Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, guys, am new to this format and posted this in error as a reply elsewhere, so am reposting:

I was searching this forum for information on how to protect the sides of my 05 Murano, and saw that one of you was hadn't seen any loud complaints about rock damage....I HAVE RUST ON MY NEW VEHICLE, I AM P!SSED OFF, this has been cause by rocks being thrown past the splash guards and hitting the front of the rear door and rear quarter panels.

I have had my 05 for about six months, I do drive 75 percent of my kms on gravel, but my previous car, a Grand Prix GT, made 130,000 kms on the same roads, and not a sniff of rust.

Now, of course, my dealership won't do a thing for me except charge $1200.00 for repainting the doors, but what did I expect.

So, the point of my rant, have any of you heard of a good product to put on the lower doors, or a step bar or board that will look good? I already have the splash guards, and they certainly didn't help. If I can't find a solution, I will be switching back to GMC the next vehicle, as I know they make a "Country-folk's truck".

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Perhaps get the doors repainted or touched up and then apply 3M clear cover over the areas.

Do a search for 3M... other have applied it to their MO in various places.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have an '04 MO, and I had gravel damage on my side rockers as well... I live in the Boston area, and it's just crap and sand (during the winters) that is spun from the tires. All I can do is use touch up paint on the pits and rusted spots...

I came from an '96 explorer and don't recall that much damage in 8+ years I owned it. I wonder if it's b/c the wheels are so big (18" in the MO vs. 15" in the Explorer)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
What color MO do you have? Another cheap option would be to replicate magnetbra for the doors. Go to a magnet sign store and see if they have magnet sheets in your color. Then buy a blank sheet cut to the shape of the area you want to protect and stick it on! It will be removable for washing and waxing and will hardly show on the car when it is on.

·
Registered
415 Posts
There was actually talk about a group buy for the 3M or equivalent. But that is a really good option, assuming you get the doors touched up.

Seriously you have an 05 and there is rust already? I have an 05 and they use salt (a lot of it) here in Minnesota. Just curious, what type of preventative car did you do in prep for the winters (e.g., high grade wax like Klasse)?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cosmetic over Mechanical

I would rather have cosmetic problems over mechanical problems. GM! I get the employee discount and could have gotten a tahoe or trailblazer much cheaper than the MO but everyone I work with has GM vehicles and all I have heard is problems. I'd rather have a vehicle that holds its value and lasts mosre than 5 years.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
myshylo-

My recommendation is to install larger mud flaps. I read a post from another member (who I believe lives in Canada) who also does quite a bit of traveling on gravel roads (mine inspector, if I remember correctly). He had the same problem so he added supplemental flaps to the existing ones. Supposedly that takes care of the problem. It makes sense and is cheaper than the other alternatives.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My MO is platinum, and once I get the damage repaired, I will be installing the 3M product and as soon as I get into the city, I will be purchasing wider mudflaps. Hopefully this also stops the annoying problem with the dust on the rear window as well.

I guess my disappointment comes from the fact that they will have a recall for potential damage to the fuel tank from rocks being thrown from the tires, but Nissan won't admit that there is a design flaw that causes that...and body damage. If there is a problem, design the flaps different, or put a plastic body piece higher on the side panels, don't quote my $1200.00 to repaint all four doors, when I know my local auto body place will do it for less than $400.00! We only bought our MO in September, had all of the preventative coatings...undercoating, paint guard, and interior stain guard, a person would think that you wouldn't find these problems especially so soon. I certainly paid alot more than I would have for a GM or Ford, but I wanted the value of my vehicle to hold for a few years, but rust damage doesn't do a whole lot for the resale value, does it?

Thanks for all of your replies, I look forward to anything else!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts