Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a stupid question...but i dont think it has been touched upon...Does anybody know if it makes any difference what brand of gas you use? I always use at least 91 octane, but does it matter whether i use sunoco, mobil, shell, etc??

·
Registered
631 Posts
krazyrich21 said:
This may seem like a stupid question...but i dont think it has been touched upon...Does anybody know if it makes any difference what brand of gas you use? I always use at least 91 octane, but does it matter whether i use sunoco, mobil, shell, etc??
I think that's going to depend heavily on every person's history and personal opinion.

I know many people who have run thier cars for years on Arco regular without a single problem. I know just as many people who have complained about water in the gas from 7-11/Citgo. I had a friend from somewhere in the midwest (I forgot where exactly) who told me that at the major supply warehouses you could actually watch trucks from different brands fill up from the same feed pump.

Personally, I would say that any reasonably reputable gasoline brand should be fine... the only thing I have heard that was backed by actual proof was that you should switch brands every so often. Brand A has certain cleaning agents but can leave a certain deposit residue over time, and Brand B's cleaning agents might clean what Brand A leaves behind but leave it's own residue, etc. I usually rotate between Chevron, Shell, and Texaco every 6 months.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree with special-K. I don't think there's any real difference between brands of gas. Personally, I try to stick with the bigger brands (exxon, mobil, shell, bp amoco, gulf, hess, etc.) vs. mom and pop types... unless I'm force to, like on road trips.

Not to scare anyone, but even the brand names you cannot always trust. There was a story a long time ago (i think in the early 90s) about Texaco selling bad gas or like not selling the gas they are supposed to. Like giving regular instead of the premium. Does anyone remember that story?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It is true that the tankers for different stations all fillup at the same holding tanks. The base gasoline is the same. The main difference between brands is the small amount of additives and detergents each manufacturer touts. By law, all gasoline has a certain level of detergents, but I do believe some detergents are more effective than others - my favorite is Chevron Techron (in California), but there aren't any Chevrons in the midwest! :(

Nowadays I fill up at Exxon-Mobil or Marathon (the makers of Valvoline).

This is a bit off topic, but I notice that Shell has REALLY FAST pumps. I kind of like that, but I still don't like Shell ever since Toyota dealerships in the SF Bay Area started telling people not to use their gas due to drivability problems. However, in response, Shell has recently (in the past year) doubled the detergent in their regular and midgrade, and now has five times the required detergents in their premium (hence the name "V" power).

However, between the major brands, I do not believe the difference in detergent effectiveness is enough to offset any price differences. For example, I would not pay 7 or 8 cents more per gallon for Chevron or Shell.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Since I owned the murano...

I tryy to fill up with only shell medium grade. So far so good. I know it says to fill up with premium, bu i tried the mid grade and the ecu retarded the ignition time quite well..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Speaking of which...could someone please explain this to me:

I fill up at Sunoco and use the 91 octane. The pump is one of those where there's one hose coming out of the pump and you have to push the button to choose the grade of gas you want.

Since there's only one hose, it seems to me this is a little bit like waiting for the hot water to come out of the tap: you have to run all the cold out first and wait for the hot to get to the tap from the water heater. In the same way, the hose is going to be filled with the cheap gas from the last guy until the 91 gets from the tank up through the hose to the nozzle. Since the tanks are buried and the hose is pretty long, it seems like you must be paying premium price for at least a gallon of cheap gas.

Am I wrong? Enlighten me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mozman, I remember that story. It was on 20/20 or one of those and they basically said Texaco were crooks.
I use Shell most of the time myself and never have a problem plus I have a credit card that gives me 5% off my gas which now a days is adding up. I did fill up with Kroger gas the other day though and it seems like I have a little hesitation now when I accellerate so it will be back to shell. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
saito said:
Speaking of which...could someone please explain this to me:

I fill up at Sunoco and use the 91 octane. The pump is one of those where there's one hose coming out of the pump and you have to push the button to choose the grade of gas you want.

Since there's only one hose, it seems to me this is a little bit like waiting for the hot water to come out of the tap: you have to run all the cold out first and wait for the hot to get to the tap from the water heater. In the same way, the hose is going to be filled with the cheap gas from the last guy until the 91 gets from the tank up through the hose to the nozzle. Since the tanks are buried and the hose is pretty long, it seems like you must be paying premium price for at least a gallon of cheap gas.

Am I wrong? Enlighten me.
You are correct - the single hose design means you get some of whatever the previous person bougth (which is probably regular). I did read before, that the total volume of "old gas" from the last fillup is quite small, maybe one liter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I was in college I worked in a Shell station in a small town in southern Illinois. Maybe it's different in a larger market, but the same tanker that filled our tanks also filled the Standard and Citgo stations down the street.

Ever since then, I haven't payed much attention to the brand of gas that I use. I just try to avoid the small off-brand stations that might not move enough volume to keep their tanks free from water and sediment.

JeffC

·
Registered
53 Posts
A liter? What the h-e-double-toothpicks is that?

Oh, you mean 0.2641 gallons...got it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts