tanks are not exact they are molds but either way i did put in that much mind you i topped it off and never run out but i guess i have come close... i would be interested in driving it till emply just to see how much i can really get in that tank...
I heard if you run out of gas in a fuel injected car you will run the risk of burning out the fuel pump as well as getting air in the injection system which may require bleeding.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:

I heard if you run out of gas in a fuel injected car you will run the risk of burning out the fuel pump as well as getting air in the injection system which may require bleeding.
This is true. The in tank fuel pump uses gasoline as both a coolant and a lubricant. Running the tank dry will overextend the pump and possibly cause damage.

·
Registered
275 Posts
24 GALLONS, WOW! I can't get more than 20, and I drive a while after the light goes on usually.

There was just a big deal on our local news channel where some gas station pumps are not distributing as much gas as they say; ripping us off at the pump. A little here and there we don't really notice, but it really becomes profitable for the filling station.

Call you local news station if you suspect this. They love to expose stuff like that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts