Nissan Murano Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,108 Posts
Oftentimes, the part is called a transmission output shaft seal (LH). If there's a NAPA Auto Parts near you, here is their seal (it actually looks like an SKF seal): NOS 15372

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Inspect all the sides of the hole where the seal is gonna sit. Make sure there are no gouges. The damage seems way in the back -should be ok. Always buy 2 seals just in case you mess up. I would get the Nissan brand.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So finally I got the seal (new OEM one) come in using the seal driver. Still 2 things though:

• The seal went in, though even across all edge, a bit too deep ( like 1mm). Is that still okay?
  • The inner ring of the seal has small crack (probably due to being pressed be the seal driver’s bolt ). Is it okay to put some thread sealant there? I would hate to have to buy a new one and do all of this over again.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
279 Posts
So finally I got the seal (new OEM one) come in using the seal driver. Still 2 things though:
  • The seal went in, though even across all edge, a bit too deep ( like 1mm). Is that still okay?
  • The inner ring of the seal has small crack (probably due to being pressed be the seal driver’s bolt ). Is it okay to put some thread sealant there? I would hate to have to buy a new one and do all of this over again.
If you're going to patch it, get some red RTV sealant. I don't think that blue thread sealant is going to do anything for that seal, except perhaps make you have to take everything apart later on to repair it again. If you have another seal on hand, change it again. If you leave this as it is, or fix it, and it fails, are you okay with doing the entire job again? That's really the question to ask yourself. If it were me, I'd replace the seal again. It's good practice anyway, and you'll be a pro the next time you have to do one. :)

EDIT: Also, in order to use any kind of sealant, you're going to have to use some kind of chemical to clean up the gashes. Using a chemical on that seal could cause it to fail prematurely, and if you don't clean it thoroughly enough, any sealant you use might not hold things together for a long time.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,108 Posts
The seal should be flush with the transmission case, but I wouldn't try to correct it at this point. I'd put the axle in, fill up whatever CVT fluid was lost and see if it leaks after driving it a while. If it doesn't, leave it alone. If it does, then obviously it needs to be redone with a new seal.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
When using the seal driver, pick the size that only sits on the outer part of the seal. To avoid any damage in the inner part like that. It’s probably gonna leak. It looks a little too deep. Flush to a hair in is ok but that looks more than that.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts