Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I know this post is going to get me booted from this form but I need to speak my mind. You folks all have great cars I know because I have one too. But when I see you people complain about little noises and rattles I get steamed. You seem to forget that cars are living things made up of moving parts and no mater how well they are built it is not a perfect world and things are going to make some noise live with it. Be thankful that you didn't buy your car 20 years ago when the workers left cans in the rocker panels or in the doors. Hell be thankful in todays economy you can aford to spend 32,000 plus on a new car now stop your complaining and looking for things to complain about. Go out and enjoy your cars.:3: :3:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Now why would that comment get you booted? Seemed fine to me. I was lucky with rattles with my MO as it doesn't have any (yet). Because of my past car history, it probably wouldn't even bother me if it did. I think people are just looking for something more out o a new car sometimes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Emtee,

I don't think you will get booted for your comments, anymore than I hope I will not for mine.

I really admire your "glass half full" perspective. I am usually this way, but when you spend what I think is a lot of $$$ (30K +) for a car, it should NOT have these kinds of problems. But if they do, I'm reasonable - they should be rectified to my satisfaction.

I agree the cars are built (at least partially) by humans and these little problems can occur. HOWEVER, when the dealer can't resolve the noise issues after three attempts, what do YOU think should happen?? Maybe a noise "rebate"??? Hmmm - good idea!

I love my Murano. I do not love the Haunted House creaks, ticks , and moans.

Just my .02

Mark Linder

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
rofl

You get "steamed" when someone complains about rattles.

Some People get "steamed" when their $35k car rattles.

Everyones different.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I found this great car, for which only major complaints are some rattles and creaks.

I have a miniscule enmating from left rear and only if I hit a major bump. I can't complain.

Coming from an Audi, when I was looking for the car, I wanted the ride to be little stiffer, comparing SE and SL, I found SE to be enougt tight. I think Nissan is taking a little europeon flair, after getting owned by Renault.

As cars have stiiffer, suspensions, they will have some more tendencies towards rattles, may be owners of German cars can testify to my theory.

I bet you wont have a rattle in a Cadillac if you loosened all the windows on it, cause its cushy ride.

I am not justifying Nissan here, if you have a serious rattle, go and rattle the dealership to get their act straight.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I think ur right on top of it CVee. Da stiffer, da more prone to rattles.
Annnnd, the quieter, the more you can hear them.

I owned a lumina van once made of fiberglass--wanna talk about rattles! Holy Moly, it sounded like it was fallin apart! But it did drive good and last a long long time.

After readin here about the rattles, my head swiveled around each time I have heard something....each time so far (knock on wood) it has been something I put in the car like the 25 or so CD thin cases in my drivers door pocket. I ended up putting a hand towel in my left rear storage for my sundries that were rattlin around.
But I do know the plastic on plastic clicks and pops from other cars, and now that I have read the valiant efforts of the determined noise silencers on this forum, I am armed baby, I'll knock them out one by one.

:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interestingly, Automobile Mag finished their 4 seasons test of an FX45 and reported in the last issue. They cited a harsh ride, but also cited no squeaks or rattles after 1 year and 30k + miles. So, stiff ride does not have to equal rattles. Of course there is variation from car to car. My MO (SL), for example, has no rattles after 12k mi.

Another variable is how the vehicle is driven. Based on posts in this forum, it is clear that some members enjoy 'spirited' driving of their Muranos. At the other end of the spectrum, my MO has never had the gas pedal pressed any harder than the traffic situation requires. I don't believe it has ever been at WOT. It has certainly never been near it's lateral acceleration limit. It's just not my wife's style, and I just don't see the point, having a true high performance SUV for getting my personal YaYa's out. This could be another reason for my quiet MO interior.

In an recent editorial, Automobile also ranted about the whimsical styling but poor quality of the Quest interior, and concluded that this reflected the influence of Renault, and pondered if Nissan can survive having their quality continue to take a turn to the French. I think we benefit from an interior with a little less of the French connection.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Emtee said:
Hi Folks,
I know this post is going to get me booted from this form but I need to speak my mind. You folks all have great cars I know because I have one too. But when I see you people complain about little noises and rattles I get steamed. You seem to forget that cars are living things made up of moving parts and no mater how well they are built it is not a perfect world and things are going to make some noise live with it. Be thankful that you didn't buy your car 20 years ago when the workers left cans in the rocker panels or in the doors. Hell be thankful in todays economy you can aford to spend 32,000 plus on a new car now stop your complaining and looking for things to complain about. Go out and enjoy your cars.:3: :3:
I agree. If the rattles bother you turn UP the stereo!!! Enjoy your vehicle!!!!

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Emtee: no I don't think you should be booted, everyone is entitled to thier opinion.

Now.. in terms of what I do have an objection to..

"Hell be thankful in todays economy you can aford to spend 32,000 plus on a new car now stop your complaining and looking for things to complain about"

I take strong objection to this.. 1) you don't know everyone situation with regards to thier financial sitation, so please don't assume everyone can "afford" to just go out and buy one.. some people have saved up a lot of money to get thier "dream" car, and when it does not live up to what they have been sold, then they have every right to complain..

also. why should anyone just "accept" the way the vehicle is.. if that was the way the world operated, then there would be now new inventions, or improvements.. complaints are what cause Nissan to take notice and improve thier products.

There is no statements (that I can see) the say anyone is NOT enjoying thier vehicles, they are.. they just want to enjoy it more..

.. also.. I've experienced a rattle problem,. and to be honest it drove me completly nuts,.. enough that I was going to sell the vehicle.. (it was that bad).. I found out what the problem was, and fixed it myself.. a "rattle" is not just a minor problem (depends on the location, volume etc..) please don't assume they are just *****ing and complaining.. if Nissan (and they have) decided that it was a serious enough proble, then they issue a TSB (like they have).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Complaining.

These vehicles meet ALL expectations....quit complaining. If this keeps up on this form I may have to go out and buy a FX45... those guys are happy!!!:2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

Also, I agree that Nissan can improve based on feedback, but seriously, there are people here dismantling thier truck for the craziest of reasons. When the dealer sees such stuff in Canada they just cancel your warranty.

I am one of the first MO buyers on this form. I have the SE black on black, loaded with ALL options plus side rails and front/rear bars. The minor ticks and noises are nominal...and like I said turn up the tunes!!!!:1:

·
Registered
78 Posts
complaining

Oh yeah....my MO cost 48, 500$ Canadian! If you figure out income vs vehicle cost between USA and Canada this truck cost me a helluv alot more that my US counterparts.

No complaints!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Re: Complaining.

pat said:
but seriously, there are people here dismantling thier truck for the craziest of reasons.
but thats half the fun... rip it apart to see how it works.. In some what Nissan even encourages this (why do you think they sell you the FULL service manual, I don't see major manufacturers doing this)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: complaining

pat said:
I agree. If the rattles bother you turn UP the stereo!!! Enjoy your vehicle!!!!

Oh yeah....my MO cost 48, 500$ Canadian! If you figure out income vs vehicle cost between USA and Canada this truck cost me a helluv alot more that my US counterparts.

No complaints!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Interesting, pat. only a few months back ( the same day as your first post to this forum) you posted:

(see http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=567)

damn rattles :mad:
I own a new 03 Murano SE loaded. I have also encountered various rattles in the vehicle. All window rattle and when the stereo is cranked there are numerous vibration rattles heard from the door post areas on both sides of the vehicle. One other rattle I've heard is from the rear suspension area. When both rear tires encounter a "bump" simultaneously at speeds above 15 miles/hour I have a rattle similar to a loose heat plate. I've brought this to the dealer twice and they cannot identify the problem.
END QUOTE

Change of heart? or plain hypocracy?

·
Registered
78 Posts
rattles

Quite true...but I posted ...got response...went to dealer....fixed...end of it!!!!!

Others tend to "LOOK" for new things to complain about.

Good research there though!:eek: :eek: :eek:

And if they encourage tear downs of the vehicle....doubtful...there will be a whole new complaint post about voided warranties!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Warranty

I just spoke with infinity/nissan in Oakville Ontario. If you tear down your vehicle you will encounter warranty problems and quite possible a voided warranty.

Right out of the dealers mouth!!!!

Go figure!

:D :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fortunately, we in the US have the Magnuson-Moss act, which places the burden of proof on the dealer to show that the owner's actions/modifications directly resulted in the warrantee claim which the dealer is trying to deny. It specifically prevents denial of claims due to DIY maintenence and repair, as long as said DIY work did not directly cause the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The Magnussen Moss act relates to the use of aftermarket replacement parts instead of OEM parts. I believe the aftermarket part has to be "equivalent" to the OEM part. In other words, if you use a Purolator oil filter instead of a Nissan oil filter, that will not void the warranty if suddenly your engine sludges up. However, if you add stiffer lowering springs, and you bounce all the trim loose in the vehicle, then that is not covered under warranty. A lot of people try to use the Magnussen Moss act as an excuse to install PERFORMANCE aftermarket parts - sorry, but a smart dealer has every right to void warranty on components that are affected by a performance modified part. For example, if you install a cold air intake which takes air from the fender well or lower bumper area, and your car sucks up water as you drive through a puddle, any damage your engine might encounter is no longer covered under warranty.

Conversely, it is also true that only related components can be voided. The dealer cannot say your cold air intake affected say, your power seat not working correctly.

Hope that clears up this vague law!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Direct quote from the Magnuson-Moss act:
“(c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if – (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.” (42 U.S.C. 2303(C))

Bold font on "or service" is mine. These 2 words are what gives you the right to use Jiffy lube to change your oil, or to do any maintenence or repair yourself... as long as your "service" does not directly cause a problem which you then try to claim under warrantee. This "service", or disassembly/re-assembly of any part of your Murano, is the point of discussion in this thread.

example:
Now, if you decide to do service which IS covered by warrantee "(other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty)" like, say, fixing a warped rotor.... botching that service (turning the rotor too thin, beyond service limits) MIGHT qualify for a waiver. But, if you take your Murano apart to, say, install a SAT radio (something NOT included for free in the warrantee), the dealer could NOT use your self installed SAT to deny coverage for rattles... unless you broke the tabs off the trim that is causing the rattles.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Re: rattles

Then why would they sell the full service manuals other then to promote the users to know about thier vehicles. THey have thier own, dealer channels, (and repair shops) why then would they put the whole manuals on the net to download (with a cost??)

they want the end consumer to be more empowered with thier vehicle. plus it sames them time at the service bay.. the buyer can say "hey I followed the diagnostics steps in the service manual, and it says the XXX needs to be replaced.." this saves them costly diagnostic time, and they get it for free by letting the end consumer do it.

pat said:
Quite true...but I posted ...got response...went to dealer....fixed...end of it!!!!!

Others tend to "LOOK" for new things to complain about.

Good research there though!:eek: :eek: :eek:

And if they encourage tear downs of the vehicle....doubtful...there will be a whole new complaint post about voided warranties!!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Re: rattles

darrylburke said:
Then why would they sell the full service manuals other then to promote the users to know about thier vehicles. THey have thier own, dealer channels, (and repair shops) why then would they put the whole manuals on the net to download (with a cost??)

they want the end consumer to be more empowered with thier vehicle. plus it sames them time at the service bay.. the buyer can say "hey I followed the diagnostics steps in the service manual, and it says the XXX needs to be replaced.." this saves them costly diagnostic time, and they get it for free by letting the end consumer do it.

Respectfully, I do not believe Nissan NA has any intentions to empower the consumer in providing the shop manuals for purchase, with the goal of saving their technicians diagnostic time. If anything, I have found that most technicians tend to be resistant the customer offering any sort of technical advice (their attitude is usually "hey I have training for this, you don't). The irony is that those of us equipped with shop manuals or advice from this bbs know more about the problem than the clueless tech. Now, I have met a few nice Nissan techs who appreciate what you have to say...ok maybe they tolerate what you have to say, but then they go through the whole standard diagnostic procedure anyways, since I don't think its standard practice to go by the customer's word alone.

That's just my experience with the area. I just don't think its smart business to let the customer repair their own vehicle when you can bring it into the dealer for them to gouge your wallet.

That said, I do encourage people to purchase the shop manual. It contains a wealth of information, and even if you know nothing about cars, you will by the time you flip through the pages.

Enjoy the ride everyone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts