Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
08 G37S, Prev MO owner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting up to the 32k mile mark & it's almost time to get new tires. From reading all the posts here (thanks!) I think I'm gonna take the plunge on the Geolandar H/T-S's. Tire Rack so far has them at $116 each. What I need to know is where in the South Florida area (Palm Beach Co.) where I can get these installed.

I called one of the recommended shops off of the Tire Rack website, & they aren't even sure they can mount them! Also they wanted $15 per tire mounted, $18 per tire balancing. Is $132 par for the course just to get them put on?

BTW Sears wanted $830 complete!! That's just plain hilarious.. :4:

Ryan

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Much higher that Les Schwab would charge in the Pacific NW. Usually about $22 per on alloy wheels.What is this "They didn't know if they could mount them"???

·
5,244 Posts
My choices:

1. Kumho through Kauffman Tires - sppr. $620 fitted.
2 Yokohama through Discount Tire. Price almost the same.

You may want to check link: tires

Good luck and let us know the result. I have 26k miles and will have to get something new at 20k.....

·
08 G37S, Prev MO owner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess their equipment can only do certain types of 18 inch wheels.. They said they'd have to look at my wheels first.

I've heard alot of good things about Discount, however there's no Discount Tire in FL :(

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Plenty of them here in AZ, Good Tire selection, Good rim selection. Good Prices, Bad Balancing. Stick weights on top of each other, Mix clip on and stick on weights, Use clip on weights with alloy wheels, etc. Working too fast, Quality has dropped over the years.

·
5,244 Posts
GripperDon said:
Plenty of them here in AZ, Good Tire selection, Good rim selection. Good Prices, Bad Balancing. Stick weights on top of each other, Mix clip on and stick on weights, Use clip on weights with alloy wheels, etc. Working too fast, Quality has dropped over the years.
This is bad news. But I think we, consumers created a "discount" market. We expect very low prices on both product and services and high quality.

Balancing is a relatively simple task given the modern balancing equipment. However, if it is done by an untrained, $10/hr "tech"...........you know the rest. Whoever is performing this service needs to understand what is behind and what are the consequences.......

I had 4 tires mounted on my previous car by Kauffman Tire. First thing I noticed was lack of a balancing weight on one of the wheels so I asked about it. I was assured ALL WHEELS were balanced. Next day I drove a few hundred miles and you guessed it – I had terrible vibration. Even worse, it was a front tire. Next weeked I went back and the sales rep pointed out to the wheel and said “you lost balkancing weight”………it really ticked me off………anyway, they made me wait 4 hrs to have this wheel balanced. I made sure that everybody in the waiting room knew what type of service they provided. Do you think they cared? Not at all. And I might use them again……….Eh life……..
:3:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
SIKEFLA

Where did you get the idea that Discount tire is not in Florida?

Now I agree that they are not in SOUTH fl, but they are in Orlando.
and Jax, Daytona and Tallahassee too.

So have them shipped to one of the Orlando stores and drive up OR

Have them shipped to your Nissan Dealer and have them mount them.

If you have stock Nissan Wheels, anybody with a Bear or a Hunter machine (Less than 10 years old) can mount them.
The Hunter 9700 is the top of the line in that business. Coupled with a good tech, you can achieve balance that was never possible before. This is a must on oversize wheels like Murano uses.
But this is a very expensive machine. I would not necessarily expect a dealer to have this machine.

Homer

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I have tried to make a difference, made call to the store, sent letters to the balancing machine supplier. Did I get a call no, do they care ?. Tooo much business, too much press for profit from the average customer that does not know good service when they get it. Customer inteface staff nice, techs, either untrained or on comission or something all craftmanship is gone, we live in a time of junk service. GRIP

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
To any decent tire/wheel shop, 18" wheels are small! Today they are pushing 20, 22, 24, and even 26"wheels. Anyone who can't handle an 18 doesn't deserve any consideration for MY business!

·
08 G37S, Prev MO owner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called my dealer (Maroone of Delray). $15.99 mounted & balanced per tire... Shoulda called them first.. :p

I ordered the Yokos today ($116 each from Tire Rack).. Will post some pics once I get them on!

·
08 G37S, Prev MO owner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got em!

I finally got the Geolandars mounted.. It's still too soon to say how they ride compared to the Eagles, however in a word so far.. BETTER!! I'll find out for sure when I take a trek up from Palm Beach County up to Panama City tomorrow morning.. Here's some pics!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Do you have a picture of the wheel turned out so we can see the tread and tread width relative to the stock wheel?

·
5,244 Posts
How do they ride as compare to OEM's.

Any noticable difference?

·
08 G37S, Prev MO owner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
5000 Miles later...

So far no issues with the Yokos. So far my experience has been okay. Haven't been able to squeal 'em like I used to with the OEM's. However since I've had them mounted I have moved from the 80-100 mph avg I95/Turnpike speeds of SE Florida to the much slower pace of the panhandle. At least my MPG has improved!
:rolleyes:

The ride does seem to be more quiet than the OEMs. Unfortunatley haven't had the opporitunity to light them up around here. One small squeak will guarantee a visit from the one of the "good 'ol boys" in your rearview mirror!

So overall.. Better than OEM's? I think so, however nothing to brag about. It's hard to compare when your driving habits have been changed. Panama City is almost 50 miles away from a major interstate, so it's tough to get up to speed.

Fortunatley for me I'm not experiencing the shimmy & shake that I'm learning this brand has a reputation for. We'll see what happens after the first tire rotation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts