Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I originally had my eyes set on an Infiniti FX but the cost of the options make a fully loaded FX35 about 8K more than a fully loaded Murano. I plan to get an SUV that I can take to the slopes, and I'm wondering on the reliability of the MO. I've read threads concerning about the reliability of the CVT and I'm wondering how reliable the MO will be. I've never owned a Nissan before, so I just want to hear from you MO owners out there. The price on Carsdirect for a fully loaded SL is very attractive @ about 35k. I'm thinking about test driving one, and the one thing I really like about the MO is that you can have a red interior. I'm thinking about a black exterior with the cabernet (red) interior. I was looking at the Highlander and 4runner but the Highlander seems underpowered and the 4runner is several thousand more for a fully loaded limited. I like to buy my cars fully loaded, and it seems like the MO has all the options I want at a reasonable price. Any advice appreciated.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I think the Mo is grand. The 05 I believe has the main problems ironed out. I drove the FX and I'm with you this has the goods and not the price. :D PS I love it so much I had both a 04 and a 05 and sold my G35 to get the MO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds reassuring that the quirks have been worked out. The great thing about the 05 models is that you can now get intellikey just like an infiniti, so pretty much it seems like you're paying more for the Infiniti name, but of course I understand that the MO is FWD based (Maxima), while the FX is RWD based (G35, 350Z), but it seems like the value and the power to negotiate a better price goes to the MO.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
You should prioritize your goals in getting the suv..

I plan to get an SUV that I can take to the slopes, and I'm wondering on the reliability of the MO
Murano is reliable. Switching from all european vehicles to Nissan really make me think twice on euro cars not so good realibility in comparison.

Yet, if you plan to bring your suv off road, climb steep slopes, decents the hills, and oh heck maybe join the rally paris dakkar competition, murano electronically controled awd may not be the right gear. Murano, rx330, infiniti fx, hilander, , pilot and acura mdx are crossoover vehicle. All uses awd that is inferior to Jeep's quadratec II or a low gear center locking differential like in vw touareg (off road option).

So, list out your reasons why you want to get the suv. Then rank them from most to less important. This will help you to make the decision to go MO or not. Good luck.:4:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Search "AWD"
Search "snow"
Search "wipers"
Search "vibration"
Search "brakes" or "rotors"
Search "rattles"

I wish I had done those searches before I purchased my '05.

JeffC

·
Registered
261 Posts
SO FAR SO GOOD

I have a 05 and it is great. We just got 12" of snow and the mo is great in the sno It is fun..

·
4,601 Posts
I have an '03 which I got in Jan '03 and no complaints. There's nothing I'd rather drive, for a vehicle that combines my requirements.

·
5,244 Posts
Murano is not SUV in traditional sense. it's off road capabilities are limited. So if you are planning to drive off road - go for something else. If your driving will be city/highway and occasional "light off-road " - Murano is OK.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
So far I like the Murano very much. I admit its not quite the "maxima of suvs" but its as close as it gets. The CVT is very smooth (and no major reliability problems have been reported) and the handling ranks at the top of the crossover segment. For driving up the slopes, you will have no problem with the AWD version (make sure you get the VDC, its a bargain). The engine and brakes are excellent.

All Murano models will not ride as smoothly as a Pilot or Highlander, so you are probably better off getting the slightly sportier SE model.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Not a bargain to me...

Ericl L: For driving up the slopes, you will have no problem with the AWD version (make sure you get the VDC, its a bargain).
I agree with Eric L , the VDC was a bargain.

But in IMHO, the vdc is a bargain IF I was looking to spend around $33Kish (plus tax, title etc $35k) for a murano. The VDC had to be have with the leather/bose and dynamic control package.
I wish the 05's will be given VDC as standard in base MO. Just like the rav4. All models (including base) have the traction control...Really2 a big wow factor.

When i was loking for a murano last time, I am looking to spend *only* around $30K max, on the road. That price can only get me into base AWD model, no leather and no dynamic package. $28,950 including title,fees registration, tax.
I dont like leather seat personally.
I still envy the VDCs though.

My mom and dad (who are kind of brandname and image concious) were really shock i am spending almost $30K for a Nissan. They said I should get a lexus or even a bmw for a bit more form that amount or even trade in my prev audi A4 for another A4. I told them, wait until they drive the murano, it is so smooth and feels like a million bucks. Yet, they still insisted I should go for the rx330 for $35K.... Even until today:8:

Back to sdaccord01's original post:
I think if you like your vehicle loaded, the murano is much better deal than the RX or x5 or volvo sc90. Those luxury brand suvs, when fully loaded, can run you $50K easy.
Of course, if brandname is important, a lexus or a bmw will give the most BLINK effect :blingblin

·
5,244 Posts
Sugar,

I know exactly what you mean. One of the memebrs of my very small family is like that.....:(

Cost me a lot of $$$$;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies. My parents own a Lexus RX330 and while it is a really nice luxury SUV, it's pretty darn expensive too. They got theirs fully loaded for around 43k before taxes with all the goodies (navi, mark levinson, DVD entertainment, etc.), and I priced out a fully loaded Murano on Carsdirect in my area and it gave me 35k without the DVD entertainment, which I don't really need. Is the only difference between the SE and SL model is that the SE has a sportier suspension (i.e. stiffer ride)?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stiff ride

I thought the SL was stiff enough, so I didn't want an SE personally.

Carsdirect is good, but sometimes you can get a better deal through a local dealer too. I did the fax attack method to find my best deal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got an '04 Murano SL AWD with everything but VDC, NAV and DVD.. so far it runs perfectly.. I too am a first time Nissan owner and had doubts about the quality/reliabilty of Nissan. I talked to several friend who had Nissan and well as ready the board thoroughly before getting my MO.

I heard tons of praises of the Murano from ppl, reviews, etc. and after taking a few test drives I was sold on the smoothness of the CVT, the features and the price. I originally didn't want to spend more that 30K for an SUV - ended up getting mines for $31K (sticker around $35K), and that's a excellent value for what I got.

I almost bought an X3 (always wanted an BMW, but what I really wanted was the X5, but that's $$$), but the MO is superior is features, price, size, performance, etc. Highlander less performance, bland styling.. 4Runner is nice - it's truck-based, but much better offroad.. MDX/Pilot also nice - MDX is more $$$, Pilot is bland.. Touregg is nice as well, but it costs more and weighs 1000 lbs more, so performance suffers unless you get a V8..

Take some test drives of the MO and good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm located in the SF Bay Area in California. I know it's going to be harder to find a better deal here because things are usually more expensive here compared to the rest of the country. I'm going for a test drive soon, because this SUV seems to have a lot going for it. Anyways, Carsdirect prices it in my area at about $200 or so above invoice. I'm hoping to get this car below invoice since there are quite a few dealers around me.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I bought my Murano from McKevitt Nissan in Berkeley, CA. Basically got the price over the phone (took about 10 minutes) and ended up paying $1150 under invoice (no rebates in June 2003). I would recommend that dealership without hesitation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, that sounds good Eric! Any recommendation on a particular person to talk to or just the dealership is that good in general?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I'll find my salesman's business card when I get home today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts