Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was, filling up with gas when I looked down and saw a smear of black stuff on my door. I dabbed it with my finger and found out it was the black grease they use to lube certain parts of your car.

Apparently this happened at the dealer. I brought it in last week for my 7500 mile service. I didn't notice it before because my car was fairly dirty, and it's black. Black grease on a black MO is tough to spot.

So, I washed the car today. After my first wash I took a look and I was shocked to find out how much grease was actually sprayed all over the drivers side. Little globs here and there. Spots here and there. I spent a good 15 minutes using some very tough elbow grease to get all the spots out!!

Now, what would you guys do if this happened to you? I know I'm going to call the dealer and complain. It looks like they were having fights with the grease gun. Apparantly at my MO's expense! And it figures my receipt doesn't have the name of the technician on it, like the receipt for my 3750 did.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would not run out and put the blame on the dealer. I personally have not brought in my car yet for it's first service and the drivers side has quite a few spots of grease on it which happened just recently at about 5,500KM and was obviously picked up from the road and thrown up by the wheel. As far as I know, the newer vehicules do not even have any zerks to grease and use sealed bushings/bearings/tie rod ends or something of a similar nature depending on what it is. My point is, they don't grease them anymore so how could you blame the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think mordel means grease on the door hinges. This is a pretty standard service procedure. Of course it is not needed, but it can't hurt. It is true that there are no more "lube points" on modern cars since most grease points are sealed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, I buy a new car and I learn new things every day. I'm use to bringing my old cars into my mechanic and watching him grease everything to high heaven.

Ok, so I shouldn't assume it was from the dealer then. It was a pretty good spatter over the entire drivers side from front panel to rear. Heaver on the drivers door and front panel.

It did come off though, so it wasn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
mordel said:
See, I buy a new car and I learn new things every day. I'm use to bringing my old cars into my mechanic and watching him grease everything to high heaven.

Ok, so I shouldn't assume it was from the dealer then. It was a pretty good spatter over the entire drivers side from front panel to rear. Heaver on the drivers door and front panel.

It did come off though, so it wasn't a big deal.

It was probably from the dealer, but its nothing to worry about. If you do not want it in future, you can ask them not to grease your door hinges. Personally I paid $2 for a tube of high temp lithium grease and did the job myself. Its not necessary but I used the grease to quite down my garage door and thought oh well while I am at it....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Grease globs are fairly common on the road and usually fall off from the big rigs which are greased like crazy. The excess which comes out the sides just keeps on building up until it eventually gets heavy enough to fall off when they hit a bump or from the heat of the sun. Usually the door hinges are lubricated with a liquid style lubricant in a spray can with an extension tube, which allows the product to flow into the smaller areas and after a few minutes it hardens up slightly so it is no longer wet. I do not see how it is possible to lube it properly with grease and it would be messy if you did.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If it is confirmed that the dealer got the goop on your car, voice your dissatisfaction. Brought the MO is for it's fist lube a few weeks ago and really gave it the once over when they finsihed. The dealer had greased the inside door panel on my 02 Altima on its first visit and I let em have it. They gave me a card for a complimentry oil change the next time and cleaned the goop from my interior. Not sure how you can prove this. BTW, I have not yet researched the fittings on the MO, are we sealed and not in need of grease or do we have required lube fittings?
Bob1

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
bob1 said:
If it is confirmed that the dealer got the goop on your car, voice your dissatisfaction. Brought the MO is for it's fist lube a few weeks ago and really gave it the once over when they finsihed. The dealer had greased the inside door panel on my 02 Altima on its first visit and I let em have it. They gave me a card for a complimentry oil change the next time and cleaned the goop from my interior. Not sure how you can prove this. BTW, I have not yet researched the fittings on the MO, are we sealed and not in need of grease or do we have required lube fittings?
Bob1
I think most cars built in the last ten years have had sealed fittings. So if the dealer charges you for a "lube job" (which I always thought was a grease job, as opposed to an oil change, since its called "oil and lube") then you should complain. There is nothing to lubricate on the Murano. Maybe except for the door hinges hehe.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Lubing the door hinges gives the dealer something to do for the outlandish cost, and mostly unnecessary, "service" he performs. If he gets grease all over your car, it is evidence he did SOMETHING!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree...I spray a little white lithium spray lube on the hinges (can costs about $2). fact is most everything up until about the 30K service can be done at home with normal hand tools.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts