Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that one winter is over with and we're about to start the next, let's hear from everyone who bought these Dunlop winter tires (I expect it'll only be Canadians -- I don't think Dunlop made them available in the US).

Were they honestly worth the investment?

I've had Dunlops previously on my last 2 Pathfinders (one set stock; other set replacement) and was not impressed at all with them in any regard. While neither set was a true winter tire, I was surprised at just how poorly they performed in all aspects, not just snow.

I'm still considering Nokians. Their website shows the Hakka 2 (?) winter tire with a soon-to-be-released size of 255/60R18, which is a virtual clone for our size in terms of effects on the speedo and odo. Granted, they're gonna be more expensive. And granted, wider is NOT better for winter tires. But I've had such terrible experiences with Dunlop (and parent Goodyear), I'm extremely hesitant about forking out the $$ for their products. Given that I frequently do 7 hour trips (each way) to Sudbury in the winter, I'm looking for the winter rubber now more than ever, since the stock rubber now have 30K+ kms on them.

Any and all comments GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an extra set of Mo wheels (ebay) and am having trouble finding a reasonably priced 18 inch snow tire. We spend a lot of time in Vt. in the winter and would able to travel to Canada to purchase the SJ5 tires. A previous post mentioned $150 Canadian which is abut half what I have been quoted by Tire Rack for an 18 inch Dunlap snow. Hence, ANY info on the SJ5 in 18 inch would be greatly appreciated. The Dunlap web site doesn't offer any info on this tire. Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
21 Posts
I believe I have been one of the first on this site to buy and report on the SJ5 for the Murano. After one winter, I have driven some 10K Km on them and they still look new. This is good news for durability but could be bad for winter performance but it is not the case. Their performance was tested under Quebec city conditions, lots of snow, ice, melting snow (we call it slush here)) temperature ranging from lows of -40 (same in ¡F and ¡C) impressive on the Murano in terms of snow clearing, deep snow plowing (I tested the Murano-SJ5 combination doing stop and go in 3 feet of fresh snow) Note 1 problem occured as a result, squeeking sound from underneat especially when backing-up and turning right, it turned out to be the parking brake wire that was squeezed between the rear drive shaft and the underbody. . The best indication of overal performance was in december on a ride between Ottawa and Quebec city (300 miles) in a snow storm with reduced visibility, 5 inches of wet snow on the road and at night. The highway was medium busy with cars going 30 mph on the right lane, tens of 4X4 going 0 mph stuck in the middle between the lanes after sliding out of the way and me going safely and quietly at 60 mph on the left lane because visibility did not permit to test the limit of the Murano-SJ5 capabilities. Weaknesses are present however, the car is not as stable directionnally as with the stock tire on dry roads. The tires side walls are softer and again on dry roads not as fast in tight curves, you must be aware that winter tires are noisier than all seasons but the Murano is well sound insulated and SJ5s are about half way between the quieter and noisier winter tires I had the occasion to ride on. I would say that overall SJ5s offer an excellent price-quality-safety compromise. At least to me the Murano-SJ5 combination and winter constitute the conditions under which I appreciate and enjoy the most to ride.
Have a safe and thrilling winter!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for a very comprehensive review of the SJ5. I'd like to cross the border into Quebec and purchase four. I am about 45 min from Stanstedt in Vermont. Any suggestions on where or how to find the tires close to the Vermont border?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts