Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, after a fun night at a comedy club with some friends, a cop pulled me over for tinting the front windows. But before I knew he told me that, I was scared he would smell my alcohol breath, thank GOD he didn't. I only had two girly drinks, so maybe the fruity smell cleared the alcohol. Later on, he said he had an emergency and had to leave, but would send me a summon. Don't know what will happen, but hope for the best. But that SUCKS!!! Several cops had driven by before and never pulled me over, but I guess at 1am might be a little dark. The tint was the least dark of all the tint. Bad luck that night I suppose. I'm in NJ.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
How dark is your tint? I haven't had any problems with the law due to tint and I have limo (5%) on EVERY window. I can't even see out at night!

BTW - don't expect anything short of being flamed by some of the members for having 2 drinks and then driving. (Not that I care or anything) Just a heads up.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't know about your state, but in California you'd get a fix-it ticket. It doesn't cost you any money, you just have to fix the problem and then bring the car in to be inspected. In your case, you'd have to remove tint.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Caruso, why worry about Whitemo getting flamed?

You are the one who is sharing the road with us and can't see out at night...........

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
Sorry for the ticket,

but why would anyone want to have windshield tinted? What about visibility at night?

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
hyperbole

I can see out at night. If I couldnt I'd prolly have gotten in a wreck or something....

but no.

·
Matthew Lesko
102 Posts
Kris said:
Sorry for the ticket,

but why would anyone want to have windshield tinted? What about visibility at night?
I don't think he has his windshield tinted. The ticket was for front and passenger window tint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hfelknor
I think caruso was just being nice. As for the limo tint that he has, I think it looks awesome to match the rear windows. I would do the same too, but was just a little cautious. Just to clarify to everyone, that even the dark 5% tint has good visibility from the inside, but looks dark from the outside. My lexus has 5% on all the windows except for the front windshield, and I have no problem driving at night.

·
5,268 Posts
oops, now I understand...............

;)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"Just to clarify to everyone, that even the dark 5% tint has good visibility from the inside,"

just what do you think the 5% refers to?

Homer

·
Registered
487 Posts
Any tint on your front windows is illegal in New Jersey.

Sorry :(

Most of the time a cop will stop you, give you a warning/summons/fix-it ticket and you will have to have it removed before inspection.

If you take a tinted-front-window MO to NJ inspection, they will fail it.

Of course, given the NJ inspection laws, you won't know that until A) a cop stops you B) you take your car in for inspection in 2007 (if bought in 2003).

·
Registered
777 Posts
Caruso - with 5% limo tint over the factory which is about 25-30% you would have about 1.5% of light!
Those are some dark shades. :cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
i had this worry when i tinted my front windows. when i asked my cop friend if my tint was legal, he said not to worry, since its such a pain to judge tint. he said that they have to get out a tint meter and adjust and check. so maybe that's an out for you. not sure where you exactly are, but in new york, they have to prove your tint is illegal. if the man didn't pull out a "tint meter" i'm pretty sure you can fight it.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Luckily they don't care here. The legal limit for front window tint is 35% here. I've had 15% on my Murano and my last vehicle for about 3 years, and I've been pulled over many times. The police have never mentioned it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts