Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit confused by what I read in the manual about the "S" position on the SL AWD. What range of speed is accepatble for this gear?

The manual describes it as a second gear, while several websites describe it as a sport mode used for downhill braking. Can you ruin the tranny by driving in "S" mode for a long time?

This excerpt is from CarsDirect.com reviewer:
The CVT in the Murano comes with just three ranges: D for normal driving, S for sportier acceleration and L for the highest ratio, or lowest "gear" range. Shifting from D to S raises engine revs 2500 rpm at a given road speed. Dropping from S to L increases engine speed by another 1000 rpm.

Please forgive the naive question!

·
Registered
758 Posts
elliotgb

I have the exact same question as I have been experimenting with the Ds gear position for the last several days. I don't think it is naive and hopefully someone on this forum can answer the question. Thanks for asking it!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Ds is a computer setting which increases gear ratio above the D range, for increased acceleration and engine braking.

You will wear your engine and transmission more by using Ds often since you will be operating both at a higher than normal RPM. Personally I use only Ds for brief moments whenever I feel like I want to dust the car next to me at the redlight. One time while driving cross country I also used Ds to cross some steep mountain passes in Utah, seemed to help a bit.

As for speed limits, I do not believe either Ds or L have a set speed limit, they will just keep the engine speed higher for a given speed. That said, I am curious to know how fast L can go up to in reality, as I am afraid to try on my own car!

·
4,664 Posts
The three positions are just different profiles for how the computer manages the engine and transmission. I've had mine in L at 60 mph and it keeps the engine revs up and makes it extremely responsive, gives good engine braking and sucks gas like crazy. Ds is nice for a sporty mode and D for regular driving.

There's no difference in the mechanics used, just how they're used.

·
Registered
129 Posts
D is for "Dull" but saves gas on the highway and "Does" ok in town

Ds is for "Delight Speed" which is lots of fun for punching in and out of corners

and L is for "Lets go fast" of the line.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ds Gear

All,
Thanks for responding. I had been using Ds during break in period very briefly in an attempt to fluctuate the RPM's. In D mode during normal driving I normally see the RPM's between 1500 and 2000. Per some of the posts I had read on this forum RPM should be fluctuated as much as possible during break in without going over 4500 (I think thats what it was). I plan on keeping this car for a while and want to break it in correctly. I hope I have been. I have only used the Ds mode for brief intervals of 1 or 2 minutes at low speed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies!
That's what makes this such a great forum and the MO a great car!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts