Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to Get Rid of the Orange Display!!

I was surfing the net and came upon this maxima forum that has figured out an innovative way of getting rid of the orange display. I would guess that this would work for the MO as well.

See link: http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Good find. Sounds like just bulb replacement only though. I wonder how they do the screen. I bet jaak knows! Well???? :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
So it's $595 installed???

Looks sweet.. the only thing I wish they could add is to light up the front door sills.. be cool if the "Murano" letter glowed when the door opens :2:

·
4,601 Posts
$595? Holy stuff, that's expensive for a few bucks worth of LED's and some time.

I'd do mine, if I owned it, but I don't. If I get ambitious I'll take mine apart just for the heck of it. I've done this same thing on a number of cell phones.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jaak said:
If I get ambitious I'll take mine apart just for the heck of it. I've done this same thing on a number of cell phones.
The bulbs are easy. What I want to know is how you can change the color of the display. Any pointers jaak?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zebelkhan,

I was thinking the same thing. I would imagine, if you take apart the display screen (ouch...especially if you break it) then you would find some orange/amber lights that can be swapped out. It may require soldering.

Living so close, I may decide to do this mod. Although, it would have to go at the bottom of my currently lengthy mod wish list.

Notice that you can get this mod in other colors: Blue, Red, Green, White, and Purple.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Tell me what to do. I already have mine out of its case! I had to do it in order to fit it in its new location....:4:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Z,

I'm no expert on this topic. I was guessing here.

I think Jaak is the expert on this topic.

·
4,601 Posts
I need to connect my logic analyser to mine to capture the data to the display during start up, and I hope to do this this weekend. So while I'm at it, I'll take a look at where the LEDs are and what size.

The black plastic cover on the back of the display, is just held in by little tabs. Once you remove this, you see:

Where the white ribbon cable attaches on the left, can be released. Part of the black connector is pushed in to compress the end of the cable. You can release this by gently pulling up on the edge of it, either side. It will come up a bit, but not out, and then you can pull out the ribbon cable and remove the screws holding in the circuit board. This board is the one that takes the data sent to the display unit and formats into the bits to turn on and off each segment or indicator in the display itself.

The next step is to unscrew the metal case from the display. There's a black plastic cover on the front of the display, that also has little tabs that hold it in place. Make a note of which way it's on, so you put it back on the right way around. It will fit upside down, but then the clear opening on the front will be a little off in position.

Once you have the display out of all this, it will look like this.

The next step, which I have yet to do, because I had no need to, is to straighten out the metal tabs that hold the display in place, and then being extremely, did I say extremely, careful, lift the PC board from the carrier, ensuring the connector to the LCD itself is not stressed or damaged in any way. Damage that, and you just trashed your display. I expect there are surface mount LEDs on the other side,but I've not taken mine apart to see where, how many and what size.

Yet.

One note about this whole process... You must do this in an environment that is low static. Don't do it on a plastic surface, try not to drag your feet across the carpet before doing this, don't play with your Van der Graf generator or Tesla coil, immediately before and try to handle the circuit boards by the mounting points (screw holes, tab pads) when you first touch it each time.

Static electricity can cook a part and you'll never know it happened. Well, until you try to use it again.

·
4,601 Posts
I just thought of something funny...

I mentioned I've done this with a number of cell phones. I've tried red leds, blue leds, green were often in there already, white leds and orange leds.

The red ones were terrible at making the display readable. The blue ones look cool, but again, the contrast could have been better. However there are whiter blues that might work better. But my favourite mod was to put in.... You got it. Orange. Always had the best contrast!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jaak,

You are a tease! You showed us everything with the exception of flipping the screen board.

Come on - just take it out and flip it. You are practically there.

:eek: Oops, then again...we don't want you to trash the thing before you attempt to capture the data.

Please, please, please, keep us updated. :D

·
Registered
781 Posts
Amber (orange) and green are the easiest to read against black.

·
4,601 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
Amber (orange) and green are the easiest to read against black.
Hence all those early Green and Amber computer monitors...

Yeah, I took those pictures a couple of weeks back, when I was looking at the electronics, so I had no desire at that point to go the one more step.

But I'll likely do it this weekend, just cause I've been this way since childhood.

Lots of kids could take stuff apart. I'd put it together and it would still work. Sometimes, even better.

;)

·
4,601 Posts
The display is orange because of 18 LED's. These can be replaced with any colour LED you like, to make the display, any colour you like...

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
How? Well I'll look up a replacement for those that feel ambitious. Don't do this, unless you have experience with electronics and can solder surface mount parts.

When you get the display apart to this stage, you have to straighten out all the bent tabs to take off the metal shell.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Like this...

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Be extremely careful, and you can remove the metal shell. Do not put your fingers on the face of the display, and I suggest you do this on a table with a cloth underneath.

The white plastic is sandwiched between the display and the PC board, with a flexible ribbon cable between them. Gently lift the display off the front, and then the PC board can be taken off the back. It may be easiest to flip the display up and off, and then lift the white plastic part off the PCB. There is a tab in the middle that will try to lock the PCB on to it, and a couple of guide pins, plus the LED's fit precisely into the the plastic.

Once unwrapped, it will look like this...

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Be careful as behind the display, in the white plastic carrier are two other parts for diffusing the light.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
So, depending on the LED's, it might cost you anywhere from 4 to 20 bucks worth of parts, and some time.

$595? That's some pretty good profit there. I'd do it for half that. Installed.

·
4,601 Posts
Now to go do what I really took the display out for... Connect it to my logic analyser!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts