Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......Alright, this is a minor complaint, and almost the only one I've found so far in my brand new MO that I am just LOVING but....

A brief search on this only showed that someone suggested putting a piece of frosted tape on the guage to soften the retina cinging beam of green light that is the Cruise Indicator.

Has anyone else found another resolution for this tiny minor issue? Dimming the dash controls doesn't affect it (worse actually since everything else fades while it gets more prominent)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
sobamanismo-

From what I understand there is not much you can do about the annoyingly-bright Cruise light. If you are really handy (and daring) it may be possible to take out the instrument panel and replace the lamp(s).

-njjoe

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks njjoe, I sort of figured that was the concensus. Long ago I might have been willing to go to that much effort for a tiny mod but I doubt I'll go that far these days.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh heh, I suppose that's definately A way to go :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I'd say frosted tape is the best solution for now. I actually find that making the instruments as bright as possible helps the eyes adjust to other bright lights on the dash on really dark nights, like the signal lights, and cruise, etc...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Eric L. said:
I'd say frosted tape is the best solution for now. I actually find that making the instruments as bright as possible helps the eyes adjust to other bright lights on the dash on really dark nights, like the signal lights, and cruise, etc...
Don't you find that hurts your night vision? I like to dim the dash lights to just one level above the dimmist on really dark nights when I'm the ooonnnnlllyyy one on the highway.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Absolutely Gonzo.

You want your pupils to be as wide as they can be for best night vision.

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I, too, am with Gonzo. When traveling on unlighted, divided highways at night I will reduce the instrument and display lighting a "notch" or two to improve my night-vision. It definitely helps.

I am always amazed at drivers who allow passengers to turn on dome lights at night so they can read in the car. That will kill you night-vision for sure.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:

Don't you find that hurts your night vision? I like to dim the dash lights to just one level above the dimmist on really dark nights when I'm the ooonnnnlllyyy one on the highway.
Theoretically, yes, but I guess it doesn't bother me too much. Having HID headlamps helps tremendously.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Where I live in NJ using cruise control is just impossible. Way too much traffic. I have not even tested or tried any cruise control in my vehicles for the last 10 years.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I wish we could rig up the MO so reg headlights are on with hi beams.... HAHAHAH something that HID couldn't do. Bwawawahahahahaha!!!!!!:p

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
I wish we could rig up the MO so reg headlights are on with hi beams.... HAHAHAH something that HID couldn't do. Bwawawahahahahaha!!!!!!:p
I know the halogen headlight MO's have dual filament bulbs (instead of one bulb for lo and one bulb for hi), and its not unheard of for people to rig up the system to run both filaments simultaneously - on Fords at least this is what happens when you "flash to pass" by pulling the signal lever back. This is opposed to just pushing the signal stalk forward to engage permanent highbeams, where only the "high" filament is engaged. Obviously though, not the smartest idea to burn both filaments at once, since most bulbs (much less the vehicle wires) are not designed for that.

Highbeam on HID MOs use a shutter. When lowbeam is on, the shuttle blocks the upper range of the beam, causing a sharp cutoff on the road. Highbeam on, the shutter moves out of the way, and you can see the headlights on the treetops.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eric L. said:
Highbeam on HID MOs use a shutter. When lowbeam is on, the shuttle blocks the upper range of the beam, causing a sharp cutoff on the road. Highbeam on, the shutter moves out of the way, and you can see the headlights on the treetops.
Are you sure about this? That sharp cutoff is a factor of the projector beam headlamp . In my past experience those headlamp types tend to have that sharp line no matter what manner of light source is used.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
sobamanismo said:

Are you sure about this? That sharp cutoff is a factor of the projector beam headlamp . In my past experience those headlamp types tend to have that sharp line no matter what manner of light source is used.
I'm sure the projector unit focuses the light more than a reflector headlamp, but in the Murano's case there isn't a separate highbeam bulb, so the only difference between low and high is a shutter behind the projector lens. This is how Nissan can call it a "bi-xenon" unit even though technically there is only one bulb.

A lot of other cars use a separate halogen bulb for high beams because they come on more quickly so you can flash your lights. I guess the shutter on HID MO's moves just as quickly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man....now I'm going to have to go outside and blind myself to see this in action :D

(every other car I've had w/ projectors had a seperate bulb for the highs)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
This is a direct quote from the 2005 Service Manual - If voltage is applied to a high beam solenoid, the bulb shade will move, even a xenon headlamp bulb comes out, and a high beam and a low beam are changed.. :confused: _:8: What are they talking about? This is supposed to be an official service document?!?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:
This is a direct quote from the 2005 Service Manual - If voltage is applied to a high beam solenoid, the bulb shade will move, even a xenon headlamp bulb comes out, and a high beam and a low beam are changed.. :confused: _:8: What are they talking about? This is supposed to be an official service document?!?

-njjoe
LOL!!!!! :D :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts