Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........ on yourself, on car or on your driveway...

some of you might already have this or heard about this.... its called fomoto valve.

More Here

i think its pretty cool solution to all the messes ,.... and at 25 bucks its one time investment.....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Interesting part, would probably make changing oil easier, but I wolud worry if something hit it and damage it.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Nice for my boat engines. (the other ride)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I have a fumoto valve. Works as advertised! I first heard of this from the WRX crowd.

I did not get the one with the nipple attachment for the drain tube, but the MO has plenty of clearance for it, so I recommend you get it.

For those worried about damage, ZERO clearance issues with the fumoto valve (since the drain plug hole isn't quite on the bottom, the valve doesn't stick far below, if even at all, the bottom of the pan). The front suspension member is easily a couple inches lower than the bottom of the fumoto valve.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nice little gadget.

I've seen similar valves on boats, where in some I/O installations there is little room to swing a wrench.

It would be ideal for the MO, since it would be facing rearward and protected by the oil pan.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L. said:
I have a fumoto valve. Works as advertised!
Eric,

I assume the lever is spring-loaded, with the spring keeping it pushed down into the detent position. Yes?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:

Eric,

I assume the lever is spring-loaded, with the spring keeping it pushed down into the detent position. Yes?

-njjoe
Yep, like the website says. It is both spring loaded and on the "closed" position, you can push the lever down into a detent to "lock" it. There is resistance turning the lever as well, so even if it became "unlocked" for whatever reason, its virtually impossible to turn the lever (to open the valve) by accident.

I was skeptical about this product too, until I bought one and tried it out!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
This is very cool. I'm going to get me a couple! Wife's car and MO take the exact same size. Just need to check her clearance and position to see if I want the nipple on hers.

Awesome find!

What do you think: Order direct from fumoto or is there another location I could get it cheaper?

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Of course, this doesn't solve the messiest problem of changing the oil. I will still be dripping oil all over the place when I unscrew the oil filter...

Anyone find a good solution to that one yet?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Corin said:
This is very cool. I'm going to get me a couple! Wife's car and MO take the exact same size. Just need to check her clearance and position to see if I want the nipple on hers.

Awesome find!

What do you think: Order direct from fumoto or is there another location I could get it cheaper?
I googled the WRX forums to look for fumoto discount codes, and ended up getting 15 or 20% off my order. The codes are changed every few months, but there should be a current one out there. If you cannot find one, maybe we can get a special deal setup for this forum if you can round up get enough buyers.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Corin said:
Of course, this doesn't solve the messiest problem of changing the oil. I will still be dripping oil all over the place when I unscrew the oil filter...

Corin
I have always changed my filter out first so that the cool oil would be the first out and the oil collection pan would be empty. This has worked for quite well for me as it minimized the oil that could be spilled.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Do you mean to say that you actually put your oilpan under the filter to catch the drips? Can you fit it between the struts (or frame, or whatever it is there)? Mine certainly won't fit. I'm trying to devise some plastic sheet or something that will divert the dripping oil around the strut and into the pan, but have yet to find a good solution.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Wonder If

someone make a remote mounting kit for a oil filter. One that would attach one end to the present filter location and the other to a filter mount that would be more convient. I thought such a thing was shown on the forum somewhere before.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Corin said:
Do you mean to say that you actually put your oilpan under the filter to catch the drips? Can you fit it between the struts (or frame, or whatever it is there)? Mine certainly won't fit. I'm trying to devise some plastic sheet or something that will divert the dripping oil around the strut and into the pan, but have yet to find a good solution.
Corin
Yes I put my oil collection pan under the filter to catch the drips, then i screw on a new filter and wipe up the small amount of oil that has dripped on to the frame below it. I use the OEM filter and the internal check valve holds back a lot of oil but not all of it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You can get an adapter here.

And an actual filter relocation kit can be found here (go to the bottom of the page and search for "oil filter relocation").

4X4 has single- and double-filter units.

The "interesting" part would be seeing if there is enough clearance for the hoses, routing the hoses, and mounting the filter brackets.

You'll still get some spillage when removing the filter. Maybe even more, depending upon how much of the hoses are above the filter bracket. So you'd need to mount the filter bracket somewhere where you can catch a bit more oil.
This is from experience: I had an S10 Blazer with a remote oil filter mounted on the driver-side wheel well. Had to use the bottom half of a washer fluid jug to catch the oil when I changed the filter.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I had an MGB with a remote-mounted oil filter. The dealer touted it as a time-saving feature that would let me easily and cleanly change the filter. I remember thinking it was a neat feature.

However, it was during the first oil change that I realized the oil filter was mounted with the screw-on opening facing the bottom. So as I unscrewed the filter the oil would run down over everything. Nice design, poor execution.

-njjoe

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yep, that's the way mine was mounted. Just loosen the filter and watch the oil cascade down the perimeter!

I always thought that it would be better if the bracket was canted a bit so the oil would dribble down one side and would be easier to contain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Corin said:

My low-tech solution is to use a flat-bottom, small soup bowl. If you find the right size, it will sit on the control arm (or whatever you call it) right below the filter.

·
Registered
470 Posts
gang said:

My low-tech solution is to use a flat-bottom, small soup bowl. If you find the right size, it will sit on the control arm (or whatever you call it) right below the filter.
I would think you would drain the oilpan first to mimimize the amount of hot oil around the filter. Then use a small plastic garbage bag to surround the filter as you remove it catching the filter and dripping oil. Just an idea, I haven't done it myself.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts