Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Krik Kerkorian wants GM to explore partnership with Nissan/Renault to "realize substantial synergies and cost savings".

Sketched out in a Money magazine article.

Read.
Discuss.
Wring hands.
Gnash teeth (if you are a Chevy/Caddy/Pony-ack/Hummer, SAAB, etc. fan).

Keep in mind that GM is in trouble as was Nissan when assimilated by, I mean, partnered with Renault.

·
5,244 Posts
Nothing smart or exciting about it. Typical BS about cost slashing. There is no mention about:

- respect for customer
- quality new products that people actually want to buy
- good management and leadership

Cost optimization, not cost cutting are just results of the above. It is pity that bean counters cannot see beyond the cost. Get a good product on the market and buyers will come.
In recent years I drove many GM rental cars. And I am always “amazed” how crapy they are.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Kris said:
Get a good product on the market and buyers will come.
In recent years I drove many GM rental cars. And I am always “amazed” how crapy they are.

Agree on both points. Good product with good service.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"And I am always “amazed” how crapy they are."

And I am amazed at how crappy my Murano has been.
I have NEVER had had a car that has been to the dealer as much as this one. Never.
Yet ANOTHER CD player installed this week.

As to the "merger".......won't happen.
What's in it for Renault?

Homer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nissan managment isn't any better than GM's. Look what happened when Carlos Ghosn forced Nissan NA to move to Nashville -- many good people just quit.

I own a Murano, but I'm looking forward to the day when I can buy a nice Cadillac CTS or Corvette.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Dumb Idea

:(

·
5,244 Posts
It always come back to:
- leadership
- right people
- product

Unfortunately GM lacks most of them.....

PS. Before buying Murano I really tried hard to buy an American car......no luck
:(

·
Registered
191 Posts
hfelknor said:
"And I am always “amazed” how crapy they are."

And I am amazed at how crappy my Murano has been.
I have NEVER had had a car that has been to the dealer as much as this one. Never.
Yet ANOTHER CD player installed this week.

As to the "merger".......won't happen.
What's in it for Renault?

Homer
Every category of vehicle has its lemon...Mo is no different.

The difference is that Nissan is pretty willing to fix the issues. Unlike GM (cough - crappy head gasket - cough). Ya, your Mo might have been in the shop for various reasons - but GM's are typically in for those reasons and their own wealth of their own.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think this whole idea is a good one.

CG in charge would be the best thing that has ever happened to GM - and they need something to happen.

Can you imagine a Nissan spin on some GM IP's?

I remember hearing Carlos stating at the last (I think it was at least) auto show that his largest competitor (or something along those lines) was Saturn....

I think w/ his direction, knack for cutting through HO politics, etc would put GM back on the road map!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Despite what Rick Wagoneer thinks, I'm sure most on the GM Board would love to see Carlos Ghosn come in and shake things up to turn the company around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eric L. said:
Despite what Rick Wagoneer thinks, I'm sure most on the GM Board would love to see Carlos Ghosn come in and shake things up to turn the company around.
Everyone keeps praising CG, but (as I mentioned earlier) are you aware of the bungled move of Nissan NA headquarters to Nashville? The guy's an idiot. Take a look at the latest "rant" on http://www.autoextremist.com.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
buttfish77 said:

Everyone keeps praising CG, but (as I mentioned earlier) are you aware of the bungled move of Nissan NA headquarters to Nashville? The guy's an idiot. Take a look at the latest "rant" on http://www.autoextremist.com.
I'm not sure how the move to Nashville can be considered a bungled move since it hasn't even happened yet. I think CG was expecting a 60% retention rate of the management staff, and the actual outcome was around a 50% retention. Thats not too far off I think.

Regardless of the good or not-so-good intentions of Kerkorkian or York, I think Ghosn has made Nissan into a more efficient company with a competitive lineup of vehicles. Remember Nissan from 1999, at the brink of bankruptcy?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Remember, folks, this isn't the first partnership deal between Nissan and GM. Remember whence came the Saturn?

<corporate mindset>
As far as the whiny, customer-related worries go, just look at the stock price!
As soon as this partnership was just talked about, GM's stock got a healthy little bump. That oughta please the stockholders and whet their appetites for more!

Product quality? Customer service? Wha?

What REALLY counts is getting that stock price up and pleasing the stockholders! That's how the execs get their multi-megabuck bonuses.

Looks to me like a partnership is a wonderful idea for the stockholders!
</corporate mindset>

And that's what it's all about, kiddies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts