Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please correct me if I am wrong. The sales rep told me that the S on the shifter is sport mode. Is this true or is it second gear? Would anybody advise or disuade me from driving around town in this S gear? It keeps the revs up.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Sport mode.... not second gear as there isn't really a recond gear.

You can drive in S mode but you will suffer extra wear on the tranmission and engine (and your smile) and of course your gas mileage will drop.

I usually just it Ds when I have to slow down or for very quick acceleration once in a while.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Well, one reason you might not want to drive around town in S: you'll get about 10 mpg.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
phoneboy6-

Ds just changes the algorithm the CVT/engine uses to select the CVT ratio. The CVT runs in a "lower gear" and the engine revs are higher. However, the computer will adjust the ratio accordingly to prevent the engine from red-lining.

-njjoe

·
Registered
470 Posts
Gonzo said:

You can drive in S mode but you will suffer extra wear on the tranmission and engine (and your smile) and of course your gas mileage will drop.
With the S mode the car is running in a lower gear and higher engine RPM's. The lower gear should put less stress on the transmission and engine but not help the mileage at all.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The CVT is still doing the same amount work. It's components may be less stressed but they are rotating faster. Does this equate to more "wear and tear"? It is hard to say with any degree of certainty.

-njjoe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input. Looks like D is the best but once in a while S could be fun but I wont over do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts