Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been of the mindset that I wasted a chunk of money by getting the NAVI since I've never even used it unless I was farting around. Today, there was a huge holdup at the light right before my workplace and it was backed up for 2 miles at least. I immediately made a u-turn and navigated my way past the hold up through the most convoluted MAZE I have ever seen and still got to work right on time. I seriously never would have been able to find my way thru that area without the NAVI. After getting to work I noted to the wifey that getting the Navi was the best decision I ever made! :D

So to all you doubters out there, just wait for a day like this and you will realize how indispensable the NAVI truly is! To all you potential Murano owners out there, don't skimp on the NAVI!!

Just thought I'd share.....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I agree. I've had my Magellan Roadmate for about 3 years now. The automatic rerouting feature is incredible. I like the fact I can take I with me into other cars as well.

The factory NAV is cool, but if you didn't get one, check out the Magellan's.
:runaway:

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Did you do it the "low tech way" (i.e. looking at the screen) or did you let the nav assemble a detour for you? I often program my destination even if I've done the trip a thousand times precisely because of the fact that with 70 miles of road between work and home, I can't possibly know all of the side roads and tricks. Having had my Garmin Streetpilot III for a few years, I have many stories of "juking" traffic jams by using the detour function. Thank goodness I've had GPS for years since I had the experience to know there was no way whatsoever I was going to buy the car without Nav. It really is invaluable.

The latest story was coming home from Florida a couple weeks ago. We hit a wall of stopped traffic. I requested a five mile detour from Nancy, and it turned out the road the exit about 400 feet ahead led to paralleled 95 for about 15 miles with entrances back onto 95 every few miles. Cut across traffic, got onto the country road, and came back out onto 95 with just a trickle of cars (the highway must've been closed for an accident). We kept looking at 95 through the trees and you could occasionally see all the traffic dead stopped and then suddenly it was gone.

Nancy saved the day once again.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
EasternPA said:
...I requested a five mile detour....
There are so many times that this has saved me over the past year of owning my car that I no longer consider getting a NAV unit an option. It's standard for any car I look at from this point on! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unless someone can convince me otherwise (and nobody has yet), an OEM navigation system is a ripoff. Is it functional, useful, and extremely handy? Yes it is.

However, a Garmin 2610 or 2620 is more functional, more useful, and more handy. It also costs about half as much and can be used in multiple vehicles, including rentals.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The oEM gives you a color info screen
There are actually some features avail in Info that are not there without NAV and the color screen is much more readable in the sun than the standard screen.

I wish I had gotten the NAV.

Homer

·
Registered
225 Posts
EasternPA, did you name your NAVI "Nancy"?

That's funny, we named our NAVI "Tammy". It just fit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hfelknor said:
The oEM gives you a color info screen
There are actually some features avail in Info that are not there without NAV and the color screen is much more readable in the sun than the standard screen.

I wish I had gotten the NAV.

Homer
Go and get yourself the 2610 or 2620. You'll come out ahead $$$ wise. Plus, you won't have to buy another one when you replace your Murano.

The Garmin is a color screen and it's resolution is every bit as good as the OEM. As for the other "info" I'm not sure what all that is. But I'm thinking it probably isn't worth the extra $$$$ over the Garmin.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You don't have a Murano, do you?

Homer

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Because you said

"As for the other "info" I'm not sure what all that is."

Seems to me that you should be very aware of the great amount of data that is shown on the Info Screen in the Murano.
Just tons of it, on seemingly all the subsystems. AM, FM, CD, Audio, MPG, Maint, System parameters, Trips, etc, etc, etc.

I find the yellow Murano screen to be nearly worthless in the sunlight.
I find the color screen of the NAV system to be so much better for readability.

Obviously no one is going to change your mind that you have found a "better" way to do NAV, but I was just pointing out that there were some other advantages of the NAV system that you might have overlooked.

As to whether it is worth it or not has to do perhaps with disposable income and priorities and is not an absolute.
I just wish I had done it.
I have the money and now, with this lousy yellow screen, I have the need. :>)
You. OTOH, are quite plesed with your aftermarket.

Different strokes.

Homer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Homer:

You wrote:
There are actually some features avail in Info that are not there without NAV

What are these features?

Since I don't have the navigation I don't know what features are in Info that are not available to people without NAV.

I'm fully aware of great amount of data that is available in Info as well as every other feature for that center console. You implied that there are additional info features when you get NAV.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I was afraid you were going to ask me that.
I don't remember but I remember somebody here with a NAV mentioned something that the rest of us didn't have that had no connection to the NAV.

jaak? can you remember????

Homer

Oh, maybe it's just that they USE the color and do some parameters in one color and another parameter in another color on the same screen?
But I have a memory that it is something beyond that........

I honestly don't remember.

It's hard to do these kind of comparos. because we don't know the details of what the NAV guys have and they don't know that they perhaps have somethig we don't.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
FlyerNo9 said:
EasternPA, did you name your NAVI "Nancy"?

That's funny, we named our NAVI "Tammy". It just fit.
Yeah, I named my Garmin Streetpilot III Color "Gwen" for "Gwen P. Stefani" (unsure about her real middle initial). And since I kept it for my wife's car when I bought the Murano, I couldn't go and call the new one Gwen, too. I used to have a stepsister named "Nancy Morano", so just as "Tammy" fit for you, "Nancy" was my first and most obvious choice. Besides, I couldn't use my ex-stepmother's name, Gloria. Just doesn't flow as well as Nancy does.

So yes, for MarkY, the only thing better than having one Nav is having two. We brought Gwen along for the cross country trip just as backup in case some of my handiwork cutting wires behind the Nav screen weren't up to snuff and we had to do without Nav video. Luckily, my crimps have held just fine and the video has never cut out on me. With a roundtrip to Cali and another to Florida, that's about 8k miles down the road. So far, so good.

I would like to get my hands on the cable bundle that connects the display controller to the display and fabricate a REAL Y-connector for that bundle. Cutting those wires was NOT FUN.

·
4,601 Posts
The monochrome display gives you Channel Name, Artist and Song all at once, on SAT. The Nav screen forces you to pick one.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Eastern

I named my Nav Nina. It's good to have a name for it so you can shout at someone else other than your wife when you've made a wrong turn.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
"Nina the Nav", I like it! One of the things I like the most is how patient they are. No matter how many times you miss a turn, they just recalculate and give you another way to get there. For folks without Nav altogether, its a totally different experience.

Oh, and for the guy bashing the built-in Nav:
  • Ours lowers the stereo before talking
  • We don't have to load new maps to take road trips
  • Our display is twice as large and can take aux video input while still telling us turn instructions by voice
  • We can search for businesses by phone number, and see phone numbers in search results (call ahead for reservations)
  • Ours works without satellite in tunnels and parking garages (it doesn't die in NJ and wake up in NYC, only to recalculate)
  • Ours has bird's eye view and we can use the joystick to "spin" around our current location to see what's nearby
  • We can ask for the nearest gas, hospital, restaurant, atm, parking garage, and a user-defined POI in 2 clicks, and they get added as waypoints not new destinations
  • Waypoints are actually EASY to program
  • No stretching to reach the buttons (I had to rest my chest on my steering wheel to reach my SP3 in the Xterra -- only safe spot)
  • It doesn't occupy a 12v socket and leave wires in the passenger compartment
  • Can't be stolen in a smash 'n grab (every single time I used to park, I would hide the unit under the passenger seat)
  • (7th edit!) We have a 50-entry address book
  • We can select areas to avoid from 500 feet to 20 miles across and even choose places from the address book (i.e. avoid the George Washington Bridge just for this trip)
And for my Streetpilot III
  • The search results list dynamically updates as I drive (great for browsing an area with many restaurants)
  • Its great in rental cars (if you don't want to pay $10 for theirs)
  • Free update downloads until the next major version (BIG win)
  • It zooms in tighter than our bird's eye view (but not our flat view)
  • It doesn't warn you to NOT get off a highway at each major intersection (another BIG win)
  • You can loan it to friends who will pay you back in beer!! (huge win!)
  • I can tap serial out to my laptop (but I lose the voice)
  • And by tapping serial, I can use it to sync all my PCs and servers to with 20msec of GPS time when its not in the car
  • Serial is also good for getting lat/long when wardriving for wigle.net
  • It averages your actual speed for a REAL ETA calc and can show the ETA as clock time, not elapsed time
My point is, I have both and my Streetpilot III has its benefits. It is half cost but its certainly not much more useful or functional.

·
Registered
65 Posts
EasternPA:

Very good write-up.

That being said, I wasn't "bashing" the OEM navigation. I just think you get a much bigger bang for your buck with the Garmin. Also, I was comparing the 2610 or 2620, NOT the StreetPilot III. Big difference.

A lot of what you mentioned for the built-in Nav can be done on the 2610. The 2610/20 also comes with a remote. Business phone numbers, etc.

Thanks for the comparison, it is nice to know.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
And its nice to know that Garmin has come a long way in their techology. Is it true the 2610 has an optional hard drive? What's the capacity? And a remote!?!? That's a huge improvement. And with the business phone numbers, can you search by them or only view them in search results? Still, it is handy and I've used that for calling restaurants while I was on the way. Not quite the Acura commercial showing off the bluetooth, but getting there :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 2610 and 2620 are the exact same models except that the 2620 has a hard drive.

I'm not sure of the size of the hard drive, but it comes loaded with all of North America so there is no need to load any additional maps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts