Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought in 6 quarts of Mobil1 with me I had left over from doing my oil changes on my last car. I told the service d00d that is what I wanted in it.
I went to the back after yakkin with the salesman that sold me the car...he still remembered my name, cool.
When I got back to the shop area I saw da Mo sittin there in a bay, it looked as if nothing had been done to it. The mechanic came out of a door and was wiping his hands dry, jumped in and cranked it up. He saw me standin there and asked if it was mine. I said, "yes, did you use the mobil oil I put in the passenger floorboard?" He looked down and went "woops". He had already finished changing the oil. So he immediately raised her back up and drained the new oil out and put the mobil in and away I went. It was free, without question.
Am I happy?
Hell yes. Not only did I get my oil changed but I got the engine flushed with their oil.
BONUS!
:D

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
If you are using synthetic, you might consider a better filter. The PureOne is the best "name brand" one out there, probably 40% better than the OEM.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Nissan OEM filter is an excellent filter. Its kind of small, but it also has a very tightly packed filter element, and has filtering area comparable to the larger filters. I've seen the filter cut open and the construction is very solid, at least as good as the popular aftermarket filters like Pure One or Mobil One.

I personally don't care what filter people use as long as its not a Fram!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It would have to be tightly packed, since it is only the size of a teacup.
After reading about the disaster with the Toyota 3.0 V6 (same filter size), it's Amsoil synthetic and the big Amsoil combo full flow/bypass filter system for me (about 10X the capacity of the OEM filter).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Initially I thought the filter was small, but its the same filter across the 3.5L V6 line and I have not heard of any oil related failures, so I have confidence in Nissan engineering. There is nothing wrong with adding an additional margin of safety of going with a bypass filter or synthetics, but it is certainly not a necessity. If we really wanted our vehicles to last much longer, we would also install auxillary transmission and oil coolers, larger radiators, and never rev the engine to redline.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Oil filter

To Eric L
I have use Mobil 1 with a fram filter in three of my vechiles for over 15 years and the last one I sold had 260,000Km on it. I am curious on what the problem that you have had with that type of filter?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Oil filter

Stoker said:
To Eric L
I have use Mobil 1 with a fram filter in three of my vechiles for over 15 years and the last one I sold had 260,000Km on it. I am curious on what the problem that you have had with that type of filter?

In the oil filter analyses I have seen, the frams that are cut open reveal poorly made parts such as cardboard backing plates (instead of metal), poor fitting drainback valves (or lack thereof), and smaller filtering element area. Perhaps the premium Fram filters (the ones $7-8) are better, but I'd be hesitant to choose it over a $4.50 Nissan filter.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
I am using Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 oil filter. I believe this combination works very well. Also, saving of $4/oil change (oil filter price difference) is not important. Quality is.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
A good site which compares the Nissan OEM and Fram filter is:

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/515

This was a comparison of a Nissan Maxima oil filter, and is representative of the high quality Nissan OEM filter. The price is in Canadian dollars.

At ~$5 each (the price I get my filters for after 20% off list) the Nissan OEM is a fantastic value for a high quality filter. And yes I also use a new 50 cent Nissan crush gasket on my drainplug with every change.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Oil filters

Thanks for all the info. I called my dealership and they quoted me $9.99(Cdn) for one filter and $8.49 each for a 6 pack, guess which deal I am going for. I will change my filter tonight when I get home.

·
5,244 Posts
Eric L.

thanks for the info. This is exactly what I preach - life cycle cost. A few dollars difference in purchase price is more than compensated by quality and engine performance/reliability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts