Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this installed in their car. Just picked up 2003 fully loaded SE AWD with leather and I want to get a GPS system hooked up, which I can also hook up a PS2 to. Any suggestions?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
what do u mean? factory gps or aftermarket?

If for factory gps, there was a post several days ago about this. Conclusion: the retrofit is not worth it. If aftermarket, from the cheapest to the most expensive:

A) ipaq (pda) and gps antenna (delorme) plus gps software for.
This is the setup i am using. So far, works like charm. If i have extra dough ($$$) after this holiday season, i want to go option C or D.

B) aftermarket gps unit, like garmin 2160. Saw one in best buy. Looks cool and stealthy. Pricey($899?)

C) pioneer/kenwood/sony lcd plus gps controller box and antena. The software will be propietary for which ever brand of gps unit you are getting. Around $1500 - $2000 i think. Very expensive to upgrade software/maps as the software is proprietary. Also will be hard to find location to mount the lcd, i dont think you can just replace the factory lcd (function)...maybe i am wrong.

D) create a car puter = car computer. Basically an lcd, mini computer using an DC inverter, and gps software. Again, hard to find a location to mount lcd but really easy to find cheap upgradeable software. This thing is really hot in car mods these days. Do a search in google, you will see what i mean.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
GPS:

I use a Garmin GPSMap 76s, which has a nice large screen,

it has a lot of great features, which are the same as the GPS system in the car (not color though) (the only thing I don't know of is if the MO version will plot a "street" route, rather then a "as the crow flies" like the garmin does)

The 76S , has uploadable maps, (city details, waterways, topo, etc.. and has better data then the MO wouldh have)

I use mine all the time.. the only "problem" is the security issue..
I have to hide it everytime I park the car.. (damn thiefs..)

·
Registered
719 Posts
The factory NAV allows you to select which view of the screen you prefer, the "Birdseye" (my personal choice) or the "flat map" version.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Will the Factory Nav, "plot" the course according to the streets? or will it do it "as the crow flies" ??

·
Registered
719 Posts
It plots it street by street, turn by turn.

There's also an option to review the planned route, turn by turn without the graphic map overlay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts