Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this forum and I think that I'm the first one to experience an actual "gotta get the jack out flat tire".

I was rolling down one of our fine interstates (79) when I heard something small rattle it's way under the car. A quick look in the rear view revealed nothing, whatever it was, it was tiny.

A few miles later I heard the unfamiliar thump, thump, thump. Unfortunately an old crappy van was directly in front of me in the exit lane and I *mistakenly* assumed the sound was coming from that heap.

I slowed down to exit and the "thumps" changed their tune accordingly. I pulled right over.

There she was, the left front was down to fumes.

I backed in a few feet to tuck myself as far from traffic as I could. Traffic was flying by, but I was in a pretty good spot.

The good news is that the jack and lug wrench performed flawlessly. (Once I found them)

From finding the tools, to back on the road it only took 8 minutes. You read that right, 8 minutes. Keep in mind I haven't changed a tire by the roadside in years. And I didn't even know where the jacking supplies were located. (hint: right rear cargo hole)

The bad news is, the tire is shot. I must have ridden it flat a tad longer than she could stand.

Until my tire shop gets the replacement tomorrow, I'm forced to right lane it under 50 MPH. I'm gritting my teeth as lesser cars whiz by. (I'm sporting the American style, gas & space saving mini spare)

:2:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Good thing the spare was inflated. Most people forget about it and when they need it, they've got 2 flat tires.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Another candidate for a full size spare!
Hope you don't have to pay too much for the replacement!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I remind myself yearly to check the spare.... it is usually only down about 10 lbs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i got a flat this past saturday and had to drive home with the spair.. how depressing was that.. i could not bare staring at my Mo with a spair.. for a 30,000+ vehicle you would think you would atleast have a full size spair.. i just plugged it up and went on my way.. i need to shop around for a new set because i got a slow leak on one of my tires.. let us know how much a replacement tire is going to run you so i can get an idea as well

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
More cars are coming with NO spare.
I think Vette started that here in the US.
They give you what are called "run Flat" tires.

I don't know that they are a good idea either.
You gain the space of the Spare tire and you gain the ability to drive somewhere to get them fixed/replaced (50 [email protected]).

But you don't handle as well with these tires and they are expensive.

Trade offs, always trade offs.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Its not a bad idea to carry a can of fix-a-flat around in the back as well. Its not a permanent fix, but it will be enough to get you off the freeway and away from dangerous traffic to put on the actual spare. Let the tire shop worry about the mess these things make inside the tire, safety is #1.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got her back.

An exact replacement, installed, balanced etc. Was $154 including tax.

When the guy was putting the spare back, He and I noticed it would only store properly VALVE STEM DOWN. I wonder if that's to protect the stem..... Anyway, in order to check the pressure, you have to undo the holddown screw and flip the spare over.

Is that the case with the full size spares? Maybe I'll find a longer holddown screw.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mr3Putt said:
Got her back.

An exact replacement, installed, balanced etc. Was $154 including tax.

When the guy was putting the spare back, He and I noticed it would only store properly VALVE STEM DOWN. I wonder if that's to protect the stem..... Anyway, in order to check the pressure, you have to undo the holddown screw and flip the spare over.

Is that the case with the full size spares? Maybe I'll find a longer holddown screw.....
Yes......otherwise there is no room for the subwoofer.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Eric L. said:
Its not a bad idea to carry a can of fix-a-flat around in the back as well. Its not a permanent fix, but it will be enough to get you off the freeway and away from dangerous traffic to put on the actual spare. Let the tire shop worry about the mess these things make inside the tire, safety is #1.
Excellent idea. I would just make sure to get a "non-flamable" type. I had a friend who dropped one of these cans inside his house and set the place on fire, both him and his wife had to spend over a month in a hospital.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Excellent idea. I would just make sure to get a "non-flamable" type. I had a friend who dropped one of these cans inside his house and set the place on fire, both him and his wife had to spend over a month in a hospital.
*Mental note* - go check can of fix-a-flat in car today. Discard in NEIGHBOR'S garbage can if flammable. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
A compact 12v air compressor is invaluable. Better than cans, and will even let you drive to repair facility, unless you got a big hole.

·
4,601 Posts
Eric L. said:

*Mental note* - go check can of fix-a-flat in car today. Discard in NEIGHBOR'S garbage can if flammable. :D
LOL! You're naughty!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts